[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

Since I was having such good success with CIFS and my TV mount I tried adding my Movies to Plex. It managed to pick up all 2266 on the first try - even without me refreshing the mount point or spinning up all my drives. I know that I would have only gotten a small fraction with the NFS mount point.

CIFS definitely seems to be a more stable solution, and I am back to being confident in my VM solution being viable. I still think it's weird that I need to use CIFS to get 2 Linux boxes to talk correctly, but at least it seems to be working flawlessly.

I could have sworn I said a few pages ago that we should consider NFS broken in beta3 and that there was nothing I could do about it! Hint: I definitely said that  ;)

This is some good 'testing' you're all undertaking with NFS vs Samba (CIFS). I'm sure Tom will be looking at these issues even if not posting, who knows. Keep plucking away chaps!

Anyway, I'm glad CIFS is working out for y'all! :)

I understood there were some issues, but between your suggestions on fixing the RW shares, fstab and cron job  (all of which you still list on the initial post of this thread) it sounded like NFS was workable - just not easy.

If NFS is completely pooched (which it sounds like) you may want to update the original post for your VM with these details and direct people to just use CIFS via fstab.

Keep in mind you can say lots of things, but most people are going to use your original post with detailed instructions as a guideline - not offhanded comments 2/3rds of the way through a 24 page topic.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind you can say lots of things, but most people are going to use your original post with detailed instructions as a guideline - not offhanded comments 2/3rds of the way through a 24 page topic.

Proposterous twaddle!  8)

You have a point. I'll amend things tomorrow. Was kinda hoping beta4 would have landed already so i would have too!

Proposterous twaddle!  8)

You have a point. I'll amend things tomorrow. Was kinda hoping beta4 would have landed already so i would have too!

I was hoping we'd get a beta4 update as well, but at this point I wonder if Tom would be better to wait for Xen 4.4 to RTM (which I think SchoolBusDriver said should be end of the month). At least then everything from a Xen perspective should be static from that point on. Right now if we are tweaking/putzing around with 4.3.1 a lot could change in the next week which would make this all for nothing (well... not nothing as it's learning, but we may be fighting issues that are already addressed in the new Xen).

Just a last note on this for now.

SAB/SB finally had something to move, and it failed:

This download is marked a priority download so I'm going to replace an existing file if I find one

Found release name Helix.S01E08.720p.HDTV.x264-REMARKABLE

Destination folder for this episode: /mnt/TV/Helix/Season 1

Moving file from /mnt/data/complete/Helix/Season 1/Helix S01E08 - 720p HDTV x264-REMARKABLE.mkv to /mnt/TV/Helix/Season 1/Helix - S01E08 - Bloodline.mkv

Unable to move file /mnt/data/complete/Helix/Season 1/Helix S01E08 - 720p HDTV x264-REMARKABLE.mkv to /mnt/TV/Helix/Season 1/Helix - S01E08 - Bloodline.mkv: 13

Processing failed for /mnt/data/complete/Helix/Season 1/Helix S01E08 - 720p HDTV x264-REMARKABLE.mkv: Unable to move the files to their new home

Plex is still processing my pictures share (which has been running for the last 3 hours - it's a big library), however both TV shows that were processed tonight failed to move to the proper home on UnRAID. I am not sure why.

So, it appears CIFS may not be 100%, and I will monitor if SAB/SB has anymore success without Plex running.

Okay, since I knew this would annoy me once I went to bed I did a quick look at permissions.

If I am in UnRAID and look at my folders (i.e. Helix tv show) it shows 666 nobody:users however if I look at the folder from archvm it's rwxr-xr-x with root:root as owner.

I tried updating my mount point to include file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

Can someone advise the proper switches for CIFS mounts as I guess I got it wrong (I can touch a new file, but not drop files into the necessary folders).

Okay, since I knew this would annoy me once I went to bed I did a quick look at permissions.

If I am in UnRAID and look at my folders (i.e. Helix tv show) it shows 666 nobody:users however if I look at the folder from archvm it's rwxr-xr-x with root:root as owner.

I tried updating my mount point to include file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

Can someone advise the proper switches for CIFS mounts as I guess I got it wrong (I can touch a new file, but not drop files into the necessary folders).

You have to unmount the directories first, and then mount them again with mount -a.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

You have to unmount the directories first, and then mount them again with mount -a.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks. That fixed my issue. Everything is mounted with 777 and SAB, SB & Plex are all very happy (as am I finally).

I'm not sure if enough kudos has been heft upon IconicBadger et. al. so here's some more:  Excellent info, guides, youtube videos (OMG, WTF, etc.), and support in this and other threads.  I went from a standing start with 5.0 avec PMS/SB/CP/Sab to 6.0b3 with PMS and an Arch VM running SB/CP/Sab in a few fun and informative hours with narry a 'hard' issue.  Not completely challenge free - but all issues definitely in the "fun" v.s. "frustrating" category.  Also have a Win7 VM just for kicks (not sure exactly what it might be good for as yet - but it's nice to have a windows OS around to look at - even if just for historical "remember when" moments).

