Should I be worried?... mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

Hi All,

As the subject suggests, i am seeing several

mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

errors in my syslog. Not being very software savvy, I have searched the forums and have discovered that this error is being reported by the CPU but am unaware of a way to find out exactly what the error is.

The error has appeared 16 times in the last 32 hours and to my knowledge, no operational problems have accrued with the server, e.g. all disks still accessible and GUI still running. So no reset needed.

unRAID is currently running stock, with no plugins etc as i've recently upgraded from my below set up to an Asus Z87-K Mobo, Intel i7-4771 3.5GHz CPU and 8GB (4GBx2) Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer RAM (BLT2CP4G3D1608DT2TXRGCEU).

My question is, should i be worried about these errors? They don't seem to be causing any functional problems. If i should be trying to eliminate them, how do i go about trying to identify the cause?

Thank you for your help,

Rich

syslog.txt

Just wanted to chime in that I'm having the same errors.  Sometimes many within a short time period and then days without a single one.  Memtest came back fine.  I was going to run stresslinux to see if the CPU was having any problems but I just decided to not worry about it.  Only app I'm running is Plex and I've had no crashes or unusual behavior.  As long as everything functions as I expect I'm not going to spend any time on it.

• 1 month later...

Same issue on a fairly new unRAID setup.  Not knowing what might be causing it, I unplugged all the drive cables/replugged all the drive cables, moved the usb flash card from the cable inside the case to an outside port, spun up/down all drives individually...  Still get the error at random times.  Guess I'm not going to worry about it!