Powerdown package for unRAID v5 and v6 (DEPRECATED)

dlandon

Just to make it clear, I do not hold anything against dlandon for not continuing with this. If anything I owe you and the previous developers a big thank you for your effort in maintaining it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hear hear!  And Dan, enjoy your beer on me...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One other question:  For those of us who already have it installed on 6.2, should we remove it due to pending issues?    ... and what are those issues?    It SEEMS to be working perfectly on my system ... and while it's unfortunate that I can't add it to other systems as I move them to 6.2, I'd like to know the "why" before I remove it from the system it's already installed on ... especially since it seems there are still issues with the "built-in" powerdown function (per a few recent posts).

It has not been extensively tested on 6.2.  The next time you boot up it will refuse to install if it has been updated, so it will be gone then.

Hopefully the built-in powerdown will work once that happens.  Meanwhile, it's certainly working just fine in 6.2 for me (no VM's or Dockers, however, as it's just a storage and media streaming server).

Just to clarify, when you say "... if it has been updated ..." => are you referring to UnRAID or the PowerDown script ?

One other question:  For those of us who already have it installed on 6.2, should we remove it due to pending issues?    ... and what are those issues?    It SEEMS to be working perfectly on my system ... and while it's unfortunate that I can't add it to other systems as I move them to 6.2, I'd like to know the "why" before I remove it from the system it's already installed on ... especially since it seems there are still issues with the "built-in" powerdown function (per a few recent posts).

It has not been extensively tested on 6.2.  The next time you boot up it will refuse to install if it has been updated, so it will be gone then.

Hopefully the built-in powerdown will work once that happens.  Meanwhile, it's certainly working just fine in 6.2 for me (no VM's or Dockers, however, as it's just a storage and media streaming server).

Just to clarify, when you say "... if it has been updated ..." => are you referring to UnRAID or the PowerDown script ?

Powerdown plugin.  The latest version will not install.

Thanks for the info.  Guess I need to be sure I don't update Powerdown  :)

That's what I did, plugin has worked fine for me on all v6.2 beta and RC releases, no reason for it not to work on v6.2 final, that's why I don't understand why it was barred from install now, if there were issues with v6.2 they would also be on the betas and RCs.

That's what I did, plugin has worked fine for me on all v6.2 beta and RC releases, no reason for it not to work on v6.2 final, that's why I don't understand why it was barred from install now, if there were issues with v6.2 they would also be on the betas and RCs.

It's working perfectly for me on the final as well.  I can understand why Dan doesn't want to support it anymore; but I don't really understand why he felt he had to bar it from installing on 6.2 => I'd think a strong "Install at your own risk if you're running 6.2"  warning on the OP would have been good enough.

It's working perfectly for me on the final as well.  I can understand why Dan doesn't want to support it anymore; but I don't really understand why he felt he had to bar it from installing on 6.2 => I'd think a strong "Install at your own risk if you're running 6.2"  warning on the OP would have been good enough.

LT changed things regarding the shutdown process in 6.2 and did not say anything to me about any changes so I could keep up.  No surprise there.  I had to reverse engineer their implementation to solve some issues in the powerdown plugin.  That's not a good way to do things.  I worked on it a bit, and decided that it was time to rely on LT to work out any shutdown issues.  Several of you have commented that it worked fine in the beta and rc phases, but it did not shut down Dockers or VMs.

LT needs to get feedback about the issues with shutdown so they can address them.  If the powerdown plugin was left in place even with a warning, users would just install the plugin and go on - then complain to me that it is broken when they have problems.  LT would never get the chance to address the problems.  Posting a message about use at your own risk just postpones the inevitable.

If the powerdown plugin is that important to everyone, why have I not received any contributions towards my efforts?  I get it, you want me to just keep working for free so your server will shutdown nicely when you need it to!

The unRAID forum contributors put a lot of time and effort into the work they do here.  I could name some, but I think you know who they are.  I've never been involved in a product where contributions are so generously given.  LT should show a lot more gratitude and support for the contributors here that make unRAID the great product that it is.  There are several apps that I feel are a tremendous asset to unRAID - Dynamix, CA, UD, and the great Docker apps from the linuxserver group come to mind right away.  There are many more that make unRAID a pleasant experience.

