unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta3-x86_64 Available

limetech

Pretty new to unraid, but having read a lot and seen many videos, im very aware of what's happening. (if that makes sense)

Anyway i have a problem that i'm not sure what it can stem from..

After installing and running the beta version of 6.0, installing the unmenu, and using the pkg installer to install screen for preclearing a few discs.. screen does not work at all, it will install, however does not execute.. just says cannot execute binary file. I've also tried the installpkg from tgz downloaded manually, but to no avial.. any ideas??  :-\

unmenu has not been updated to install 64 bit packages. You can't run 32 bit applications on 64 bit unRAID 6.

For 64 bit screen see here and here

great, i thought this might be the case - thank you for confirming.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is also when I noticed the base build does not save the old syslogs in the logs directory, or rotates logs.  For the life of me I cannot remember how I did this in 5.x.  Do we have this ability in 6.x?

This functionality is provided by the powerdown  package, which is available for v6.x.  However, log saving/rotation does depend on powerdown being called - if the system hangs and cannot be shutdown in an orderly fashion, no logs are preserved. One way to capture logging information is to run a tail command in an open console session.

Which is also when I noticed the base build does not save the old syslogs in the logs directory, or rotates logs.  For the life of me I cannot remember how I did this in 5.x.  Do we have this ability in 6.x?

This functionality is provided by the powerdown  package, which is available for v6.x.  However, log saving/rotation does depend on powerdown being called - if the system hangs and cannot be shutdown in an orderly fashion, no logs are preserved. One way to capture logging information is to run a tail command in an open console session.

Thanks Peter!

Where can I grab the powerdown package?

I see it here, but it's from 2008:  https://code.google.com/p/unraid-powercontrol/downloads/list

Thanks!

Hey Tom

Would it be possible to get another update on the status of B4? I know you were originally hoping to make it a Valentine's Day present, but can you tell us if we are likely to get it as an April Fool's day gift now?

I may be mistaken, but it looks like the last heads up on status was March 8th and I am sure we'd all like to know how things are progressing.

Thanks.

Download

mkdir /mnt/cache/Xen

Next let's create a

stacklet

subdirectory and download an Ubuntu image with xfce desktop from the stacklet website:

mkdir /mnt/cache/Xen/stacklet
cd /mnt/cache/Xen/stacklet
wget ftp://ftp.stacklet.com/archive/x86-64/Ubuntu/13.04/ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.img.tar.bz2

When this finishes, unpack it:

tar -xf ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.img.tar.bz2

This will unpack two files, the "disk image" file:

ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.img

and Xen configuration file:

ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.pygrub.cfg

The disk image file is a partition-less 10GB disk image (most of it is unused space).  You can look at it by mounting with loopback if you want.  Here is how you would do it (but don't do this right now):

mkdir /x
mount -o loop ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.img /x
ls /x
umount /x

If you look at the config file you'll see that it's telling Xen to look for the VM disk image file in

/var/stacklet

but that is not where we are storing our image files.  There are two ways to fix this:

a) edit the cfg file and change the path form

/var/stacklet

to

/mnt/cache/Xen/stacklet

, or

b) create a symlink in

/var

like this:

ln -s /mnt/cache/Xen/stacklet /var

Of course you will have to create the symlink again each time you boot unRaid (or maybe put in the "go" file).

Now that everything is in place, it's time to create and start the VM.  This is done using the

xl

command:

xl create ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.pygrub.cfg -c

After typing this you should see your telnet window switch to being the console of the new VM (that's what the

-c

option does).  You should see a "grub" boot menu displayed with a count down.  Just hit Enter to make it gittyup, upon which you'll see the Ubuntu linux booting.  When it's done you'll be left with a login prompt.

