Non listed motherboards

Hi all,

So I've been going through the boards listed in the wiki and it seems a lot of the boards that are known to work are discontinued for sale here in Australia.

So I have been wondering about buying one that is unknown/untested. Is there any specific items/features/controllers that one should look out for or avoid in determining if it's suited to unraid?

Or is it just a case of buy, test and test some more?

Cheers all

Adam

The two key things that can cause issues are SATA controllers and NICs.

If you use a common chipset with a network adapter that others are using you'll be okay with almost any modern board.

You may want to post a question r.e. the specific board you're thinking of here to see if somebody's already using it.

Thanks Garycase,

I'll do some more research regarding chipsets & nics.

The board I have been ponding is the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+.

Has enough sata ports to keep me going and onboard video plus enough expansion room for future use. And is around the money I'm looking at spending.

Here's a link to my local supplier:

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/asrock-fm2a88x-extreme4-fm2-motherboard-ab53359#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

Cheers

Thanks Gary,

After more reading and searching I have found an Asus A55m-A for a really good price (for oz anyway).

The nic is an Realtek 8111F and from scouring the forums, I can't find any reported issues with this nic.

If this board "looks like it should be ok", I'm happy to purchase and provide any feedback to assist where I can..

Cheers