roland

First unRAID build (H87I-PLUS / Lian Li PC-Q25)

63 posts in this topic Last Reply

Thanks!

It will still be a headless server, so not GPU required for the VMs.

I will give it a spin.

Looks like I need a bigger cache disk soon ...

So I had a file-system problem on my cache drive.

A great opportunity to upgrade to 250GB and unRAID 6.2b23

The front fan started to get noisy again, after it settled down for a while. I think it has to go...

Any good recommandation?

It doesn't have to be super quiet, I was actually happy with the stock fan, but it started to "tick".

I had a little power outage just the other day and then this special landed in my inbox. Maybe a sign to finally get that UPS.

I know there are lots of threads about UPS and I think these ones are supported,  but how much do I need?

Just to cover my Q25 build with enough headroom to fill all the disk slots and maybe upgrade to 8TB disks in the very long run?

http://www.shoppingexpress.com.au/CyberPower-UPS-Double-Protection-Sale?sc_src=email_522086&sc_lid=16481211&sc_uid=cxGtCs4ymr&sc_llid=9291&sc_eh=991de2c4853ffe7e1

Any recommendations?

Don't buy a UPS without AVR (automatic voltage regulation).    The CyberPower Value SOHO units at the link you gave DO have this feature, so they'd be fine.    The 360w unit should be fine for your build; but I'd recommend going a bit higher to provide a bit more headroom (the 480w unit is fine).

I received and connected the UPS today.

CyberPower Value SOHO UPS 1000VA/550W

So far all looks good and a test shutdown went well (I only connected USB, not actually the power, just in case)

Now here is hoping I will never need it.

Don't forget to actually plug the server into the UPS  :) :)

Also, note the UPS has both battery backed up outputs and "surge only" outputs => be sure everything you want to run on the inverter is plugged into the battery backed up outputs.

You got me doubting myself ...

But this model does not have different outputs, both are battery backed up outputs.

But this model does not have different outputs, both are battery backed up outputs.

Yes, I see that (just looked at their pictures).    Most of the CyberPower units I've seen (in the US) have two sets of outputs -- one set is battery backed up;  the other set are surge only.

Yes, I see that (just looked at their pictures).    Most of the CyberPower units I've seen (in the US) have two sets of outputs -- one set is battery backed up;  the other set are surge only.

Quite common as my APC unit in Canada has the same.

The front fan started to get noisy again, after it settled down for a while. I think it has to go...

Any good recommandation?

It doesn't have to be super quiet, I was actually happy with the stock fan, but it started to "tick".

I've been using Noctua 140mm fans for years in my various PC-Q25 cases.  Never had a problem with them as far as cooling or reliability goes.  I only use the front fan, leaving the top fan hole open.

I only use the front fan, leaving the top fan hole open.

Do you cover the opening with something to prevent air from leaking? If not, then you could probably drop several degrees on your hard drives by forcing all the air to flow over the drives instead of bypassing them.

Typically you want all fans on one side of the drives to exhaust, and all fans on the other side to intake, and no air leakage bypassing them if you can help it. Some people even set up cardboard baffles to force the air to flow directly over the drives.