[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you guys handling the 30-60 sec delay of network?

I have tried using fstab for nfs/samba and it fails since there is no network at boot time.

Using autofs does not work with services like sabnzbd because sab starts before the network is connected and therefore cannot mount the download folder :(

Manually starting all the services after network is connected is one scenario but rather boring.

Adding sleep 60 in the systemd service config could be a solution but I wanted to see how you guys were handling it and if the network delay is something that is being worked on?

Yeah it does that eventually, but.....

It gives you about 20 errors and then you lose all downloads that are in progress before you shut down.

Then i´m a bit scared how sickbeard, couchpotato madsonic etc would handle their media folders not being available. I know the do some scans when they start up.

My workaround if anyone is interested

The relevant line in: /usr/lib/systemd/system/sabnzbd.service

ExecStart=/usr/bin/bash -c "sleep 65 && /opt/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -l0"

I've installed NZBGet from your repo but it didn't come with a systemd service. As an Arch noob I have no idea how to set one up, and I haven't been able to find any online.

Any pointers on how to make my own?

Try the bottom of this page

http://lostsalad.co.za/2012/12/13/raspberry-pi-usenet-downloads-with-nzbget

I tried what was posted there but it didn't work. If I was more knowledgeable then maybe I'd be able to fix it myself.

I got a working solution for nzbget will post back in an hour

edit and here it is, if you already have a config file and just need the systemd service file then just follow from steps 5-8

install nzbget

--------------

1. install nzbget from official repo

pacman -S nzbget

2. download sample configuration file - not included in package

wget http://sourceforge.net/p/nzbget/code/HEAD/tree/tags/12.0/nzbget.conf?format=raw -O /etc/nzbget.conf

nano /etc/nzbget.conf

edit MainDIR to be absolute path to guarantee write location

MainDir=/home/nzbget/downloads

edit the following sections and specify your usenet service provider details:-

Server1.Host=my1.newsserver.com

Server1.Port=119

Server1.Username=user

Server1.Password=pass

edit DaemonUserName to specify account to use for daemon service

DaemonUserName=nzbget

edit WebDir to enable webui

WebDir=/usr/share/nzbget/webui

save file

3. copy config file - used for webui settings screen

cp /etc/nzbget.conf /usr/share/nzbget/webui/

4. create nzbget user account for daemon

useradd -m -g users -s /bin/bash nzbget

5. create nzbget.service file for systemd

nano /usr/lib/systemd/system/nzbget.service

copy and paste the following:-

-snip-

[unit]
Description=NZBGet
# This will make sure, that nzbget is loaded AFTER setting up the network
DaemonAfter=network.target

[service]
# Even if you set up the Daemon User in nzbget.conf, you will still
# need to set that name here. Otherwise, nzbget will be run as root
User=nzbget
ExecStart=/usr/bin/nzbget -D
ExecStop=/usr/bin/nzbget -Q
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
KillMode=process

[install]
# Needed to run nzbget at boot
WantedBy=multi-user.target

-snip-

save file

6. get applications to start on bootup using systemd

systemctl enable nzbget.service

7. start nzbget and test

systemctl start nzbget.service

8. default url for all of the above applications is as follows, please substitute <vm ip> for your statip/dhcp address for the vm

nzbget url http://<vm ip>:6789 - default username is nzbget and password is tegbzn6789

hi ironicbadger, just read through your page regards lvm, i saw you mentioned lvm in one of your video's so took a look and went through it myself, got a couple of questions regards what you laid out on your page wondered if you would be kind enough to take a look:-

1. i see your setting up lvm using fdisk, i used cgdisk and found it more straight forward, wondered what you thought were on using this instead?.

2. you didnt mention the issue with booting from lvm, in as much as syslinux doesn't support booting from lvm currently only grub2 does, might be worth a mention perhaps?. i went through this pain and it took me a few hours to eventually come to the conclusion that either i use grub2 or i create a seperate non lvm partition for boot, i went with the second option as syslinux is just K.I.S.S.

3. what exactly does this command do, as i didnt see any mention of it on the arch wiki regards lvm:-

use_lvmetad = 0  <---- change this from 1 to 0

Great info but its not really relevant to this VM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LVM is not enabled / installed in unRAID and this introduces a whole new level of "complicity" to unRAID that may / may not work. Since we still have a lot of outstanding issues with unRAID 6.0... I do not think it's a good idea to introduce this at this time.

