[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

Give the tretflix VM a try, you will just need to install virtualbox manager on a Linux machine to convert the image file to something compatible with xen but you can find instructions in the thread on this forum

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Tapatalk

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I installed couchpotato from the unraid6 repo everything was working fine. Lately I've been having some issues and am unable to update. When I try to do a git-pull I get the below message.

[root@ArchApplianceVM_v3 couchpotato]# git pull
fatal: '/home/alex/pkg/couchpotato-git/CouchPotatoServer' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

I know you were having some server issues, just curious if this was because of that? Thanks.

I was having this issue as well and it was driving me crazy.  Finally found the solution in the ArchLinux forums:

/opt/couchpotato/.git/config needed to have the "url" line under the [remote "origin"] section changed to this:

https://github.com/RuudBurger/CouchPotatoServer.git

Once I did that, no more errors in the logs and it checked for updates successfully as well.

Finally got cifs to mount on boot using an /etc/fstab entry. mount -a would work, but on boot it just wouldn't. No messages in /var/log/samba either.

The two more recent changes I made:

1.) Added x-systemd.automount to my line. (auto didn't work)

2.) Made change mentioned here by Tom a few posts down:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32682.0

My /etc/fstab line is below. I used the uid and gid of the sickbeard user during my previous attempts to even get this working on the command line with Sickbeard. Possible a subset of this entry could be used with everything working. I may look into that later.

//192.168.1.119/Media /mnt/unraid cifs rw,username=fiscalcon,password=<MyPass>,uid=998,gid=998,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,x-systemd.automount 0 0

Hi guys,

Stupid question no doubt, but how do I get usb passthrough to work???  Ive spent so long looking my eyes are aching so ive no doubt missed it.

Cheers

I think you need to figure out the pci bus address for the usb controller and then pass it through in your config file.

eroz, thanks for that, I have the pci bus address so what command needs to go in and what cfg file is it the ubuntu vm one?

What are you using or trying?  Ubuntu or Arch Linux.

*edit*

I see your other post asking in the Ubuntu guide.  I'll answer there.

you need to edit /etc/hosts file to tie your server IP to its name.

Oh okay.  How do I need to edit it?  I already have:

127.0.0.1      REBEL-DATA localhost

Can you please send me the original Autofs.master and autofs.Tower contents?  I've hosed them all up.

Thanks!

from within your VM, type nano /etc/hosts

You should see something like this...

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
::1             localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.20.150  localhost.localdomain   media

# End of file

the only thing I've added to the default file is the last line, with my unRAID IP and the host name of my machine (media).

That should take care of you.

from within your VM, type nano /etc/hosts

You should see something like this...

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
::1             localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.20.150  localhost.localdomain   media

# End of file

the only thing I've added to the default file is the last line, with my unRAID IP and the host name of my machine (media).

That should take care of you.

FTFY

Whoops, thanks, sorry about that.  I'm not sure where the extra text came from.  I fixed my original quote also.

Sorry for any confusion.  :-[

Thank you for the example!  Got it working, didn't realize I had to do that on the Arch side too.  Much appreciated!

So I finally got autofs to see my unraid tower (Awesome, thanks for everyone's help!) but now SAB keeps resetting the download path to opt/sabnzbd instead of the /mnt/data/sabnzbd drive I setup.  I followed the instructions to make a secondary drive and it's mounted properly and I can access it, but SAB keeps going back to it's default.

And then when I manually copy the stuff over to /mnt/data/sabnzbd/complete, Sickbeard can't seem to move it to my unraid drives under /net/Tower/mnt/user/Videos.

I think it's all permission issues.  Anyone else seeing any of this?

Thanks, freenet is working. It is a project that can be quite slow in development. Once loaded the first time, its /opt/freenet/update.sh script finishes the job!

Good luck with the puppy, and protect any wooden furniture legs!

In reply to the networking issues:

The steps I posted previously are correct, the command is 'systemctl disable dhcpcd'. Do not try and set the IP address in .cfg file, you are wasting your time!

My preferred option is to set the mac address in the .cfg file, and then use my router to reserve an IP via dhcp - I found this much more reliable but for those of you that don't have routers which support this then follow these steps to make a fixed IP work.

Couple of questions / comments

- I know I did not disable dhcpd in my install.  Yet I get this

[jumperalex@arch_vm ~]$ systemctl status dhcpd
â dhcpd.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Have you disabled it in your image updates since this post?

Given that it is not running, does it still make sense that my router ip reservation is working?  How would Arch know what IP to use?  I had initially created the static ethernet service you described but it was failing in systemd.  I disabled it, as a test and noticed I was still getting the same IP address which I'm attributing to my router's ip reservation.

I'm just trying to figure out what is going on.  I'm reading the arch man on systemd and it is starting to make sense i think.

I've got 2 of your VMs running, with a third on the way -- very easy to use..

The one I'm working on now is intended to be a MythTV backend, but in order for it to work it requires a functional xorg environment to do the configuration

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MythTV

The first thing in the xorg page is "lspci | grep VGA"  which of course shows me nothing.

If there's a page or post that talks about how to passthrough VGA - I can't find it easily.  Can somebody point me in the right direction?  Note - I'm not trying to pass any tuners through, I have hdhomerun for that.  Just need vga so I can setup. 

And if it's not on that same page, can someone give me highlights of how this works?  I have one VGA adapter - does the passthrough just emulate it to allow VNC, or do I need another VGA so I can still have my unraid console output?

Very confused...

Actually - I think the real question is, can you have xorg on a headless PV arch box, without a vga adapter passthrough?

The one I'm working on now is intended to be a MythTV backend, but in order for it to work it requires a functional xorg environment to do the configuration

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MythTV

The first thing in the xorg page is "lspci | grep VGA"  which of course shows me nothing.

Do you need to use the physical screen?  I have one ArchVM running with the Tiger vnc server, using xorg/xfce, to run jdownloader.  This is easily accessed from any desktop in the house.  If this would work for you, then start with the vnc section of the Arch Linux Wiki.