Systemctl disable dhcpcd

doesn't work

must be:

dhcpcd disable

I also changed the cfg to:

vif = [ 'ip = "192.168.1.200/24", mac=00:16:3e:a1:b2:c3, bridge=xenbr0' ]

or to:

vif = ['mac=8a:16:3e:a1:b2:c3,bridge=xenbr0']

ip = '192.168.1.200/24' (with and without 24)

netmask = '255.255.255.0'

gateway = '192.168.1.1'

with enabled dhcp I can see:

link/ether 00:16:3e:a1:b2:c3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

inet 192.168.1.116/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global eth0

so it is taking the MAC.

If I check the Adressleases in Win 2003 DHCP it looks like:

3ea1b2c3000100011a80fc4000163eaabbe3

Really frustrating..

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to the networking issues:

First of all, there is a 30-60 second delay on VM start which I can't seem to stop no matter what I try on my test system so we're just going to have to live with it. This isn't Arch specific, it must be to do with the bridge-utils implementation on Slackware (unRAID).

The steps I posted previously are correct, the command is 'systemctl disable dhcpcd'. Do not try and set the IP address in .cfg file, you are wasting your time!

My preferred option is to set the mac address in the .cfg file, and then use my router to reserve an IP via dhcp - I found this much more reliable but for those of you that don't have routers which support this then follow these steps to make a fixed IP work.

Btw, all the info for Arch is on the wiki. I STRONGLY suggest before posting here with any Arch related issues that you go there. Trust me, the Arch Wiki is the best resource you'll ever find of it's type. It knows far more than any of us here, including me, do and usually slightly over explains things. Just follow the steps, even if they don't make sense the first time, and after the 2nd or 3rd try you'll actually understand what you're doing. I'm just copying what the wiki says into this post below, so go check it out!

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netctl#Basic_method

and

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Configuration#Static_IP_address

Set a static IP address in Arch

1. Find out your LAN information such as your Gateway and DNS settings.

2. Copy the template into the right directory the load up nano to edit it

cd /etc/netctl
cp examples/ethernet-static ethernet
nano ethernet

3. You will have a file with many lines, you only need to edit Address, Gateway and DNS. For example:

Address=('192.168.1.23/24')    <--- only one IP address here
Gateway='192.168.1.1'             <--- usually your router, ditto for DNS
DNS=('192.168.1.1')

3. Press Ctrl + X to exit and save the file with nano.

4. Enable the profile you've just created

netctl enable ethernet   <--- enables connection autostart at boot
netctl start ethernet <--- or reboot here, will have the same effect

NFS Issues

unRAID v6 beta3 has some NFS issues that Tom has acknowledged and is actively fixing for beta4. Until such time, we should assume that NFS is broken. Please wait for the next beta before posting about NFS related issues.

That said, if you're having trouble with the autofs method that I've setup (not sure why as it works here with all the apps mentioned flawlessly, will need to investigate that one) then you can try the following.

1. edit /etc/fstab

nano /etc/fstab

add a line which looks like these. Choose line 1 for NFS, line 2 for samba.

10.0.0.2:/mnt/user/Media        /mnt/unraid     nfs rw,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0
#//10.0.0.2/Media       /mnt/unraid     cifs    rw,guest,uid=owncloud,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noperm 0 0

Ctrl + X to exit and save fstab.

2. Reboot.

3. Expect a delay on boot whilst fstab causes the system to wait until the network is available to mount those shares. You may need to create /mnt/unraid in your image ( mkdir /mnt/unraid ) or edit that part of the fstab examples given above.

-----------

Donations

I hope that you lot are finding these VMs and custom repository useful, my bandwidth stats certainly suggest you are! I've used 157GB in the few days it's been uploaded on just my personal hosting not including Google Drive or Dropbox! That's roughly 300+ just from my own hosting which is really nice.  8)

I just wanted to give those of you that have asked the opportunity to make a donation if you wish too. Thanks!

btn_donate_SM.gif

Hi ironicbadger,

and thank you for the detailed explanation. I found the reason for the error with the ethernet settings.

I just copy pasted the code from your first explanation, not taking care about the writing once Ethernet then ethernet.

So I had two different ethernet settings. Now I have got a static IP as I wanted, and I'm able to ping my server.

But now I cant access the "Tower" by its name, only by its IP. e.g

cd /net/Tower/mnt/user/movies stopped working

but

cd /net/192.168.1.190/mnt/user/movies works

showmount Tower -e leads to clnt_create: RPC: Unknown host.

