[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

Can you add musicip to your repo ?  It's in the AUR, I use it with LMS and would be greatly appreciated.

Would you kindly do a MythTV even thou its going to require x11 forwarding to setup?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Sure thing. As per usual, just tell me which packages from AUR you need compiling...

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&C=0&SeB=nd&K=mythtv&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go

I search musicIP i find only one orphaned package. Come on, give me a hint! You even quoted a post of mine saying I required the packages. By that I meant a link to it, so there is no ambiguity!

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IB any luck with adding the newest plex release to the Unraid repo in Arch?

Let me do that now...

Edit: Done! If you want to upgrade plex then just issue pacman -Syu

Packages updated

- plexmediaserver-0.9.9.7.429-0-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

- plexmediaserver-plexpass-0.9.9.7.429-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

- subsonic-4.9-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Thank you

I'm not sure what's going on with my fstab...i'm getting the following:

[root@ArchVM movies]# mount -a
mount error(127): Key has expired
Refer to the mount.cifs( manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
mount error(127): Key has expired
Refer to the mount.cifs( manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

contents of fstab

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/xvda1
UUID=93ec2c22-36c1-487c-a888-adde602a16fe       /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 1
//192.168.11.5/Movies          /mnt/unraid/movies      cifs    rw,guest,username=nobody,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noperm 0 0
//192.168.11.5/Apps             /mnt/unraid/apps        cifs    rw,guest,username=nobody,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,noperm 0 0

Any thoughts?

**edited post, previously asking about running out of space on my VM, but realized that my fstab link to unraid wasn't working so all my incomplete sab downloads were sitting in the vm and not actually saving to unraid.

So what's the best benefit of running this VM verses just a straight Plex Plugin?

Is there any performance or benefit?  Since I mainly just run plex, i'm just wondering if there's much benefit to running a VM?

Huge benefits, in that you are encapsulating 'risk' within a safe environment keeping unRAID doing what it does best.

Performance hits are negligible, less than 5%. The dependencies required for a straight unraid plugin not just plex, but all the other stuff too are pretty ugly and still being tweaked. I know, because I've done it, that you download this VM and have plex up with 5 minutes. No need to reboot the host, or run installplgs.

I feel much happier having my storage separated from my apps. grumpybutfun wrote huge posts on this stuff, just have a browse around the forum and you will find posts advocating virtualisation absolutely everywhere. just do it, and dont look back.

So what's the best benefit of running this VM verses just a straight Plex Plugin?

Is there any performance or benefit?  Since I mainly just run plex, i'm just wondering if there's much benefit to running a VM?

Huge benefits, in that you are encapsulating 'risk' within a safe environment keeping unRAID doing what it does best.

Performance hits are negligible, less than 5%. The dependencies required for a straight unraid plugin not just plex, but all the other stuff too are pretty ugly and still being tweaked. I know, because I've done it, that you download this VM and have plex up with 5 minutes. No need to reboot the host, or run installplgs.

I feel much happier having my storage separated from my apps. grumpybutfun wrote huge posts on this stuff, just have a browse around the forum and you will find posts advocating virtualisation absolutely everywhere. just do it, and dont look back.

Thanks man, got this all up and running today! Put the vm on a non array drive, which is great so far!

New image uploaded. Now up to v4.

There is no need for existing users to upgrade, I just wanted to release an image that shipped with more up to date packages as there have been several kernel upgrades since my last release. This is the beauty of Arch, existing users don't need to upgrade, they simply need to issue ` pacman -Syu ' and you'll be up to date.

I've updated a few repo packages and added a few new ones this weekend too, finally got around to it! Figured it won't be long till beta4 so it was worth updating the image now so all my new downloaders get a fresh image.

Peace!

Permissions are not the same, not for plex user. The appstore folder is owned by root, and group and others do not have write access (ie. plex user cannot write). Either change owner to plex, or give that folder write permissions for group and others as well

Thank you, I gave it shot but for some reason it hangs.

realmode.c:116:d11 Failed to emulate insn.

realmode.c:166:d11 Real-mode emulation failed @ 0000:000069b9: 0f 00 f3 69 00 00

got it, you have to install grub on the disk, so load up the iso, install grub and done.

quick question do i need ioemu for physical disk?

Thank you IronicBadger!

I just got it installed yesterday and manage to install Crashplan (from the AUR repository using Yaourt, using headless crashplan guide here) and plex on it.

I had a lot of trouble with autofs not mounting correctly and ended up using Samba. I couldn't get Samba to work with fstab: I think mainly due to delay between bootup and when ArchVM can find the Unraid server. I wound up hacking together a Systemd startup service mounting my drives using guide from:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd_FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_make_a_script_start_during_the_boot_process.3F

My service script (myscript.service in my case) is below:

[unit]
Description=My script

[service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/sleep 100
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mount -t cifs -o username={insert user name},password={insert password},rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //Tower/Data /mnt/Data
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mount -t cifs -o username={insert user name},password={insert password},rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //Tower/apps /mnt/apps
ExecStart=/usr/bin/systemctl restart crashplan

[install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

-Change {insert user name} and {inert password} to your username/password for the Unraid shares.

-Change //Tower/*** to your share and /mnt/*** to where you want it to mount it on the archVM.

-The sleep 100 is necessary because there's a delay between boot up and when ArchVM can find Unraid server.

-It restarts the crashplan service so crashplan can find the newly mounted files.

-You don't need to use a separate script file using this method since all the commands are in the service file itself. I found that the commands didn't run at all if I put it as a separate script file (?maybe because the commands need to be run as root?).

This seems to work for me and I hope it helps others out there.

Hi - i'm having a problem that i'm not sure how to fix. I logged into my archvm to find that the .img file was full at 14G

+                OS: Arch Linux x86_64
               #                Hostname: ArchVM
              ###               Kernel Release: 3.13.7-1-ARCH
             #####              Uptime: 1 day, 17:45
             ######             WM: None
            ; #####;            DE: None
           +##.#####            Packages: 194
          +##########           RAM: 686 MB / 4005 MB
         #############;         Processor Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
        ###############+        $EDITOR: nano
       #######   #######        Root: 14G / 14G (100%) (ext4)
     .######;     ;###;`".      
    .#######;     ;#####.       
    #########.   .########`     
   ######'           '######    
  ;####                 ####;   
  ##'                     '##   
#'                         `#  

I'm not sure why though, since all my apps are using the cache drive. I've got sab, cp, sb and headphones setup. As much as I could in each of their settings I pushed things to the cache drive (i.e. logs, cache, admin and of course download folders). I've got my fstab setup as follows:

//Server/Apps /mnt/unraid/Apps cifs auto,rw,guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=077,dir_mode=077,noperm 0 0
//Server/Movies /mnt/unraid/Movies cifs auto,rw,guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=077,dir_mode=077,noperm 0 0
//Server/Pictures /mnt/unraid/Pictures cifs auto,rw,guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=077,dir_mode=077,noperm 0 0
//Server/Music /mnt/unraid/Music cifs auto,rw,guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=077,dir_mode=077,noperm 0 0
//Server/TV /mnt/unraid/TV cifs auto,rw,guest,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=077,dir_mode=077,noperm 0 0

Where the Apps folders is my cache drive and the others are the array shares, set to use the cache disk.

The VM has been up since I rebuilt it Monday night...so it's not like a reboot screwed up the fstab...at least not that i know. I'm not sure what else to look for or what other info to show you guys. Thanks in advance.