Server not spooling up after power failure

Hi Unraid Community,

I hope someone here can help me. A couple of nights ago the power went out in my neighborhood which lasted until the following morning. When I turned my server back on, it make its normal disk-spin sounds, then eventually emit one beep (normally I think it's 3 beeps). When I then try to connect to the server, it can't be found on my network. Telnet can't connect either.

I've already tried re-seating the memory, and even got new dimms on the chnce that it would fix it - no dice. In all other aspects, the server is physically running. As in, the box is on, the drive lights are on, the ethernet port looks like it has activity.

Any leads as to the issue would be appreciated. I'm running on version 4.7.

Thanks in advance!

Can you attach a monitor and keyboard?

Hi trurl,

Thanks for responding. I'll need to check since it was built for me as a headless system. Assuming it can go either way:

1. Would it "hurt" anything if I installed a video card while the server is in its current condition?

2. If / Once I do have a monitor hooked up, what should I be looking for?

Thanks again!

Monitor and keyboard additions won't hurt it. (check the back, there may already be a socket for a monitor builtin to the motherboard. (it'll be a 3/4"  'D'shape socket, sticking out of the back, with two rows of little tiny holes.  Its probably blue! :))

As long as its powered down anyway, you might take the flash drive over to a PC and run 'Checkdisk' on it. (Disk Utility if you're on a Mac.)

Bad shutdowns (such as a power failure) can corrupt the flash drive.

As long as its powered down anyway, you might take the flash drive over to a PC and run 'Checkdisk' on it. (Disk Utility if you're on a Mac.)

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your response. Chkdsk didn't find anything wrong with the flash drive:

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

Still working on keyboard / monitor install / setup.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your response. Chkdsk didn't find anything wrong with the flash drive:

*Finally* managed to find the time to install the vidcard and try this again!

The boot process seems to go through fine until it hits a section that says:

INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"

INIT: Id "cx" respawnig too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Then it does seem to wait the 5 minutes, and then goes through the iteration again. Attached are a couple of screenshots.

Any clues?

init01.jpg.72c972be5b6b837df6a9328bc3c1e753.jpg

init02.jpg.e3cc997705b3c04f94fda616bd43b1bf.jpg

Hi Dale,

*Finally* managed to find the time to install the vidcard and try this again!

The boot process seems to go through fine until it hits a section that says:

INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"

INIT: Id "cx" respawnig too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Then it does seem to wait the 5 minutes, and then goes through the iteration again. Attached are a couple of screenshots.

Any clues?

Managed to scroll back up to the head of those INITs, and this is where it sounds like something has gone wonky:

grep: /proc/mounts: No such file or directory

/etc/rc.d/rc.S: line 287: /sbin/mount: No such file or directory

/etc/rc.d/rc.S: line 305: No such file or directory

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3

Going multiuser...

Starting sysklogd daemons: /usr/sbin/syslogd -m0 Error, do this: mount -t proc none /proc

/usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf: line 18: /boot/config/network.cfg: No such file or directory

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf: line 19: /var/tmp/network.cfg: No such file or directory

Then it goes into the previously-mentioned INIT loop.

Try a different USB port. It sounds like your thumbdrive is not being mounted / read correctly, or is corrupt.

Tried on all the other USB ports. No luck same behavior  :'(

Here's the current echo - looks like some thing('s) changed from the last attempt:

/etc/rc.d/rc.S: line 287: /sbin/mount: No such file or directory

/etc/rc.d/rc.S: line 305: No such file or directory

chmod: cannnot access '/etc/random-seed': No such file or directory

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3

Going multiuser...

Starting sysklogd daemons: /usr/sbin/syslogd -m0 Error, do this: mount -t proc none /proc

/usr/sbin/klogd -c 3 -x

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf: line 18: /boot/config/network.cfg: No such file or directory

/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf: line 19: /var/tmp/network.cfg: No such file or directory

Some of these locations are part of the RAMfs of the unRAID OS. It still seems like a problem with the flash to me, or maybe memory. Have you done a memtest?

If you still have the download for your version of unRAID, compare the bzroot files from the download with the bzroot on your flash.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of these locations are part of the RAMfs of the unRAID OS. It still seems like a problem with the flash to me, or maybe memory. Have you done a memtest?

If you still have the download for your version of unRAID, compare the bzroot files from the download with the bzroot on your flash.

Can bzroot be opened with Notepad? Not sure what to use to view it. In any case, I did an MD5 compare between my last backup (Jan) and they're identical. I've also already ran a memtest but nothing came up. Is there any value in running it again?

• 2 weeks later...