How do you mount an unraid drive in Ubuntu?

Since no one else answered, I'll give it a try...

on one side (unraid) you have to make sure you export the disk

on the receiving side, you have to have cifs.utils package to mount (smbmount, or mount -t cifs)

also you can use smbclient -L hostname to see what is exported by your unraid srv

I was able to get it mounted by creating a .smbcredentials file and running the following command:

sudo mount -t cifs //tower/disk2/ /tower/disk2 -o credentials=/home/sean/.smbcredentials

My next issue is regarding permissions. I can access the mounted drive, but I can't write to it.

Would I be better off using NFS?

I was able to get it mounted by creating a .smbcredentials file and running the following command:

sudo mount -t cifs //tower/disk2/ /tower/disk2 -o credentials=/home/sean/.smbcredentials

My next issue is regarding permissions. I can access the mounted drive, but I can't write to it.

While I'm not a linux export I believe CIFS is more for windows than for linux boxes. I think it would be easier on permissions if you used NFS as opposed to CIFS.

if your uid, gid don't match those on unraid server, try adding noperm flag in the mount command

(if you don't want to enforce permissions /credentials) - if this is a relaxed environment -o rw,guest,noperm should do the trick