[WIP] XBMC VM Appliance

I'm currently experimenting with VGA passthrough and having an XBMC appliance, which is Xen capable and supports AMD graphics cards without chomping CPU (as these passthrough the easiest and are what I have). As of right now, it works but is NOT ready for primetime.

Your hardware must support iommu or vt-d to do this. No ifs, no buts. Sorry.

If you want a quick play, download Xbmcbuntu and use the following cfg.

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbuntu/

builder="hvm"
name = "xbmcbuntu"
memory = 1024
vcpus = '2'
disk = [ 
'phy:/mnt/user/cache_only/xbmcbuntu/xbmcbuntu.img,xvda,w',
#    'file:/mnt/user/cache_only/xbmcbuntu/xbmcbuntu-12.00.Intel-AMD.iso,hdc:cdrom,r'
]
boot="dc"
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx,bridge=br0' ]
usb = '1'
usbdevice = 'tablet'
vnc = '1'
vnclisten = '0.0.0.0'
vncpasswd = ''

pci = ['01:00.0','01:00.1','00:1d.0']

Of note, you will also need to do some configuration in your syslinux.cfg file under /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg. Here is mine (look for the xen-pciback.hide bit). You need to grab your device IDs using lspci in unraid itself.

label Xen/unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /syslinux/mboot.c32
  append /xen dom0_mem=2097152 --- /bzimage xen-pciback.hide=(01:00.0)(01:00.1)(00:1a.0)(00:1d.0) --- /bzroot

This will create a HVM Xen guest, with working GPU passthrough giving you an example of what is possible. It is not production ready, and I haven't yet found an XBMC build for radeon which doesn't stink through CPU usage. It needs a dual core CPU to play a blu ray rip, and that's no exaggeration. I am testing lots of other things to get it going too, but for now it's just a proof of concept.

-----

What now?

I really need someone who is an XBMC Radeon expert to help me.

Thank you, you really helped more than you could possibly image.

I'm working my way through this atm.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

I already explain how to do it in shitbuntu... http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31570.msg286363#msg286363

You want a VM, PV drivers and no desktop and without out all the other crap that XBMCbuntu has installed in it.

Do either of you guys know if XBMCbuntu with a Radeon supports bitstreaming of HD audio?  I know in the past there were some issues doing that on various linux builds so I just went with XBMC on Windows.  It does eat up my CPU though, never could get the hardware accelleration working with ESXi 5+.  I'm currently using a 5450 and 6450.

Do either of you guys know if XBMCbuntu with a Radeon supports bitstreaming of HD audio?  I know in the past there were some issues doing that on various linux builds so I just went with XBMC on Windows.  It does eat up my CPU though, never could get the hardware accelleration working with ESXi 5+.  I'm currently using a 5450 and 6450.

I will create an image with XBMC that uses the Radeon drivers and HD Audio.

I will create an image with XBMC that uses the Radeon drivers and HD Audio.

That would be awesome.  Some of these things are easy to me with regards to ESXi, but being fairly new to linux I feel like I am starting over, haha.

If you have seen any of my previous guides, I will make it noob friendly.

I'm sure it'll be easy with a guide.  I had XBMC running in a windows VM close to 3 years ago and back then there was little info to be found on GPU passthrough with ESX.  Especially for my purposes.  You get used to having a disposal of tools to manage ESX so switching to linux xen/kvm can be a little daunting.  Definitly looks like a lot more "tweaking" has to be done, but that could just be due to my unfamiliarity with it.

Don't get me wrong...12.2 + XVBA has worked really well for me.  The one stupid, little thing that drives me nuts is the sound artifacts I get when I start and stop videos (like quick sound stuttering for a second or two).

Do you guys get that?  FYI...I'm not using an AV receiver...directly to TV.

John

I've never had that problem but I'm going through an AVR if that makes any difference.

I did have to add:

<audio>

<streamsilence>1</streamsilence>

</audio>

To advancedsettings.xml so that I don't get a 1-2 second break in audio after resuming from pause.  But I doubt this has anything to do with what you've described.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...