How to list the hosts? Maybe the name changed?

<edit>

OK sorry for bothering... I edited the host List to reflect the "Tower" for the IP and it works.

Here's what I used in /etc/fstab for automounting samaba shares as read only using Unraid's guest account.

//192.168.1.6/Movies /mnt/Movies cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0

Note - shares are mounted on first access so if you try listing the mounted shares, you will likely get an error for a few seconds until it responds. I've tried multiple ways to get the shares to auto mount without needing to first access but wasn't successful.

Quick question about starting the VM. I want to run plex/airvideo/handbrake I'm running a e3 1230 v2. What would be the suggestions on cores to assign. As I understand their are 4 physical cores and 8 threads. Should I set up as 2 cores which will give 4 threads?

Quick question about starting the VM. I want to run plex/airvideo/handbrake I'm running a e3 1230 v2. What would be the suggestions on cores to assign. As I understand their are 4 physical cores and 8 threads. Should I set up as 2 cores which will give 4 threads?

I think you're overthinking it. Based on my understanding, the OS sees 8 CPU's (hyperthreaded) regardless as to the number of cores. I do not think you want to assign a physical core as it would make the resources unavailable for other VM's.

I think you're overthinking it. Based on my understanding, the OS sees 8 CPU's (hyperthreaded) regardless as to the number of cores. I do not think you want to assign a physical core as it would make the resources unavailable for other VM's.

Thanks for the quicK reply.

As said before your OS simply sees 8 cores, it doesn't care the 4 are HT only. Just add 8 cores to your VM and enjoy it! You can exceed the number of cores physically available in VMs and it will time slice for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi ironicbadger,

and thank you for the detailed explanation. I found the reason for the error with the ethernet settings.

I just copy pasted the code from your first explanation, not taking care about the writing once Ethernet then ethernet.

So I had two different ethernet settings. Now I have got a static IP as I wanted, and I'm able to ping my server.

But now I cant access the "Tower" by its name, only by its IP. e.g

cd /net/Tower/mnt/user/movies stopped working

but

cd /net/192.168.1.190/mnt/user/movies works

showmount Tower -e leads to clnt_create: RPC: Unknown host.

How to list the hosts? Maybe the name changed?

<edit>

OK sorry for bothering... I edited the host List to reflect the "Tower" for the IP and it works.

Pleased you got it working.

Please post your instructions so that others who have the same issues can just follow your lead! :)

Is flexget part of the core Arch release ?

How to check AUR / Arch Linux packages

Arch Linux Main Repos - https://www.archlinux.org/packages/

AUR - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/

If a package is in the main repo's you can just install it via pacman as usual. Only if the package is in AUR and not already in my repo do you need to request it. As stated in the repo thread, I will only add packages from AUR - especially if I don't use them myself.

hi ironicbadger, thought i would just mention a couple of tools i thought would be nice to include in your build, i am going to included these in my kvm build.

1. dos2unix - handy for newbies who might be using notepad etc to create config files and then getting issues due to CR's.

2. pastebinit - handy for yourself to help with any issues, this will post the contents of a file or command straight to pastebin and return the url directly in the command line, the user could then just post the url on here for further diagnosis.

both tools are in official repo so dead easy to include and VERY small.

As said before your OS simply sees 8 cores, it doesn't care the 4 are HT only. Just add 8 cores to your VM and enjoy it! You can exceed the number of cores physically available in VMs and it will time slice for you.

This sort of thing becomes useful when you have some CPU intensive activity. For instance say you have a VM that sits there encoding video all day long, you might choose to limit the no of vcpus it has access to and pin them to  specific physical cores so they don't context switch all over the place thus hitting performance elsewhere. An example of doing that can be found on the xen wiki - http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Tuning_Xen_for_Performance#Vcpu_Pinning

If you are not CPU bound then just assume the scheduler is better than you at knowing how to allocate CPU time (it will be).

Ironic,  A few idea on other software to put in your repo:

grive - Google drive sync

Homepage: http://www.lbreda.com/grive/start

AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/grive/

GPodder3 - Podcast client  (I love madsonic but subsonic has a limited Podcatcher. Gpodder has a lot more functionality and flexibility)

Homepage: http://gpodder.org/

AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gpodder3/

A box.net sync client would be another great idea (hard to pass up 50GB online for free). I have no idea if this might work: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/boxfs2-static-git/  (seems recently updated)

keep up the terrific work