Looking to upgrade server memory to 32 gig

JM2005

I am looking to upgrade my current unRaid server from 16 gigs to 32 gigs. I currently have all slots filled with the following memory listed below. Anyone know of any good deals on memory?

2 x Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G = 16 gig current

Thanks

Memory is practically free these days  :)

First memory card I bought was a 4KB card ... for the bargain basement price of $1200  8)

At that rate, 32GB would cost $9,600,000,000.00  8) 8)

Regardless of what it was back in the stone ages 8), it's about doubled in the last ~15 months. You could get the Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) he has for as low as $60. Also, there were deals around Black Friday 2012 for $25 for 8GB (2 x 4GB) and $60 for 16GB (2 x 8GB) desktop memory.

Agree.  But it's still very reasonably priced for what you get.

Someday in the future the 8GB modules we can buy today for ~$75 will likely seem like the "stone ages" to a new generation of techies, who will wonder why we even needed these "bit" computers to put these archaic modules in.   

I am looking to upgrade my current unRaid server from 16 gigs to 32 gigs. I currently have all slots filled with the following memory listed below. Anyone know of any good deals on memory?

2 x Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G = 16 gig current

Thanks

I have the following in my X9SCM-IIF

http://www.quill.com/crucial-technology-240-pin-dimm-server-memory/cbs/311879.html?promoCode=&Effort_Code=901&Find_Number=141615MEM

@JM2005 If you dont mind me asking, why do you need 16 or 32GB of memory?

Well I was thinking of adding more memory for future unRaid 64 bit.  May run more VM's  as well.

If you're running VM's that need it, it makes sense.  Note, however, that with unbuffered RAM, your memory subsystem will be notably more reliable if you only install 2 modules.  The signaling on the memory bus will be FAR "cleaner".    This isn't an issue with buffered modules, where there's one load/module; but with unbuffered modules there are 16 loads/module ... and 64 loads really degrades the signaling waveforms.

u6b3 has me considering a new build to take advantage of the passthrough goodness.  I stumbled on pcpartpicker - which aggregates part prices across several vendors.  it seems to reflect discounts/combo deals pretty well.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/memory/

happy hunting

Yes, however, SuperMIcro boards are quite picky about the RAM used on them.  Hence the thread asking what other were successfully using.

• 3 weeks later...