unRAID Vendor Forum?

seanant

Wouldn't unRAID reseller be a more appropriate name for the subject forum?  For the most part all of the companies listed in this forum are not vendors.  THey do not create a product.  They take other vendors products and integrate them.  With the current name I expect to .see and read about Seagate, Western Digital etc....

Wouldn't unRAID reseller be a more appropriate name for the subject forum?  For the most part all of the companies listed in this forum are not vendors.  THey do not create a product.  They take other vendors products and integrate them.  With the current name I expect to .see and read about Seagate, Western Digital etc....

I see your point, maybe "reseller" is a better term.  But the companies listed here build physical servers and set them up to boot into unRaid OS.  They might offer variations that boot into something else like WHS.  In this case would you call them "Microsoft resellers"?  No, I think you would call them a vendor (or maybe manufacturer) of WHS servers, right?

As someone who has spent most of his working life in the high-end IT market, a vendor tends to be someone who just sells boxes with no or little add-on. A reseller tends to have consultancy and/or support bolted on and offer a more bespoke service than the vendors (AKA box-shifters). The people who build their own hardware with another company's software on top are called OEMs (although OEM is more of a PC term and doesn't really appear much in the high-end IT market).

As someone who has spent most of his working life in the high-end IT market, a vendor tends to be someone who just sells boxes with no or little add-on. A reseller tends to have consultancy and/or support bolted on and offer a more bespoke service than the vendors (AKA box-shifters). The people who build their own hardware with another company's software on top are called OEMs (although OEM is more of a PC term and doesn't really appear much in the high-end IT market).

My experience and understanding is similar.

Semantics.  While I agree "vendor" may in some respects be a misnomer, I also think it's crystal clear what's meant in that sub-forum ==> nobody is likely to think these are vendors who supply Limetech with parts  :)

And it's actually not incorrect to call them vendors.  The definition of vendor varies by which dictionary you use; but almost always includes something along the lines of  "... a business that sells a particular type of product ...".      The companies listed in the vendor sub-forum clearly all sell a particular type of product -- computers with UnRAID licenses  8)