[XEN VM IMG] ArchVM <--- deprecated 01/07/2014

Would like to try and get this running in my ArchVM.  Before I backup my VM, and take a shot at this, wanted to see if anyone here has attempted to install it ?  Or maybe it could be added to the Arch Repository.  I think development has stopped on MediaFrontPage, and Maraschino has slowed to a crawl. 

http://htpc.io/index.html

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/htpcmanager-git/

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Added to repo, though there was an error during build. If it fails I'll look more into it. But please try as is, it may be fine. :)

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(5/5) checking keys in keyring                    [######################] 100%

(5/5) checking package integrity                  [######################] 100%

(5/5) loading package files                        [######################] 100%

error: error while reading package /var/cache/pacman/pkg/htpcmanager-git-b437e9f-1-any.pkg.tar.xz: Truncated input file (needed 17039360 bytes, only 0 available)

error: failed to commit transaction (libarchive error)

Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Damn, too bad, this looks like a real sweet piece of SW for those running XBMC.  What would be my next step trying to get this working in my ArchVM ?  I'm willing to try if it's doable.

(5/5) loading package files                        [######################] 100%

error: error while reading package /var/cache/pacman/pkg/htpcmanager-git-b437e9f-1-any.pkg.tar.xz: Truncated input file (needed 17039360 bytes, only 0 available)

Damn, too bad, this looks like a real sweet piece of SW for those running XBMC.  What would be my next step trying to get this working in my ArchVM ?  I'm willing to try if it's doable.

I'm away this weekend but will endeavour to fix this upon my return. until then you can try learn how to use AUR yourself. steps are readily available on the arch wiki.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm away this weekend but will endeavour to fix this upon my return. until then you can try learn how to use AUR yourself. steps are readily available on the arch wiki.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You are the man, was it an easy fix ?  Curious to know, so I can learn :)

Yeah, reboot the compile VM with more RAM allocated!

For HTPCmanager to display pretty thumbnails of your movies and other media it requires PIL or pillow, I don't know if this was covered already in here or not but just thought to mention it just in case.

It doesn't seem to survive after a VM reboot.  Remove and install again and it works with all settings intact.  Probably something simple, but I'm just not that adept yet.

Job for htpcmanager.service failed. See 'systemctl status htpcmanager.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

â htpcmanager.service - Htpc-Manager Daemon

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/htpcmanager.service; enabled)

Active: failed (Result: resources) since Wed 2014-06-18 09:13:32 PDT; 1min 47s ago

Process: 691 ExecStart=/usr/bin/env python2 /opt/htpcmanager/Htpc.py --daemon --datadir /opt/htpcmanager --loglevel WARNING --pid /run/htpcmanager/htpcmanager.pid (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: 2014-06-18 09:13:32 :: modules.stats ...st

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: *************************************...**

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: Starting HTPC Manager on port 8085.

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: Start your browser and go to http://l...5/

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: *************************************...**

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: PID file /run/htpcmanager/htpcmanage....

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: htpcmanager.service never wrote its ....

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: Failed to start Htpc-Manager Daemon.

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: Unit htpcmanager.service entered fai....

Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.

-- Logs begin at Sun 2014-02-02 04:53:20 PST, end at Wed 2014-06-18 09:13:32 PDT. --

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: Starting Htpc-Manager Daemon...

-- Subject: Unit htpcmanager.service has begun with start-up

-- Defined-By: systemd

-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel

--

-- Unit htpcmanager.service has begun starting up.

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: 2014-06-18 09:13:32 :: modules.stats :: ER

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: ******************************************

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: Starting HTPC Manager on port 8085.

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: Start your browser and go to http://localh

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 env[691]: ******************************************

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: PID file /run/htpcmanager/htpcmanager.pi

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: htpcmanager.service never wrote its PID

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: Failed to start Htpc-Manager Daemon.

-- Subject: Unit htpcmanager.service has failed

-- Defined-By: systemd

-- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel

--

-- Unit htpcmanager.service has failed.

--

-- The result is failed.

Jun 18 09:13:32 ArchApplianceVM_v3 systemd[1]: Unit htpcmanager.service entered failed

You are the man, was it an easy fix ?  Curious to know, so I can learn :)

Yeah, reboot the compile VM with more RAM allocated! The error message was pretty cryptic and I had a v busy weekend. Glad it's sorted for you now.

Just a heads up. I've spent the afternoon tinkering and fighting XML files for KVM. The upshot is I have a working KVM guest with virtfs 9p unraid array support.

I must say it feels faster than Xen and 9p is on a different planet to SMB (not a network based protocol). Working out a few details surround qcow2 vs raw IMGs atm and am shaping up for a release imminently. Converting an existing VM will work but will require a bit of effort on your part. I'll post these steps in a write up later on too.

