[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I appreciate it. The weird thing is I installed it and it was running fine on the VM. The other day the wife pulled up a workout on air video and it said invalid. I reinstalled air video with no avail. All the files do work I checked them on my PC. I'm curious if the updates my have screwed it up.

I have installed nothing special - just removed openJDK and installed Oracle Java instead.

What is

[root@Arch Kino]# systemctl status air-video-server
? air-video-server.service - Air Video Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/air-video-server.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-04-04 10:16:15 BST; 19s ago
Main PID: 2123 (java)
   CGroup: /system.slice/air-video-server.service
           ??2123 /opt/java/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar /usr/share/air-video-server/AirVideoServerLinux.jar /r...

Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: air-video-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=143/n/a
Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: Unit air-video-server.service entered failed state.
Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: Starting Air Video Server...
Apr 04 10:16:15 Arch systemd[1]: Started Air Video Server.

Post a syslog. Another thought - where do you have your content...maybe that's your issue too:

@bnevets, I'm having the same effect....as soon as I run cd /net/Tower/mnt/user/xyz-folder, every folder that I have exported via NFS is showing up.

Here is the output

-bash: /root/.air-video-server: Is a directory
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# systemctl status air-video-server
â air-video-server.service - Air Video Server
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2014-04-03 15:31:07 EDT; 1 day 2h ago
Main PID: 235 (java)
           ââ235 /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk/jre/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless...
[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]#

How can I install oracale java? I tried reinstalling with that option but I get a not found error.

Got this installed all working nicely.

Just wanted to check that I am passing through the USB Correctly, Added the following to the bottom of arch.cfg:

usb = 1
usbdevice = "host:xxxx:xxxx"

Cheers

No. You want PCI blah blah. Usbdevice refers to the vnc server. Common misconception.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am posting this in the hope that it may be of help to others.

I added several daemons to my ArchLinux VM, as replacements for those I used to run as unRAID plugins.

Now, it may be the way I have my system setup, but several daemons do not start up properly if they are started before the network is up and running, and many do not start up properly if nfs/autofs is not able to reach the unRAID shares.

For example, LogitechMediaServer needs the network up (possibly just because I have an LMS plugin which need Internet access (WeatherDateTime), and deluge needs access to user shares (because that is where the torrents are written to).

Reading up on the issues, it seems that there isn't a standard way to get the systemd service startups to wait for the facilities to be up and running.  To get around this, I have created two services, with shell scripts.

One waits for the network to be available, by pinging another device (could be your router - I'm using my dns/dhcp/ntp server (a Raspberry Pi running ArchLinux).

The script is :

#!/bin/bash

for (( c = 1; c <= 120; c++ ))
do
  ping -w 120 -c 1 -rn -I eth0 10.2.0.1 >/dev/null 2>&1
  if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then break
  fi
done

and the .service is:

[unit]
Description=Wait Network Ready
Requires=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/bin/network-up.sh
TimeoutStartSec=0

The other script waits for the unRAID user shares to be ready:

#!/bin/bash

for (( c = 1; c <= 600; c++ ))
do
  echo hello >/net/tower/mnt/user/Torrents/test.test 2>/dev/null
  if [ $? -eq 0 ]
    then break
  fi
sleep 1
done
rm /net/tower/mnt/user/Torrents/test.test

and the associated .service is:

[unit]
Description=Wait nfs Ready
Requires=network-up.service
After=network-up.service

[service]
Type=notify
ExecStart=/usr/bin/nfs-up.sh
TimeoutStartSec=0

All I have to do, then is to add the appropriate .service as 'Requires=' and 'After=' lines in the daemon's .service file.

I'm still attempting to resolve an issue which seems to be an interaction between minidlna and CouchPotato.

Scroll up about solution to network delay........

Was that aimed at my reply 482?

If so, then I would reply:

I already have Tom's solution to the network startup delay implemented.  What I have posted is not to do, directly, with the network startup delay.  It's more to do with the fact that the .service and .target completion signals don't, necessarily, happen when you think they should.  Try reading the web page which is referenced in network-online.target (here).  That should give a better understanding.

