Dynamix - DNS Server

4nd

Hi,

One great feature of DNSMasq for developing is the ability to have wildcard domain names so I could point *.dev at a particular IP address allowing me to have any domain go there.

I don't see how to do this with the GUI, has anyone tried to do this or does anyone know enough about the plugin to make it work?

Hi,

One great feature of DNSMasq for developing is the ability to have wildcard domain names so I could point *.dev at a particular IP address allowing me to have any domain go there.

I don't see how to do this with the GUI, has anyone tried to do this or does anyone know enough about the plugin to make it work?

Can you tell me how the configuration should look like, I suppose it is a setting to be added to the conf file ?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is still on my 'todo' list.

You can manually change the configuration file by telnetting into the system and edit /etc/dnsmasq.conf, but this file gets overwritten each time a change from the GUI is done.

After a file change, you will need to restart the DNS service

/etc/rc.d/rc.dnsmasq stop

/etc/rc.d/rc.dnsmasq start

• 2 weeks later...

I've ended up here, trying to find a way of persuading certain bits of kit that you can't change the DNS on to use a SmartDNS service, whilst other device still use the normal instances.

It looks like if I run this server on my UNRAID array, I can then use the approach detailed here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=749508

to set a different DNS resolution for specific MAC addresses (eg the specific kit).

Anyone tried something like this? Any way of making it simple (re the GUI screwing up the config file) ?