[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

Index of \\tower\dvds\

Name Size Date Modified

[parent directory]

BLURAY/ 2/12/14 3:42:17 AM

Original/ 2/11/14 9:23:38 AM

TV/ 7/6/11 11:42:26 AM

Once you get the mount working, here's a modification to the paths you should enter into Plex - run through the process twice, once for each. I believe if you type "Movies" twice, it combines the contents into the same section - or you can create two sections, one for BluRay and one for DVD (assuming that's for original)

/mnt/DVDs/BLURAY

/mnt/DVDs/Original

Then add a new section clicking on the TV icon and enter

/mnt/DVDs/TV

Okay but nothing is showing up in plex? Restart the VM?

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've driven through these very informative pages quite a bit, but could not find a direct answer to these questions about the vm config file.

Is  #vcpus supposed to equal the number of cores assigned to the VM? If someone has an 8-core CPU and the ArchVM is the only VM (running several tools, including Plex Media Server), what should be assigned to #vcpus? Should it be all 8? Or 7 leaving 1 for dom0? Also, why is the line commented out anyway?

Similar questions as to memory: On the "memory" line in the default config, does the "2048" mean that 2 gigs are assigned to the ArchVM? If someone has 16 GB or RAM, would they be wasting the remaining 14?

Thanks.

Ideally, you wouldn't assign more cores out to VM's than you had available but you can if you wish. If you have 8 CPU's recognized by the OS (for example, quad core with hyper threading), you can still assign 8 cores to four different VM's but if those VM's all need 8 CPUs at the same time, performance will suffer while XEN tries to accommodate their needs.

It is my opinion that if you over commit your CPU's to VMs, it can in theory provide additional processing power when needed when other VM's are idle. For example, you shared out your Plex library to several friends and they all decided to watch different movies at the same time - if you assigned 8 VCPU's to the Plex VM, it can better handle the additional demand while other VM's are (hopefully) idle.

So, if your CPU has 8 cores (an AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core - 3.1 GHz), and the only VM you are running is the ArchVM appliance, fully loaded with SABnzbd, Plex Media Server, Handbrake, etc, you would assign 8 to vcpus, correct? If so, wouldn't activity on UNRAID itself cause a potential bottleneck?

It is my opinion that if you over commit your CPU's to VMs, it can in theory provide additional processing power when needed when other VM's are idle. For example, you shared out your Plex library to several friends and they all decided to watch different movies at the same time - if you assigned 8 VCPU's to the Plex VM, it can better handle the additional demand while other VM's are (hopefully) idle.

So, if your CPU has 8 cores (an AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core - 3.1 GHz), and the only VM you are running is the ArchVM appliance, fully loaded with SABnzbd, Plex Media Server, Handbrake, etc, you would assign 8 to vcpus, correct? If so, wouldn't activity on UNRAID itself cause a potential bottleneck?

Yes, but that's being resolved in beta4 in which dom0 (unraid) gets a dedicated CPU.

morning ironicbadger, quick post, i see your going to be putting some instructions for sabnzbd on your OP, thought i would share my simple one liner i came up with to get you out of the initial problem that sab only listens on localhost, just saves having to use nano and tawl the ini file for the right line, taken from my build notes:-

10. sabnzbd requires the host entry in the config.ini file changing to bind to ip 0.0.0.0 (binds to localhost only by default)

sed -i 's/host = localhost/host = 0.0.0.0/g' /opt/sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini

OpenVPN!

OK, I can confirm that OpenVPN works out-of-the-box with this Arch os image.  (ok, not out-of-the-box,but without anything special other than pacman and configuration…)

I don't think there's a need to add it to the unraid repository, since the one in the Arch repositories works just fine.

all I had to do was:

pacman -S openvpn

and it installed the package and dropped the sample configuration files.

I'm using it as a client to connect to "Private Internet Access" (that's the company that provides my anon-internet access service) and I just followed their guide for linux openvpn setup and it worked great!

next step is to try to setup an inbound private vpn so I can get access to my systems from outside via vpn…it appears everything is already installed to make that happen as well, but it just needs configuration.  I'm happy to document that process once I get it going if anyone is interested.

David

Well this theory sucks. Just shoveld my house out from this blizzard and this VM is kicking my a**. I added the next directory underneath and it's not mounting. I tested this whole procedure this morning by deleting the previous VM and creating a new one. Is their a problem with samba loading it's shares. I have NSF enabled and followed your YouTube video to the T lol.

DVDs  films  Jordan  tmp  Videos
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 mnt]#

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# cat /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/xvda1
UUID=93ec2c22-36c1-487c-a888-adde602a16fe       /               ext4           rw,relatime,data=ordered 0 1
//192.168.1.6/DVDs/BLURAY /mnt/DVDs cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
//192.168.1.6/Videos /mnt/Videos cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
//192.168.1.6/Jordan /mnt/Jordan cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0

Does /mnt/Videos and /mnt/Jordan exist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Affirm I used mkdir and it listed under mnt. The only mount that exists is DVDs...

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# cd /mnt
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 mnt]# ls
DVDs  films  Jordan  tmp  Videos
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 mnt]# cd Videos
-bash: cd: Videos: No such device
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 mnt]# cd Jordan
-bash: cd: Jordan: No such device
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 mnt]# cd DVDs
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 DVDs]# ls
21.Jump.Street.2012.BluRay.1080p.DTS.x264-CHD.mkv
2 Guns.mkv
300.mkv
30.Minutes.or.Less.2011.mkv

I'm not sure what's wrong tbh, it must be something small.

I recommend that you take a look at the Arch wiki on how to add samba shares to your fstab here.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/samba#Add_Share_to_.2Fetc.2Ffstab

What happens when you run mount -a ?

What happens when you try to manually mount the samba shares using the information I posted earlier in this thread here? http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31687.msg288587#msg288587

What are the permissions on those samba shares on the unraid side?

Post the output of...

ls -la /mnt
smbtree -U guest

Hopefully smbtree looks like this.

[root@ArchVM ~]# smbtree -U guest
Enter guest's password: 
WORKGROUP
\\UNRAID         		Media server
	\\UNRAID\IPC$           	IPC Service (Media server)
	\\UNRAID\flash          	Flash share
	\\UNRAID\Media          	The general all purpose share.

Post the output of...

ls -la /mnt

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# ls -la /mnt
total 16
drwxr-xr-x  7 root root 4096 Feb 13 20:09 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Feb  4 14:58 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    0 Feb 13 19:54 DVDs
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Feb 13 17:22 films
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    0 Feb 13 20:57 Jordan
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Feb  4 14:54 tmp
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    0 Feb 13 20:57 Videos

run mount -a

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# mount -a
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]#

samba tree

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# smbtree -U guest
Enter guest's password:
WORKGROUP
        \\TOWER                         Media server
                \\TOWER\flash           Flash share
                \\TOWER\cache           Disk share
                \\TOWER\Apps
                \\TOWER\Backup
                \\TOWER\DVDs
                \\TOWER\Documents
                \\TOWER\Jordan
                \\TOWER\Laila
                \\TOWER\Music           Music
                \\TOWER\Photos
                \\TOWER\Software
                \\TOWER\Videos
                \\TOWER\VirtualBox
                \\TOWER\IPC$            IPC Service (Media server)
        \\OFFICE-PC
        \\HTPC-PC

I just checked the security DVDs is public while the other shares are private and require a password. I think that may be the snag? Thank you sir I got it. Changed the security to public and all is fine. I read over the chmod 600 credential file and that sounds like jebberish.