Powerdown package for unRAID v5 and v6 (DEPRECATED)

dlandon

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New certification ... Community Developer (that's what we are)

What are the differnce between community developer and certified community developer?

one is nuts ?

certify

?s??t?f??/

verb

past tense: certified; past participle: certified

attest or confirm in a formal statement.

"the profits for the year had been certified by the auditors"

synonyms: verify, guarantee, attest, validate, ratify, warrant, confirm, corroborate, substantiate, endorse, vouch for, testify to, provide evidence of, authenticate, document; More

bear witness to, bear out, give proof of, prove, demonstrate, back up, support

"the aircraft was certified as airworthy"

British

officially recognize as possessing certain qualifications or meeting certain standards.

"scenes of violence had to be cut before the film could be certified"

synonyms: accredit, recognize, license, authorize, approve, warrant; More

empower, qualify, endorse, sanction, vouch for, put one's seal of approval on, appoint, give a certificate to, give a diploma to

"the woman would be taken to a certified hospital for examination"

officially declare insane.    <<<<<< referring to this definition , lol.

What are the differnce between community developer and certified community developer?

None

Ive just taken the time to read the posts over the past few days. I am still not 100% sure I understand just exactly what we are truly loosing with the depreciation of Powerdown. I guess time will tell.

Please accept the 20 mins I've taken to amend my signature as a shout out and a BIG Thank You to the Community Developers that contribute to my unRAID experience the most. Without these developers it is my opinion that unRAID would not be as close to as great as it is and probably wouldn't even sell as many licences as they do!

None

Ive just taken the time to read the posts over the past few days. I am still not 100% sure I understand just exactly what we are truly loosing with the depreciation of Powerdown.

Please accept the 20 mins I've taken to amend my signature as a shout out and a BIG Thank You to the Community Developers that contribute to my unRAID experience the most. Without these developers it is my opinion that unRAID would not be as close to as great as it is and probably wouldn't even sell as many licences as they do!

Danioj,

We all appreciate your shout out and thank you to the developer community.  There are some incredibly talented people here that make me feel like an amateur.

As far as powerdown, it was initially started by WeeboTech back in the V5 days when shutdowns were very troublesome.  It morphed into a plugin that kept shutdown issues to a minimum in V6.  It's main function was to always try to get unRAID to shutdown cleanly, but insure that unRAID did not hang and not shutdown at all.  Most people don't have issues with the builtin powerdown, but some have the dreaded 'hang' when trying to shutdown their server.

It also brought in additional functionality of archiving logs and performing a diagnostics collection when shutting down.  All of these efforts were to help those having shutdown issues.

The powerdown plugin has been around so long, that many of us (me included), don't know how unRAID works without it.

Bottom line is that if you can stop your array without the trying to unmount disks loop, you will probably not have any issues with the lack of powerdown.

Those having issues should post a defect report with a diagnostics so LT can find the issues and get them fixed.

None

Ive just taken the time to read the posts over the past few days. I am still not 100% sure I understand just exactly what we are truly loosing with the depreciation of Powerdown.

Danioj,

We all appreciate your shout out and thank you to the developer community.  There are some incredibly talented people here that make me feel like an amateur.

As far as powerdown, it was initially started by WeeboTech back in the V5 days when shutdowns were very troublesome.  It morphed into a plugin that kept shutdown issues to a minimum in V6.  It's main function was to always try to get unRAID to shutdown cleanly, but insure that unRAID did not hang and not shutdown at all.  Most people don't have issues with the builtin powerdown, but some have the dreaded 'hang' when trying to shutdown their server.

It also brought in additional functionality of archiving logs and performing a diagnostics collection when shutting down.  All of these efforts were to help those having shutdown issues.

The powerdown plugin has been around so long, that many of us (me included), don't know how unRAID works without it.

Bottom line is that if you can stop your array without the trying to unmount disks loop, you will probably not have any issues with the lack of powerdown.

Those having issues should post a defect report with a diagnostics so LT can find the issues and get them fixed.

I understand. Thanks for taking the time to summarise and explain.

The fact is I doubt LT would accept a defect report from me. I do experience the unmount disks loop but I have narrowed it down to a few things:

- open terminal sessions

- mounting of smb shares to my backup server and other shares via unassigned devices

- libvirt not shutting down on 6.1.9 (as I had mapped use of custom bridges) but seems to have disappeared on 6.2

Either way, I imagine LT would argue that either me maintaining an open terminal, mounting smb shares or using custom bridges constitutes behaviour they don't anticipate or expect and the fix is to stop.

However, saying all that, I have not had a single hang on 6.2. So, fingers crossed.

For me, it was the ability to use a 'K' script to shutdown all my VMs cleanly when stopping the array without having to remote/ssh into each one and shut them down individually.

For me, it was the ability to use a 'K' script to shutdown all my VMs cleanly when stopping the array without having to remote/ssh into each one and shut them down individually.

Take a look at the User Scripts plugin.  You can do the same thing as the K scripts.

The main point is the ability to safely shutdown the array when the WEB UI is hung or not-responding.

I appreciate your honorable mention, but at the same time thinking it doesn't do justice to ALL community developers. There is a whole bunch of gifted people out there, spending their time in improving the unRAID experience at no cost.

To all community developers thank you for your contributions, it has made the great unRAID experience even better!

I appreciate your honorable mention, but at the same time thinking it doesn't do justice to ALL community developers. There is a whole bunch of gifted people out there, spending their time in improving the unRAID experience at no cost.

To all community developers thank you for your contributions, it has made the great unRAID experience even better!

Oh jeez.

If you have changed the default port from 80 for emhttp, you will have issues with the builtin powerdown script as it relies on emhttp being on port 80.  If emhttp is not available at port 80, a shutdown will not happen.

That explains why it doesn't work for me. I changed the port for PlexConnect

If you have changed the default port from 80 for emhttp, you will have issues with the builtin powerdown script as it relies on emhttp being on port 80.  If emhttp is not available at port 80, a shutdown will not happen.

That explains why it doesn't work for me. I changed the port for PlexConnect

LT is working on an answer that will work with a port other than 80 for emhttp.

Hi,

just wanted to ask if I can safely remove the powerdown folder under /boot/config/plugins after upgrading to 6.2

That folder wasn't removed by the automatic uninstall after upgrading to v6.2

Are there any other files from the powerdown plugin that possibly didn't get deleted?

Thanks for your time supporting and creating this great plugin.