Tom has mentioned adding a new filesystem for the cache drives which would gives you most of the features / functionality of LVM.

is it posible to add ...

• AirPrint Server
  • Google CloudPrint

I solved my sabnzbd to DL to a disk that I  pass trough from my asmedia port to this VM  :D

There are no SAMBA user defined, but that was easy to created with this command

pdbedit -a -u root

And give the same password i have for root

You can also Install webmin, to configure your VM

Is there a easy way to give this VM a static IP address ?

//Peter

is it posible to add ...

• AirPrint Server
  • Google CloudPrint

I solved my sabnzbd to DL to a disk that I  pass trough from my asmedia port to this VM  :D

There are no SAMBA user defined, but that was easy to created with this command

pdbedit -a -u root

And give the same password i have for root

You can also Install webmin, to configure your VM

Is there a easy way to give this VM a static IP address ?

//Peter

I give my devices a static IP based upon their mac address in my router. Works 100% of the time.

As for the packages, yes no problem. I'm reinstalling a few things tonight and will get around to the packages over the weekend no doubt.

When running some apps like sickbeard, sabnzbd etc inside the ArchVM, how does one go about powering down? Will the powerdown script, started from unraid, triggered by user or a UPS, stop all apps, then the vm's, and unraid?

What about a UPS? Where do i install apcupsd? Do i need a 64 bits plugin version of apcupsd?

Or do i have to install a apcupsd in every VM as well to make the vm 'aware' so it will powerdown itself? Will that not collide with unraid/xen powering down?

have we solved the plex storage issue? IE my plex database is over 40 gigs and will not fit into the image AND i cannot tell plex to use a cifs share for the database.

You actually can tell plex to use wherever you want. It was mentioned earlier in this thread to use symbolic links to point the plex database to a different location.

I'm working on a way to let you enlarge the .IMG as you see fit. Looks fairly easy but I haven't had chance to test it yet.

Been trying to get a separate /home or /opt dir but this isn't going to work.

The best option is going to be to start a list of apps and where their configs are, maybe we could collectively write a backup script for the .INI files?

Made some decent progress on reducing the root filesystem down to less than 600mb and ram footprint down to 65mb at boot.

Network delay still exists, working on delaying all apps in my repo until net is up.

So in short, many irons in the fire.

When running some apps like sickbeard, sabnzbd etc inside the ArchVM, how does one go about powering down? Will the powerdown script, started from unraid, triggered by user or a UPS, stop all apps, then the vm's, and unraid?

What about a UPS? Where do i install apcupsd? Do i need a 64 bits plugin version of apcupsd?

Or do i have to install a apcupsd in every VM as well to make the vm 'aware' so it will powerdown itself? Will that not collide with unraid/xen powering down?

Ok... well i've started the archVM with sabnzbd running, and entered powerdown on the unraid prompt. Nothing happens. Prompt still there.

Only when i run 'xl shutdown archVM, the vm is stopped, and immediatly after that unraid powers down continuing the powerdown script...?

Surely this isn't how things should work right?

Command is poweroff in arch

ok, so from what i understand, with the vm's in place, automatic shutdown of the complete machine/hardware, from e.g. a UPS, using powerdown command is no longer possible?

The unraid powerdown command does not work anymore with running vm's in place, and you have to shutdown the vm's manually, either by poweroff or xl shutdown [vm] ?

What i'm looking for is an extended powerdown function that loops through the running vm's and closes them, before shutting down unraid.

Is something like that possible?

have we solved the plex storage issue? IE my plex database is over 40 gigs and will not fit into the image AND i cannot tell plex to use a cifs share for the database.

You actually can tell plex to use wherever you want. It was mentioned earlier in this thread to use symbolic links to point the plex database to a different location.

Nano /etc/conf.d/plexmediaserver

PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="\\192.168.2.4\cache\.custom\Plex_cp\home\Application Support"

or

PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="//192.168.2.4/cache/.custom/Plex_cp/home/Application Support"

does not work.

PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="/mnt/cache/.custom/Plex_cp/home/Application Support"

(mapped)

ln -sf /opt/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/ /mnt/cache/.custom/Plex_cp/home/Application\ Support/

symlinks do not work on cifs.

Please enlighten me as i have tried and this does not work.