Bad choice to use USB key id for license..

and although strictly you could email tom and keep the cost for two servers at $149  it might end up at $300 for that backup key some people advise to get !!!  Of course, you only have 1 parity disc  :(

the more i investigate this product the less attractive it is becoming  :'(

your first key is $119 its $30 for a second one (or two for $149) if you read http://lime-technology.com/registration-keys/

one parity disk but no striping so only lose whatever data was on the drive that died (if more than one die at once)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and although strictly you could email tom and keep the cost for two servers at $149  it might end up at $300 for that backup key some people advise to get !!!  Of course, you only have 1 parity disc  :(

the more i investigate this product the less attractive it is becoming  :'(

your first key is $119 its $30 for a second one (or two for $149) if you read http://lime-technology.com/registration-keys/

one parity disk but no striping so only lose whatever data was on the drive that died (if more than one die at once)

There is also the promotion that has been running (is it still?) where you could get an additional key for $30 on top of those already purchased.  This has meant you could end up with 3 Pro keys for $179.  The stated aim of the promotion was to make it easy to have a spare Key for v6 testing but it also acts as a backup.  Also, you only really need a single backup key for multiple servers as simultaneous failures of USB drives on multiple machines is extremely unlikely.

As itimpi noted, with the current "extra key for testing" promotion, you could buy 3 keys for a total of $179 ... that's $60/ea for Pro keys, which seems pretty reasonable.

Agree one spare is plenty for two servers ... Tom is very good at providing replacement keys when a flash drive fails, so it's very unlikely you'd have a 2nd key fail before you got a new flash drive and replacement key from Tom if you had a spare to use in the interim.

Certainly true there's only 1 parity disk ... but the consequences of a dual drive failure are much lower than with a RAID-5.    We'd all like dual parity to give us RAID-6-like fault tolerance, but that's simply not a feature of this software.

As for UnRAID not being a backup -- that's absolutely true ... NO RAID is a backup, no matter how fault-tolerant.

so is it impossible to make an unraid software have radi6  (2 parity) ?

At the current time, yes

I think from what i have read i would use unraid in one instance on 'basic' as a backup server due to its ability to run disc size mismatches and the easy nature in which to recover data, but for a front end server with masses of storage for videos i think it would have to be a zfsguru for its power,speed of transfer (30gb files sometimes!) and plugin feature sets.

best of both worlds at minimal cost's and risk.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the same thumb drive I've been using for the last 4 years. A little SanDisk Blade 2GB. My server has been up about 30 days since the last reboot and I have 7070 reads and 65 writes to it. To be killing your thumb drives so quickly you've either got to be using some really shit thumb drives or you're doing something wrong.

I agree that flash drives are VERY reliable.  In 6 years of using UnRAID on multiple servers for both myself and others, I've seen ONE flash drive fail.  (out of perhaps 30)

In the great scheme of things, I think the flash drives are far more reliable than the hard drives in the systems.

Yes they are reliable if you don't write to them allot or if they are large.

Since I'm a developer and sysadmin, I write to mine allot. Whenever you use vi, it writes a .filename.swp file.

So every edit with vi causes a write even if you do not save it.  When you start filling and testing with packages it adds to more writes.  On top of that testing all kinds of controllers and hardware adds more writes.

I've had a few fail. I switched to SD cards and had the SD cards fail.

At least I was able to replace the cards without having to wait for a new key.

For a developer who needs to alter and test files allot on the USB key, they may not last as long.

For the average user a USB key will be reliable.

The larger the space, the more reliable because there are more unused cells that can be used.

Yes, if you're doing a lot of write cycles, that impacts the reliability a lot.  I not only don't write to the flash drives, but I also don't use any significant add-ons -- my UnRAID servers are used strictly as NAS devices (with only UnMenu installed for UPS support).

I agree the little SD card holders that separate the media from the GUID make good sense for your situation (and any other developers who use their systems in a similar way).

• 1 month later...

It's been over 5 days since my usb drive failed and I've gotten no response. Luckily it's just a major inconvenience for myself and it hasn't cost me any money, definitely would not recommend this for anything that's tied to your income.

It's been over 5 days since my usb drive failed and I've gotten no response. Luckily it's just a major inconvenience for myself and it hasn't cost me any money, definitely would not recommend this for anything that's tied to your income.

I would check spam folders and email again as the email either direction could have went there and has nothing to do with having the key on a USB key.  I get responses from Limetech within a day and on at least one occasion within the hour - on a regular basis.  So something is wrong and you need to contact Limetech again on this.

Thanks, I'll try from another email account. I originally sent an email using their Web form and a copy of the same email from my Gmail so I figured they should have gotten at least one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

just to chime in. over the last 4ish years running unraid ive had 2 CRAPPY flash drives die. both times tom has transfered my liscence onto a new flash drive in less that 2 hours.thx for the outstanding service  :)

I would recommend using good USB flashdrives. You will loose array integrity if your flash goes and the price difference between good and crappy is pretty darn low. Your data is a valuable asset and you don't want a $15 flashdrive to be the reason you lost a drive's worth of data!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

i have a big problem and need your help for this:

In 2010, i bought a lizenz from a friend of mine - he had 2 lizenses and sold one to me.

Now the USB-Drive (Kingston DataTraveler G2) get weak and i need to change the USB.

I have a Lexar FireFly 8GB and i like to use this now.

My Problem: The lizenz is registerd to my friend and i dont know, how to get a new key

I have all Data from the old Key and also the old GUID

Am i autorized to claim a new Key for the new USB-Drive because the lizenz is not registerd to my name?

Thanks for you Help

Zonediver