Unlike many, I've had no issues nfs - perhaps my meager 600 file library is not as taxing as others.  Migrating SB/CP databases (v.s. fresh install/config) has thrown up the most significant issues - setting up 6b3 and Arch was completely trouble free.  There is certainly some fine tuning to do on this front - and to be honest, I'm not sure that Arch is the right distro for those not very linux savvy - but the move to 6b3+archVM has been far less painfull than the struggle to get 'mandatory' apps running natively in unraid back in the 4.x days.

So... hats off.  Point me to the donate button.

I'm not sure if enough kudos has been heft upon IconicBadger et. al. so here's some more:  Excellent info, guides, youtube videos (OMG, WTF, etc.), and support in this and other threads. 

So... hats off.  Point me to the donate button.

You're very kind good sir. Thank you. Nice to be appreciated and hear a success story. :)

I spent so many countless hours bashing my head against a wall whilst learning this stuff over the last 6 months. It feels good being able help others go from 0 to working in an afternoon.

What is it you found troublesome with arch that makes you think its not totally suitable for newbies? Just curious as I was newbie 6 months ago and its the first distro that ever actually made sense to me!

As for the other thing... Well, its in my sig or OP. Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

@Ironicbadger, one of my apps is having an issue with openJDK. Would you mind, transferring Oracles JDK7 into your repository?  I saw that in the AUR repository https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jdk/

...as openHAB is java based I think that issue is around openJDK. The advise in the openHAB forum was to remove openJDK and to install Oracles JDK7 instead

Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel: BUG: Bad page map in process java  pte:0
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel: addr:00007fe049ce4000 vm_flags:08000070 
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel: CPU: 0 PID: 744 Comm: java Not tainted 3
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  ffff88007b49e678 ffff88007679dad8 fffff
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  ffff88007679db20 ffffffff8115bf84 00000
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  ffff880076536720 0000000000000320 00007
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel: Call Trace:
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff814ed0d3>] dump_stack+0x54/0x
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff8115bf84>] print_bad_pte+0x1b
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff8115d349>] vm_normal_page+0x6
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff8115d84f>] unmap_single_vma+0
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff8115ed99>] unmap_vmas+0x49/0x
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff8116812c>] exit_mmap+0x9c/0x1
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff814f3beb>] ? _raw_spin_lock_i
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff8105fc19>] mmput+0x59/0x110
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff81064f4f>] do_exit+0x27f/0xab
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff810657ff>] do_group_exit+0x3f
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff810747ad>] get_signal_to_deli
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff810144d8>] do_signal+0x48/0x9
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff81014e38>] do_notify_resume+0
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel:  [<ffffffff814fbeaa>] int_signal+0x12/0x
Feb 18 09:17:41 ArchApplianceVM kernel: Disabling lock debugging due to kernel t
Feb 18 09:17:42 ArchApplianceVM openhab[686]: Stopped openHAB Home Automation Bu
Feb 18 09:17:42 ArchApplianceVM systemd[1]: Stopped openHAB Home Automation Bus.

I have followed your instructions on the first post and after unzipping ArchVM.zip and editing the arch.cfg, i enter the run command and receive the below output...

pyGRUB  version 0.6

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

? Arch GNU/Linux, with Linux core repo kernel' --class arch --class gnu-li

nux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-core repo kernel

-true-93ec2c22-36c1-487c-a888-adde602a16fe                              ?

?                                                                        ?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Use the ^ and ? keys to select which entry is highlighted.

Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the

commands before booting, 'a' to modify the kernel arguments

before booting, or 'c' for a command line.

libxl: notice: libxl_numa.c:491:libxl__get_numa_candidate: NUMA placement failed, performance might be affected

xc: error: panic: xc_dom_boot.c:160: xc_dom_boot_mem_init: can't allocate low memory for domain: Out of memory

libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:392:libxl__build_pv: xc_dom_boot_mem_init failed: Device or resource busy

libxl: error: libxl_create.c:900:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/cache_only#

Any chance on for a bit of guidance on how to correct this error? I have also attached my arch.cfg file for your reference.

thanks!

arch.cfg

Hello ironicbadger, first off amazing work you do here.

First time poster here. At the moment I'm trying to decide on which NAS OS to go with and Unraid is very appealing, especially the separation of the main OS with all the backups and media files and a VM OS which can run on top of it to run applications on.

I followed your guide on youtube/this page but I ran into a bootloader issue. I tried with both the Unraid/Xen and Unraid/Xen in safe mode and received the exact same result for both. It's a test setup, with no cache drive (using disk1), but if this works well then I'll likely get the full version of Unraid.

