LSI SAS 3008 - supported?

I'm looking into the Z87 Extreme11/ac motherboard with it's 22 SATA3 ports with 16 of those under a "LSI SAS 3008 Controller+ 3X24R Expander" - is the 3008 supported by UNRAID?

I also have a question out for their tech support on support for PCI passthrough.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme11ac/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157470

Well the 6 non-90 degree SATA ports will work for sure, as those are from the Z87 chipset.  The other 16 being from the LSI chip.  I did some researching on this specific chip, and I can't see any information about putting this in JBOD mode, it looks like you can get the 3008 chip in IT mode.  However I could not find out if you could flash it yourself to IT mode.  But since it's integrated into the motherboard, and is already SATA ports instead of SAS ports, I'm going to assume that it will work.

Then again this is just a guess, your best bet is to email ASRock and ask if the RAID aspects of the chip is disabled.  I suspect it is and will work with unRAID, but it's better to check.

Not sure why you'd want something like this over just using controller cards and a motherboard with a normal number of ports. It would definitely be cheaper than a board like this.

Because I may put in four video cards which would take up all available slots.

In that case you might want to double check that you can have all four slots populated with video cards and use the full capability of the LSI card / port expander.

Reason I say this is because my mb disables the 4 1x pcie slots if the pcie 4x slot is populated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I bought a 3008 card (thankfully for only $200) before I read up enough on ZFS and wanting access to each disk.

I did get it reflashed to IT mode and the 6 drives I have show up individually in debian. I got the firmware here from Supermicro's ftp site. Note that the first visit to the ftp site requires you to acknowledge / agree it's not their fault. Then you need to go back and hit the link again. It also may or may not popout.

Then I put the UEFI IT files on the same LMDE usb boot stick I used for installing the OS and booted to the UEFI: shell via bios boot menu. Didn't know that you need to use dos-like command to switch to the usb drive. btw, shift pg-up works for scrollback. The uefi script failed to flash, so I went back later and executed the same commands from the script one at a time and it flashed ok.

Also, since this is similar to the LSI 9300-8i, I went there and downloaded all the files. sas3ircu worked out of box in debian; I made that one file executable & copied to /usr/sbin Of note, the 9311-8i OEM version has better user documentation.

Could anyone point me to a way to configure the write caching? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Hardware is a new Lenovo ThinkServer RD430 that I basically stole off Amazon for $699.

Edited to add:

I just confirmed this is offered by Intel, too as the RS3UC080 and their product page specifically mentions RAID and JBOD in the same breath. This is intel's ark page for the rs3uc080. This is the software download page and I'm thinking I may try flashing to intel's firmware.

sm_aocs3008L-L8i_front.jpg.ebba632b028eacd478d17568bede46d1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fricking HELP!

After 2 years, my DFI LP4 board died, and I took all 13 drives and went with this board.  The drives on the mobo work, but I cannot figure out how to get the 16 ports on the LSI SAS 3008 to work as JBOD?  The drives are all detected, but unRAID does not see them.  I am also new to UEFI, so that confuses me a little.  If I have to flash to another controller BIOS, I am fine with that if I can get to use JBOD.

I thought this would be easy since the board had all the ports on it, and I would just need to move the drives over and be done with it.  Just like everything I do, it turns out to be a real pain.  From what I have read, it looks like I have to download some other BIOS files and some type of UEFI driver, go into the UEFI shell and flash another OEM's BIOS and then supply a driver for unRAID to see the drives as JBOD?  Did I state this correctly?

I am open to purchasing an 8 port controller (with 64bit LBA for 3TB+ drives) and putting it into one of the PCI-E slots if this will be easier?  Can anyone suggest an easy to use, out of the box, controller for this to work (I have a 16 port Adapter, but it only likes drives 2TB or less)?  This repair keeps growing and growing in price :(

Dave

FWIW, I bought a 3008 card (thankfully for only $200) before I read up enough on ZFS and wanting access to each disk.

I did get it reflashed to IT mode and the 6 drives I have show up individually in debian. I got the firmware here from Supermicro's ftp site. Note that the first visit to the ftp site requires you to acknowledge / agree it's not their fault. Then you need to go back and hit the link again. It also may or may not popout.

Then I put the UEFI IT files on the same LMDE usb boot stick I used for installing the OS and booted to the UEFI: shell via bios boot menu. Didn't know that you need to use dos-like command to switch to the usb drive. btw, shift pg-up works for scrollback. The uefi script failed to flash, so I went back later and executed the same commands from the script one at a time and it flashed ok.

Also, since this is similar to the LSI 9300-8i, I went there and downloaded all the files. sas3ircu worked out of box in debian; I made that one file executable & copied to /usr/sbin Of note, the 9311-8i OEM version has better user documentation.

Could anyone point me to a way to configure the write caching? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Hardware is a new Lenovo ThinkServer RD430 that I basically stole off Amazon for $699.

Edited to add:

I just confirmed this is offered by Intel, too as the RS3UC080 and their product page specifically mentions RAID and JBOD in the same breath. This is intel's ark page for the rs3uc080. This is the software download page and I'm thinking I may try flashing to intel's firmware.

Not sure if you mean write cache, or cache drive.

If write cache, you would need the cache memory on the HBA and a battery to support it. I do not think the supermicro card has the memory or connector for the battery.

If you are looking for a cache drive, you would be better starting a new thread under the support sub forum for your version of unRAID.

What cable are you using and what source?

Hello,

I got the SAS3008 fixed, and it is now flashed in IT mode with the new BIOS.  PHEW!

When I boot it up, it shows all the drives, and I can go into the SAS BIOS and it shows everything now, as well as on the boot screen.

The problem I have is that in unRAID, the drives do not show up.  I pulled 5 drives and placed them on the mobo SATA ports, and those show up.

Do I need a driver for the LSI SAS 3008 to work, even if it is in IT mode?

Dave

Here is the IT BIOS:

www.davelikesbeer.com/lsi_it_mode_sas3008.zip

and if you want to go back to stock IR mode and make RAID0/2/10 array, like the way it shipped:

www.davelikesbeer.com/lsi_ir_mode_sas3008.zip

• 3 years later...