unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta2-x86_64 Available

limetech

Oh and yeah, bitrot which IMO seems overhyped. I did break down and hash my ISO and MKV files just to check.

1.) Losing data can NEVER be over hyped

2.) Not all of my data comes from torrents I can hash check. I have plenty of personal documents that would just get corrupted

Umm, none of my movies are from torrents and I have 100s of hours invested in ripping and compressing them. I used a Windows based program called Hashcheck to create hashes by file type. It took more than two days to do it for all of my movies... I could as easily do this for documents but frankly flipping a single bit in them is less likely to have disastrous consequences. Hashcheck can also check against the stored hashes to find errors.

But why bother if your file system will do it for you seamlessly?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't told it had to be done in mirrored pairs just that it was a good idea and would allow the easy expansion I have with unRAID sorta.

I know the ZFS can be run on more normal RAID. In the end I concluded that a more "normal" RAID wasn't going to meet my needs but it did make for a pretty interesting conversation over there if you wanted to check it out lol

P.S. yes, I'd love it if the file system generated and checked my data with hashes and created snapshots so long as it didn't blow up if all my "slack space" was used for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my mind, I'd like to be able to have a VM live on a cache drive, on it's own share that isn't backed up directly.  The backup would be a stop, a snapshot, and a start in the middle of the night to co-incide with a cache drive backup process.  Transfer the snapshot to the array with the rest of the cache drive every night as normal.

FWIW, I wouldn't like a backup plan that involves a mandatory shutdown of the VMs. In my mind the VMs need to be servers -- always up just like unRaid. So I was thinking of in-VM backup solutions. BTW, the proper way to back up Xen VMs seems to be to export them. It seems to be a nontrivial exercise to automate it. http://www.howtogeek.com/131181/how-to-backup-citrix-xen-vms-for-free-with-xen-pocalypse-bash/

Yeah. I'm allergic to backing up running VMs.  I would want to freeze the machine state before writing it to disk, and then unfreeze it when done. Otherwise you end up booting a filesystem where some parts are temporally out of sync with other parts. 

At that point I'd rather rsync back to the unraid host instead and just consider it a hand rebuild operation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Haven't found a speed comparison with Reiser yet but BTRFS seems to compare well in the Pharonix test I'm reading against EXT4 and others, they aren't using compression though which could actually speed things. Very interesting, I may have to spin a VM to play!

Got some of the hardware to get the test system spun up but may have to hack it together some. I'll grab a USB tomorrow and try to take 6x for a spin on fast 64bit hardware :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found this text when googling on BTRFS and VM

The Ugly:

Running VM's when having their virtual HDD's stored in a BTRFS partition is
DEATH!
They're very slow, sometimes they open, sometimes they not, usually they
freeze, You can't
work with them. Same thing about Gnome Shell working over a BTRFS partition:
it is really slow,
sometimes it reacts but most of the time is pretty unresponsive.

I see talks of making plugins to manage VMs/Xen... we'll be able to use XenCenter on windows right, or is that limtied to managing "XenServer"?

I was thinking 'why not just use virt-manager?' but just realised that needs X capabilities which unRAID won't have, I presume?

Running unRAID in a VM is looking more attractive until a decent VM manager plug-in is available. virt-manager might be a good model for functionality, with the additional ability to set Xen config for things like pinning, memory, PCI passthrough etc. Quite a task, I'd imagine?

Maybe something like webvirtmanager would be a good for a starting point?

Sorry people time to fork your discussion again.

Where can we fork it somewhere Tom will actually see? Because this seems to be the best place for a running discussion with him

Unfortunately whilst that is true it comes at the expense of many others and the very specific point of this one forum category.

Fork, link here and then once you have some conclusions perhaps PM or mail him. Tom is one guy and it is better to have something concrete as a POC/plan than bombard him with countless opinion posts and debates.

If he is really interested he will follow the fork.

I found this text when googling on BTRFS and VM

The Ugly:

Running VM's when having their virtual HDD's stored in a BTRFS partition is
DEATH!
They're very slow, sometimes they open, sometimes they not, usually they
freeze, You can't
work with them. Same thing about Gnome Shell working over a BTRFS partition:
it is really slow,
sometimes it reacts but most of the time is pretty unresponsive.

That's from a pretty old discussion (July 2011), not sure it still applies.

My mover script and email notifications aren't working.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jan 30 01:47:01 Tower crond[19390]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron output for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 1> /dev/null to /dev/null 
Jan 30 01:54:43 Tower kernel: mdcmd (81): spindown 2 (Routine)
Jan 30 01:54:55 Tower kernel: mdcmd (82): spindown 5 (Routine)
Jan 30 02:09:28 Tower kernel: mdcmd (83): spindown 4 (Routine)
Jan 30 02:11:29 Tower kernel: mdcmd (84): spindown 1 (Routine)
Jan 30 02:13:15 Tower unmenu[5479]: sh: /usr/sbin/smartctl: cannot execute binary file
Jan 30 02:20:59 Tower last message repeated 3 times
Jan 30 02:21:00 Tower last message repeated 2 times
Jan 30 02:36:40 Tower kernel: mdcmd (85): spindown 1 (Routine)
Jan 30 02:47:01 Tower crond[22413]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron output for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 1> /dev/null to /dev/null 
Jan 30 03:15:53 Tower unmenu[5479]: sh: /usr/sbin/smartctl: cannot execute binary file
Jan 30 03:15:53 Tower last message repeated 2 times
Jan 30 03:40:01 Tower logger: mover started
Jan 30 03:40:01 Tower logger: moving DVDs/
Jan 30 03:40:11 Tower logger: ./DVDs/BLURAY/Grown Ups 2.mkv
Jan 30 03:40:11 Tower logger: /usr/bin/rsync: /usr/bin/rsync: cannot execute binary file
Jan 30 03:40:11 Tower logger: ./DVDs/BLURAY/Grown Ups.mkv
Jan 30 03:40:11 Tower logger: /usr/bin/rsync: /usr/bin/rsync: cannot execute binary file
Jan 30 03:40:11 Tower logger: mover finished
Jan 30 03:47:01 Tower crond[23151]: unable to exec /usr/sbin/sendmail: cron output for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 1> /dev/null to /dev/null 
Jan 30 03:55:11 Tower kernel: mdcmd (86): spindown 5 (Routine)

• 7 months later...

X11 forwarding ;)

What packages do we need for forwarding other than fonts and xauth?

I highly recommend not to bother with X11 forwarding on unRAID.  This would require a lot of packages installed on the server and there are better ways to accomplish this than that.

X11 forwarding ;)

What packages do we need for forwarding other than fonts and xauth?

I highly recommend not to bother with X11 forwarding on unRAID.  This would require a lot of packages installed on the server and there are better ways to accomplish this than that.

What would you recommend instead? I'd love a simple solution to move/copy/manipulate the files directly on the machine via some sort of remote tool GUI, versus just accessing the shares

What would you recommend instead? I'd love a simple solution to move/copy/manipulate the files directly on the machine via some sort of remote tool GUI, versus just accessing the shares

I've not read back over your entire thread, so I might be missing something important ...

However, have you considered running a VM with a GUI, accessed via vnc?  If you use KVM, the disks can be accessed via VirtFS instead of using network protocols.  Of course, you would have to upgrade to beta6 (or, in a little while, beta9 - avoid betas7 & 8 ) in order to do this.

On the other hand, if you really just need to move/copy files, then log into unRAID via SSH and run midnight commander.