Even with Tom's fix in place, there is an eight second delay between network-online.target and my ping test (network-up.service) succeeding.  If your daemon starts up and tries to access the network during those eight seconds, it will fail.

Worse still - if your daemon starts up when the network is up (ie, my ping test succeeds) and tries to access (write to?) a user share on unRAID within 60 seconds, it will fail also.  It seems that nfs/autofs take around 61 seconds to become fully functional.

I was finding that deluge did not recognise the already completed parts of the download (held on an unRAID user share), and was restarting from 0%.  A manual 'Force Re-check' would sort the problem, but required manual intervention every time the system booted up.  We've just had our third power cut of the day, so you can understand why this is a serious concern for me!

Similarly, minidlna was not finding any media files (also held on a user share) at boot up.  A 'systemctl restart minidlna' would resolve it, but resulted in a full media rescan, and also required manual intervention.

In case you think that these delays may be on the unRAID side - I can demonstrate them on simply rebooting the VM and not disturbing the unRAID DOM0 at all.

just curious to hear why you run dns, DHCP,  etc outside of your router.

Very simple - I've always used Draytek Vigor adsl routers (14 years) because the transparent VPN bridging was very useful when we had split company offices and a variety of hardware (DEC PDP/VAX/Alpha, PC, Acorn Risc OS etc.).  Prior to that we were using Ascend ISDN routers.  However, the Vigor does have drawbacks:

No ntp server

No support for pxe in the dhcp server

Doesn't cope well with dns for local machines with fixed ip (the ip/mac binding doesn't allow for hostname to be entered)

I recently decided to add a managed UPS to the router and found it simple and inexpensive to deploy an RPi/ArchLinux for that purpose.  This also lends itself to supporting other services in a more flexible way than the Vigor allows.

HAVOC here is what you are searching for: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32198

Okay gentlemen I am at my wits end with this air video server. I double checked the nfs shares they are up, but still the files are showing up invalid. Cleared the thumbnail cache as posted in the air video forum. My only other option my be to scrap this vm and then re-set it up?

Air video running:

Active: active (running) since Sun 2014-04-06 07:06:36 EDT; 3min 24s ago
Main PID: 195 (java)
           ââ195 /opt/java/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar /usr/share/...

fstab set up properly

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# cat /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/xvda1
UUID=93ec2c22-36c1-487c-a888-adde602a16fe       /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered   0 1
//192.168.1.6/DVDs /mnt/DVDs cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
#//192.168.1.6/Videos /mnt/Videos cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
//192.168.1.6/Music /mnt/Music cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
//192.168.1.6/cache /mnt/cache cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,rw,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
192.168.1.6:/mnt/user/Videos        /mnt/Videos     nfs ro,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0

Okay gentlemen I am at my wits end with this air video server. I double checked the nfs shares they are up, but still the files are showing up invalid.

I presume that you have tried "systemctl restart" on the air video process?

If not, are you suffering from the problem I was addressing in reply 482?

Okay gentlemen I am at my wits end with this air video server. I double checked the nfs shares they are up, but still the files are showing up invalid.

I presume that you have tried "systemctl restart" on the air video process?

If not, are you suffering from the problem I was addressing in reply 482?

I have rebooted the VM multiple times and air video starts properly. I was originally mounting the shares via cifs, and no issues with the boot up and shares being found, but after updating arch something happaned. I switched to Nfs and back to cifs both are showing files invalid. Files are confirmed valid via PC. I have open jdk to oracale jre and that has not helped. I just want it to work.

HAVOC here is what you are searching for: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32198

Okay gentlemen I am at my wits end with this air video server. I double checked the nfs shares they are up, but still the files are showing up invalid. Cleared the thumbnail cache as posted in the air video forum. My only other option my be to scrap this vm and then re-set it up?