Below is the error message I get:

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/vm/arch/ArchVM# xl create arch.cfg

Parsing config from arch.cfg

libxl: error: libxl_bootloader.c:628:bootloader_finished: bootloader failed - consult logfile /var/log/xen/bootloader.1.log

libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: bootloader [2022] exited with error status 1

libxl: error: libxl_create.c:900:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build domain: -3

And the log file it refers to:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/pygrub", line 877, in <module>

raise RuntimeError, "Unable to find partition containing kernel"

RuntimeError: Unable to find partition containing kernel

And here is the file i think it's referring to:

default /syslinux/menu.c32

menu title Lime Technology

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

kernel /bzimage

append initrd=/bzroot

label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)

kernel /bzimage

append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode

label Memtest86+

kernel /memtest

label Xen/unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /syslinux/mboot.c32

append /xen dom0_mem=2097152 --- /bzimage --- /bzroot

label Xen/unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)

kernel /syslinux/mboot.c32

append /xen dom0_mem=2097152 --- /bzimage --- /bzroot unraidsafemode

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A little late to the party, but I finally had some time to do this. Great job I-B!

Moved all my "media" plugins to this VM and seems to be working out.

I was surprised when my Squeezebox clock radio alarm went off at 1AM this morning even though it clearly said it was 1AM and the alarm was set for 6AM. Discovered I hadn't set the timezone on the VM, which is where I was running Logitech Media Server. I would have thought the radio would have used its local time and pulled the music from LMS but for some reason it seemed to be using ironicbadger's local time instead. This would also explain why my SAB and Transmission schedules didn't seem to be working. Have fixed the VM timezone so it should all be good now.

I managed to get BOINC running in this VM with remote management from BOINC Manager on my Windows PC. If anyone is interested I will try to retrace my steps but it turned out to be pretty easy. Just a couple changes to some config files to allow my Windows box to connect.

Just checking if you ever were able to add Crashplan?

Thanks for your awesome work!

I'll add crashplan to the repo tomorrow. Just off to bed now!

Couple more videos inbound tomorrow (encoding now) and they'll be real nice icing on the cake I hope.

Why do you want a VB IMG? I'm sure that it's possible to convert this raw IMG, I've just never looked.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've been using IB's Arch image for a little while now and I've noticed when the vm is booting an odd pygrub display (shown below):

It stems from the configuration of the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file which was generated at the time the image was built and the V3 image has this config.

In the "Talk:Xen" page at the ArchWiki, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Xen there's a suggestion to simplify the file. I've used that as a basis and am posting this version tailored to the UUID of the current ArchVM-V3 image:

menuentry 'Arch Linux' --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    insmod gzio
    insmod ext2
    insmod part_msdos
    set root='(hd0)'
    linux   /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=93ec2c22-36c1-487c-a888-adde602a16fe rw console=hvc0
    initrd  /boot/initramfs-linux.img
}

Use it with caution! This is how an existing VM boots and if this file gets screwed up it will take a bit of work to fix!

You can verify the UUID of the VM image using the "blkid" from the VM terminal.

It's not a bad idea to make a backup copy of grub.cfg before you start editing.  Since there's really no problem with the existing configuration, you might want to set this up when a VM is freshly created.

Thanks!!

arch-vm-initial-boot.png.7668ed7a7f39e93e2d2a4251f8e33003.png

@ironicbadger thanks for your help with this, for some reason, allocating 2GB of ram wasn't enough for archVM and my build only had 4GB, so i have since installed another 4GB (8GB total) and allocated 4GB to archVM and all is working perfectly!

Thanks for all your work on this, it has certainly made life a lot easier for me! :)

A couple of questions for you though....

(1) - In your video you mentioned you would let us know how to start the VM on boot of unraid, just wondering if you had any luck with this?

(2) - I am currently transferring all my data over the the unraid server and i have mounted my NTFS drives using unmenu, however i cant figure out how to mount an EXT4 drive that i have. Anyway to do this in unraid or is it possible to mount it in archVM?

thanks!

Bump

Going to be setting up Unraid 6 beta soon along with this VM, just wanted to check its easy enough to pass through a USB device to the VM?

I'd wait for Beta 4 if you want to pass through USB devices. Added support for USB devices is being added.

Thanks, Atleast that gives me time to source a Cache drive and fit it into my N54L :)

I've been using this VM for a couple weeks and its been working fine. Not sure if I have a permissions issue, but some files are not viewable through samba.

I manually added a download to sab, which moves completed downloads to /mnt/data/downloads/complete. Viewing the location through Windows I see 3 folders: tv, tv shows, movies-couch. When listing the contents through arch I see:   

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 complete]# ls -l
total 12
drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Mar  7 01:33 Brantley Gilbert-Halfway To Heaven-(Deluxe Edition)-2011-2NZ
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar  4 16:56 movies-couch
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar  7 07:20 tvshows

I've restarted Samba with no change. My samba mounts are mounted with "rw,guest,uid=root,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noperm 0 0" options.

Any help? I have also tried to move the files around in arch to see if they would show up in other samba shares on windows and that didnt work either. 

Hello fellow unraiders,

Tried to install ArchVM and when I run the xl create arch.img I get this error.

libxl_utils.c.319:libxl_read_file_contents: failed to read config file: arch.img: File too large

It is installed on my cache drive, and I ran the VM from toms post in the 6.0 beta release, so I know I can run virtual machines. Unsure what the issue is, I followed the guide to the "t".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick