Coffee Thank you button.

pyrater

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm

I see some people have adopted this already. Can we all join in? Is that cool with LimeTech?

Also, there was a post on here a few weeks ago linking to an article about companies relying on the user community to provide support, but I cannot find it. Anyone come across it recently?

Thanks

Peter

I have not heard any negative reaction from Limetech, but that large screaming "buy me a coffee" logo in the sig is very annoying! Lord knows if I had a cup of coffee from every user I've helped I'd be wired for life, and I might consider adding an unobtrusive small coffee mug to my sig, but not the big green monster I am seeing!

Please, let's not add such commercial crap to the forum! First it's a button, next it's 'but why is my baby wipes advertisement not allowed, because you allow other advertisements' and next there will be so much spam, in one swoop the whole forum will be completely unusable.

Please, let's not add such commercial crap to the forum! First it's a button, next it's 'but why is my baby wipes advertisement not allowed, because you allow other advertisements' and next there will be so much spam, in one swoop the whole forum will be completely unusable.

I tend to agree with Wody here. Let's not 'downmarket' what is, after all, a superb forum with meaningless and annoying clutter like what is being proposed. Keep it plain and simple! There .... i've said it! Guess i dont need a coffee button now ...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

We have a lot of people that spend a lot of time developing plugins/tools, helping with recovery, providing advice, and generally making this a helpful place. I do not think a buy coffee (although I prefer a buy a beer) button is out of place. We already see donate buttons in various sigs. I just would like to see them small. I do not think it is the same as advertising a product.

I like it for one reason: giving back to open source development and developers ers is always good.

I dont like it for a few reasons: it is messy, it is non standard (i.e. to many flavors of donation type) but most of all it is not inclusive enough.

I dont want to be be able to donate to one person and not another. Developers should be offered the perk and then they are free to reject it (as I usually do). This is differernt from devlopers opting in or advertising for donations and i just plain nicer.

Equally I dont want to run around donating to a dozen people because that is a chore.

I dont know if I have ever said this publicly before but I re-suggest my group fund idea. Basically every donation would go into a single large pot including hopefully a donation from Limetech LLC and then using some system this is divided out annually.

There are many ways this could be allocated but that is a detail that could be worked out. To my eye this is more elegant , certainly more transparent and just far less awkward for developers who might accept a donation but dont want to advertise for such.

All very good ideas.  The two major areas are:

1. How can I go one level further beyond a "thank you" to someone who has helped me out or provide recognition for a great post; and

2. How can we contribute to a developer (unRAID customer) on a plugin we like.

We have discussed this internally in the past and will discuss more soon, but, as you can imagine, the focus right now is on getting the next releases out.  Meanwhile, it's great to see your ideas, including the pros and cons.

Thanks,

TomH