[REPO] IronicBadgers ArchVM Repo <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome vid!! That's definitely easy enough lol. Was wondering how do we actually edit cfg files on a headless vm install, I guess that's where nano comes in! An editor on terminal.. nvr seen something like that before.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

unRAID doesn't have it pre-installed but I think Tom should consider adding it - infact I'll ask him now it's much user friendly than vi.

why not just use mcedit?

Awesome vid!! That's definitely easy enough lol. Was wondering how do we actually edit cfg files on a headless vm install, I guess that's where nano comes in! An editor on terminal.. nvr seen something like that before.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

unRAID doesn't have it pre-installed but I think Tom should consider adding it - infact I'll ask him now it's much user friendly than vi.

why not just use mcedit?

habit, and it's a tiny thing to add that requires no maintenance.

mysql and xbmc are in the default repo's, not a headless version though. I'll leave that up to someone else and get them to send me a compiled pkg of headless XBMC, at which point I'll add it.

Mysql is called mariadb in the repo's I think.

pacman -S mariadb

ironicbadger would this work on the VM http://bootlegninja.awardspace.com/xbmc-server/

Thanks

MrLondon

Two things to keep in mind. Likely Gotham have settled on a dbase version now but they still may change and sure as guns will change post gotham. XBMC is going the uPnP route over mysql ASAP.

I wouldnt want to base my XBMC library architecture on some bespoke compile at its core and then find I couldnt update anywhere until some unsupported core headless version is working again

Just do what most people do... virtualise a micro desktop version, change the dirty regions, disable rss, set blank screen saver and then forget about it :)

Just do what most people do... virtualise a micro desktop version, change the dirty regions, disable rss, set blank screen saver and then forget about it :)

This virtualized micro desktop version.  You mean on your desktop/workstation or on your unRAID server ?

I'm starting to think what you suggested will be th easiest way to keep the central library updated at all times.  Scraped and artwork all managed as soon as the stuff is downloaded and available to all devices.  But can  XBMC run without a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected unless it's a specific hacked headless build.

Oh, what are these dirty regions you speak of ?

can anyone test and confirm plex starts and works for them after install.  I installed it but the service doe not appear to like starting...

[root@archu_1 tmp]# systemctl status plexmediaserver
plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Sun 2014-02-09 01:18:02 EST; 2s ago
  Process: 10036 ExecStart=/opt/plexmediaserver/start_pms (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 7360 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

Feb 09 01:18:02 archu_1 su[10037]: (to plex) root on none
Feb 09 01:18:02 archu_1 su[10037]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user plex by (uid=0)
Feb 09 01:18:02 archu_1 su[10037]: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user plex
Feb 09 01:18:02 archu_1 start_pms[10036]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
Feb 09 01:18:02 archu_1 systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.

I've pacmanned (?) dropbox, which took a while since it was installing all sorts of things. Finally, i tried to enable it using systemctl:

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 opt]# ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  7 root    root    4096 Feb  5 20:02 dropbox
drwxr-xr-x 16 sabnzbd sabnzbd 4096 Feb  8 17:21 sabnzbd
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 opt]# systemctl enable dropbox
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 opt]#

but as you can see it can not find dropbox? What went wrong?

@peter, thanks. According to the wiki we should enable & start drop with:

systemctl enable dropbox@root

systemctl start dropbox@root

This seems to start it, but now i want to know where dropbox file location is?

I assume somewhere on the arch vm, but where? Does dropbox has a web interface as well?

Also, where do i set my dropbox user credentials? The wiki talks about a popup... but my guess is that wont work on this vm ;)

After installing dropbox on the archvm, the vm won't poweroff, i have to use xl destroy. Even xl shutdown archvm wont work.

After rebooting the unraid machine, using xl create archvm does start it again, it shows up in xl list, but i can not log on to the arch vm anymore...

How do i remove dropbox from the archvm now i can not enter the vm?

Dropbox, and this works for me....

in /etc/systemd/system, create this file [email protected]  and add this text...

.include /usr/lib/systemd/system/[email protected]
[service]
Environment=DISPLAY=%i

To start

systemctl start [email protected]

First time is better to start with dropboxd instead, then you see all the messages is console!  (with info to link this computer to your account)

or execute this, to see the messages.

systemctl status [email protected]

and enable

systemctl enable [email protected]

And to stop

systemctl stop [email protected]

All synced files are in /root/Dropbox

//Peter

you should, then log on to the VM console

xl console archVM

and type the 'poweroff' command directly into the archVM command line - that way you will likely get some useful console output we can use to help.

Nope...

if i do xl console archVM i get:

[    1.342729] i8042: No controller found
[    1.405594] drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
:: running early hook [udev]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: performing fsck on '/dev/xvda1'
/dev/xvda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Duplicate or bad block in use!
/dev/xvda1: Multiply-claimed block(s) in inode 523281: 2133507
/dev/xvda1: Multiply-claimed block(s) in inode 523952: 2133507
/dev/xvda1: (There are 2 inodes containing multiply-claimed blocks.)

/dev/xvda1: File /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra.db (inode #523281, mod time Sat Feb  8 18:08:08 2014)
  has 1 multiply-claimed block(s), shared with 1 file(s):
/dev/xvda1:     /var/log/wtmp (inode #523952, mod time Sun Feb  9 13:34:35 2014)
/dev/xvda1:

/dev/xvda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
        (i.e., without -a or -p options)
ERROR: Bailing out. Run 'fsck /dev/xvda1' manually
********** FILESYSTEM CHECK FAILED **********
*  Please run fsck manually. After leaving  *
*  this maintenance shell, the system will  *
*  reboot automatically.                    *
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs /]#

So i ran the fsck command and after that, restarted the vm and now it's running again...

try to start with dropboxd, then after some time you get a message with a link,  this is to activate the computer to your drobbox account. After you have confirm this on your dropbox account, all sync is started.

I also verified to drop a file on my dropbox (web page) , it's synced  to my VM. I Also deleted files on my VM, and these was removed from my web page.

//Peter