Recommended Motherboards for UnRAID 6 (XEN)

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H is a lot cheaper (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128547), and supports iommu vt-x vt-d.  I have an i7-3770 in mine, and am certainly hoping it will work well with unRaid 6 (haven't tried yet).  This mb and an m1015 card get me all the ports I need.

It doesn't support my needs though with PCIe16 slots and the PCI slots are just wasted space for me.

ASRock so probably a good chance it supports IOMMU / VT-d

$539.99 demands more than a good chance.  ;D  Researching....

Tech support pointed me to the manual for the MB and it says:

Intel Virtualization Technology

Intel Virtualization Technology allows a platform to run multiple operating systems

and applications in independent partitions, so that one computer system can function

as multiple virtual systems

V T-d

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O helps your virtual machine

monitor better utilize hardware by improving application compatibility and

reliability, and providing additional levels of manageability, security, isolation, and

I/O performance.

Which doesn't exactly answer my question but it does look very promising. I'll ponder it for a few seconds more wait until I can confirm that UNRAID supports the LSI 3008 controller before buying it.

Intel Virtualization Technology allows a platform to run multiple operating systems

and applications in independent partitions, so that one computer system can function

V T-d

reliability, and providing additional levels of manageability, security, isolation, and

I/O performance.

Which doesn't exactly answer my question but it does look very promising. I'll ponder it for a few seconds more wait until I can confirm that UNRAID supports the LSI 3008 controller before buying it.

ASrock is really good at VT-D support, so you are likely safe. At worst, buy it from somewhere that has a good return policy. As long as you have the other components (ram & cpu) you can always test it and return it if you don't like it.

V T-d

I/O performance.

In the UK too.

http://www.onestoppcshop.co.uk/asrock-z87-extreme11-ac.html?gclid=CJuamv2Jy7wCFVKWtAodXn4Asw

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Now that it has been a while, what has been the best motherboard so far in 2018 ?

(which is good with iommu groups & hardly has anything shared).

I have seen certain motherboard manuals(Threadripper-based), that don't have that PCI sharing table listed. Can I assume these are board don't share any IRQs ?