In summary, I'm making the switch for my systems here for now. 9p is really that good.

Speak soon.  8)

should be great if 9p filesystem could be auto mounted during boot, fstab do not work, since this is executed before network is up, manually mounted of 9p is oK, can this be done with sytemctl ?

//Peter

I have it working using the same trick for SMB with

Media /mnt/Media  9p  auto,x-systemd.automount,trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,rw    0   0

That will still fail to mount at boot but as soon as it is accessed by a service, such as Plex, then it is mounted and works fine.

What do you plan to use your new images for, that can't be done with docker containers?  Just curious.

Until I learn Docker and am fully comfortable with it, everything.

TBH, headless Linux VMs are going the way of the dodo with Docker but they may still have their place and it's so easy to make one to help new people I thought, why not.

I trust you'd address this but I'm asking now out of curiosity:

Can we use / convert our current data.img easily?

Converting an existing VM will work but will require a bit of effort on your part. I'll post these steps in a write up later on too.

Right.  But not just the VM, I'm asking about the data.img.  is the answer the same I assume?

There is no reason this should be any different. I am going to assume that the bulk of the work is removing the Xen virtualized drivers and replacing them with KVM drivers. The virtual disks should continue to be accessible, though they may need to be converted to qcow format (not sure about this).

IB can confirm, but I would be surprised if the answer was any different.

I get this error, what have I done wrong?

root@Tower:/mnt/cache# unzip ArchVM_v5.zip

Archive:  ArchVM_v5.zip

creating: ArchVM/

inflating: ArchVM/arch.cfg

inflating: ArchVM/arch.img

root@Tower:/mnt/cache# ls

ArchVM/  ArchVM_v5.zip  cache_only/

root@Tower:/mnt/cache# cd ArchVM

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/ArchVM# ls

arch.cfg*  arch.img*

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/ArchVM# xl create arch.cfg -c

Parsing config from arch.cfg

libxl: error: libxl_device.c:265:libxl__device_disk_set_backend: Disk vdev=xvda failed to stat: /mnt/user/VMs/ArchVM/arch.img: No such file or directory

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/ArchVM#

----------

Is it because I have not done this?

kernel = "/mnt/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz" <--- You need to mount the Arch Linux ISO in /mnt/arch

ramdisk = "/mnt/arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img" <--- See above

extra = "archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201402"

-----------

So:

# Created for the unRaid community by IronicBadger.

# Last updated 19/05/2014. Enjoy!

name = "archVM" # change me as required

# bootloader = "pygrub"

kernel = "/mnt/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz" <--- You need to mount the Arch Linux ISO in /mnt/arch

ramdisk = "/mnt/arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img" <--- See above

extra = "archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201402"

memory = 4096

vcpus = '2' # update me to no of CPUs allocated

disk = [

'phy:/mnt/user/cache/ArchVM/arch.img,xvda,w',

# 'phy:/mnt/user/data,xvdb,w'

]

# replace xx:xx:xx with random a1:b2:c3 mac address

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:a1:b2:c3,bridge=br0' ]

Is that correct? Or am I totally missing something?  This is a new install

Here is my archVM cfg file...

name = "Arch5"
vcpus = '2'
memory = '2048'
maxmem = '4096'
vif = [ 'bridge=br0,mac=00:16:3E:A5:A5:A5' ]
disk = ['file:/mnt/cache/VM/Arch5/Arch5.img,xvda,w' ]
bootloader = "pygrub"
localtime = 1

I have removed the extra disk, which points to the archvm install image.  it appears you have that disk commented out with #

Try changing to this...

name = "archVM"
# bootloader = "pygrub"
memory = '4096'
vcpus = '2'
disk = [ 'phy:/mnt/user/cache/ArchVM/arch.img,xvda,w' , 'phy:/mnt/user/data,xvdb,w' , 'Add your unzipped raw arch image here'  ]
localtime = 1

What version of unRAID?

unRAIDServer-6.0-beta6-x86_64.zip

What version of the ArchVM image?

ArchVM_5.zip

What is the exact arch.cfg you are now using?

name = "archVM"

# bootloader = "pygrub"

memory = '4096'

vcpus = '2'

disk = [ 'phy:/mnt/user/cache/ArchVM/arch.img,xvda,w' , 'phy:/mnt/user/cache/ArchVM/arch.img,xvdb,w' , 'Add your unzipped raw arch image here'  ]

localtime = 1

What is the ls -l of your arch folder?

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/ArchVM# ls

arch.cfg  arch.img*  arch1.cfg

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/ArchVM#