Sorry guys, I just can't put any more effort into an add on to make unRAID do what it should do itself.  The powerdown plugin was a kludge to start with from the v5 days and I kept it going far too long.  It's time to move on.

While I don't expect Dan to continue development on powerdown (as he is correct about this being limetech's responsibility if you do wish to show him gratitude for his efforts prior to deprecating this plugin you can get the link by finding powerdown in CA's previous apps section

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

My sister is having problems with her server where she cannot shut down the array. It gets stuck at "retying to unmount". We are having issues where one of her hard drives shows as emulated. We want to go into Maintenance Mode to do a check, but we can't as we are not able to properly stop the array.

I plan on trying the "Open Files" plugin, and the older Powerdown version plg. I too am grateful to dlandon for his help... and if possible, I will send him some beer money!

Dlandon, please put a donate button somewhere please.

My sister is having problems with her server where she cannot shit down the array. It gets stuck at "retying to unmount". We are having issues where one of her hard drives shows as emulated. We want to go into Maintenance Mode to do a check, but we can't as we are not able to properly stop the array.

I plan on trying the "Open Files" plugin, and the older Powerdown version plg. I too am grateful to dlandon for his help... and if possible, I will send him some beer money!

My post above will get you to do donate link since powerdown will still show up within the previous apps in CA

My sister is having problems with her server where she cannot shit down the array. It gets stuck at "retying to unmount". We are having issues where one of her hard drives shows as emulated. We want to go into Maintenance Mode to do a check, but we can't as we are not able to properly stop the array.

The powerdown plugin still works on 6.1.9.  You didn't say which version of unRAID she is using.

You can donate to any developer by going to Apps and click on the icon of the app.  Squid added the ability for developers to add a donate button there.  It is on all my plugins - Unassigned Devices, Recycle Bin, Open Files, Enhanced Log Viewer, and Tips and Tweaks.

I encourage everyone that benefits from any developer providing plugins and Dockers to donate to their efforts and let them get a little benefit from their work.  I'm not sure everyone appreciates the difficulty in an app being backwards compatible, the testing to be sure an app works with all supported versions of unRAID, and the support when things don't work as expected.

EDIT: The powerdown plugin doesn't help with the webgui loop of unmounting drives.

Because that's the application categorizer and I never bothered to add my donate button to it (shows up under CA user scripts FCP and the help button)

For Dan's click on one of his plugins (or it will also be in the text description)

... I'm not sure everyone appreciates the difficulty in an app being backwards compatible, the testing to be sure an app works with all supported versions of unRAID, and the support when things don't work as expected.

Fully aware of how much time and effort it takes to develop, maintain and support.

I spend really a lot, I mean a LOT of my spare time in development of Dynamix and associated plugins at no additional cost to LT or their customers. Some things which may look simple to the end-user may take a huge amount of testing, tweaking, correcting and retesting (literally months) even before it hits public status.

Keeping up with bug reports and provide fixes in adequate time is another time consuming activity and not to be underestimated.

So yes, a thank you in words or otherwise once a while keeps all the community developers motivated.

... I'm not sure everyone appreciates the difficulty in an app being backwards compatible, the testing to be sure an app works with all supported versions of unRAID, and the support when things don't work as expected.

Fully aware of how much time and effort it takes to develop, maintain and support.

I spend really a lot, I mean a LOT of my spare time in development of Dynamix and associated plugins at no additional cost to LT or their customers. Some things which may look simple to the end-user may take a huge amount of testing, tweaking, correcting and retesting (literally months) even before it hits public status.

Keeping up with bug reports and provide fixes in adequate time is another time consuming activity and not to be underestimated.

So yes, a thank you in words or otherwise once a while keeps all the community developers motivated.

I can imagine the time and effort you put into Dynamix and the add on plugins.  Just the few times I have helped you with testing has taken me quite a bit of time.  Keep up your good work.  I can't imagine unRAID without Dynamix.

I can imagine the time and effort you put into Dynamix and the add on plugins.  Just the few times I have helped you with testing has taken me quite a bit of time.  Keep up your good work.  I can't imagine unRAID without Dynamix.

Luckily for me CA is still my obsession and basically fills all my non working hours.  And even with all the time spent by all the various developers sometimes bugs slip through for one reason or another a(and occasionally outside of our control)  which necessitates basically dropping everything that might be happening in our lives to fix it because bugs just don't affect us personally but the community at large.