I followed this to a T ( have not cache drive on my test machine so i created a share on the only disk i have. this is the error i get

libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: /etc/xen/scripts/if-bridge online [2311] exited with error status 1

libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1021:device_hotplug_child_death_cb: script: Could ot find bridge device xenbr0

libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1115:domcreate_attach_vtpms: unable to add nic devces

libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: /etc/xen/scripts/if-bridge offline [2346] exited with error status 1

libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1021:device_hotplug_child_death_cb: script: Could ot find bridge device xenbr0

root@Tower:/mnt/user/Xen/stacklet#

Yes i enabled network bridge

I followed this to a T ( have not cache drive on my test machine so i created a share on the only disk i have. this is the error i get

libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: /etc/xen/scripts/if-bridge online [2311] exited with error status 1

libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1115:domcreate_attach_vtpms: unable to add nic devces

libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: /etc/xen/scripts/if-bridge offline [2346] exited with error status 1

root@Tower:/mnt/user/Xen/stacklet#

Yes i enabled network bridge

Did you leave it the default of br0, or did you actually name the bridge xenbr0 like it needs to be for his example?  I'm 99% sure the default that unraid 6 has when you enable it is just br0, which won't work with his example.

Hey Tom

Would it be possible to get another update on the status of B4? I know you were originally hoping to make it a Valentine's Day present, but can you tell us if we are likely to get it as an April Fool's day gift now?

I may be mistaken, but it looks like the last heads up on status was March 8th and I am sure we'd all like to know how things are progressing.

Thanks.

Ready now, probably post tomorrow.

Hey Tom

Thanks.

Awesome news.. Thanks for not making me eat my words ????

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hey Tom

Thanks.

Awesome news! Thanks for not making me eat my words ;)

Hey Tom

Thanks.

Awesome news! Thanks for not making me eat my words ;)

Hey Tom

Thanks.

Fantastic news Tom. Looking forward to it.

great news! although i just came across this:

After pre-clearing a disk, adding it to the array - (only one single one) then disabling SMB, it throws this error.. The only way for me to get rid of it, is to go into the disk itself, /mnt/disk1 and rm -rf * - the GUI stops throwing errors and the SMB shares are reset for that specific drive.. Any ideas?

Screen_Shot_2014-03-27_at_10_31_41.PNG.a1bf92168b0886dc128f05b09131e8c5.PNG

After pre-clearing a disk, adding it to the array - (only one single one) then disabling SMB, it throws this error.. The only way for me to get rid of it, is to go into the disk itself, /mnt/disk1 and rm -rf * - the GUI stops throwing errors and the SMB shares are reset for that specific drive.. Any ideas?

I cannot reproduce this.  The screen shot shows that a file system has been created on the disk.  Is this the disk you added?  Can you reproduce this?  Do you have the system log?  It doesn't make sense that removing files from the disk would get rid of the error.....

Have you recently installed or removed any addons or alternate webGUI? If so, you might try clearing your browser cache to see if this problem goes away.

Looks like there was something similar in the new beta4 thread. Did you have any top level folders on that disk with a single or double quote in the name? Did you know that all top level folders on a disk are automatically treated as a share in unRAID?

Looks like there was something similar in the new beta4 thread. Did you have any top level folders on that disk with a single or double quote in the name? Did you know that all top level folders on a disk are automatically treated as a share in unRAID?

Ah, yes - very similar.  It may not be quote marks, but some other unusual character which upsets the php code.  Try editing one of the files in question and going to the reported line number - this will be the directory which is causing the problem.

just to point out the obvious....

every beta 3 user should upgrade immediately to beta 4. If you find a bug you cant live with in beta 4 then report it in the beta 4 thread and revert to beta 3. DO NOT report beta 3 bugs as they are either fixed in beta 4 or are now a beta 4 bug.

If you dont want to be upgrading from beta 3 to beta 4 due to the risk you probably should not have been using the betas in the first place :)

Exciting times :)

just to point out the obvious....

every beta 3 user should upgrade immediately to beta 4. If you find a bug you cant live with in beta 4 then report it in the beta 4 thread and revert to beta 3. DO NOT report beta 3 bugs as they are either fixed in beta 4 or are now a beta 4 bug.

If you dont want to be upgrading from beta 3 to beta 4 due to the risk you probably should not have been using the betas in the first place :)

Exciting times :)

Very well put!  And that goes for any users still on beta 1 and beta 2 also.