Air video running:

Active: active (running) since Sun 2014-04-06 07:06:36 EDT; 3min 24s ago
Main PID: 195 (java)
           ââ195 /opt/java/bin/java -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar /usr/share/...

fstab set up properly

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 ~]# cat /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/xvda1
UUID=93ec2c22-36c1-487c-a888-adde602a16fe       /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered   0 1
//192.168.1.6/DVDs /mnt/DVDs cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
#//192.168.1.6/Videos /mnt/Videos cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
//192.168.1.6/Music /mnt/Music cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,ro,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
//192.168.1.6/cache /mnt/cache cifs noauto,x-systemd.automount,rw,username=nobody,password=,_netdev 0 0
192.168.1.6:/mnt/user/Videos        /mnt/Videos     nfs ro,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,intr,async,nodev,nosuid 0 0

Any chance of a new thread pls havoc? Its getting a bit much for this one. Ta

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi PeterB, interesting post and very glad you took the time to post it, i too have been struggling with an app running under arch linux, namely sabnzbd, the issue in short is that autofs takes too long to start and thus sabnzbd is started before autofs, and thus anything that is defined as external to the vm gets lost and folders get reset in sabnzbd. my solution so this was a kludge, basically i put in a simple delay to the systemd service for sabnzbd so that autofs has time to start BEFORE sabnzbd, so the entire service ends up looking like this:-

[unit]
Description=SABnzbd binary newsreader
After=network.target

[service]
ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/sleep 60
ExecStart=/opt/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -l0
User=sabnzbd
Group=sabnzbd

[install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

now your solution looks a lot more slick that mine, but mine does seems to work well :-). to be honest im a bit disappointed that systemd cannot intelligently tell you when the network is up, the line after=network.target does NOT actually guarantee this  :o

since i have put in the fix for the network delay as posted by tom i havent had chance to remove my hack and see what happens, just for the record im seeing a VERY quick response now for a dhcp lease in the vm, typically as soon as the vm hits login prompt i can see a ping response back, so im hoping that autofs may start sooner than sabnzbd now, i shall report back when im feeling brave :-).

just curious to hear why you run dns, DHCP,  etc outside of your router.

Very simple - I've always used Draytek Vigor adsl routers (14 years) because the transparent VPN bridging was very useful when we had split company offices and a variety of hardware (DEC PDP/VAX/Alpha, PC, Acorn Risc OS etc.).  Prior to that we were using Ascend ISDN routers.  However, the Vigor does have drawbacks:

No ntp server

No support for pxe in the dhcp server

Doesn't cope well with dns for local machines with fixed ip (the ip/mac binding doesn't allow for hostname to be entered)

I recently decided to add a managed UPS to the router and found it simple and inexpensive to deploy an RPi/ArchLinux for that purpose.  This also lends itself to supporting other services in a more flexible way than the Vigor allows.

Makes sense.  I have pondered getting an RPi to play with and maybe just for XBMC, but the lack of audio out annoys me.  (I have no HDMI where I would put it)

I have pondered getting an RPi to play with and maybe just for XBMC, but the lack of audio out annoys me.  (I have no HDMI where I would put it)

Yes, that is a weakness of the RPi.  You can get HDMI splitters, but costly, and an extra box to locate.  Although I bought five RPis,

I also bought a TBS2910 Matrix to play with - much more powerful, inludes Gb network, s/pdif port etc.

now your solution looks a lot more slick that mine, but mine does seems to work well :-).

A fixed delay may work while your system is stable but could well fail if you add another app to your boot sequence

Sent from my thl T100S using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I've got this VM up and running, but I can't get autofs working correctly.  showmount will only show my shares if I use the IP address of my UnRAID servers in the command.  If I try to use the names (Tower and TowerB) I get the port mapper failure error.  I can't ping Tower or TowerB either (from the ArchVM or the UnRAID login).  I have confirmed those are the names that are showing up in my router and I can connect to and ping those names from my Windows PC.  Those are also the names I use to get to the webGUI of both servers.

How do I get this working correctly from my consoles though?

Thanks,

Doug