Just a question about parity

I am looking at building a unraid server,  my question is that if u loose lets say 2 drives in a 25 drive setup,  do you need to copy the data from the other 23 drives before you can put them back into a array or can you just add 2 new drives and start a new array. I know you loose the data on those two drives who is lost,

I know you can do this with flexraid, but cant find any info about this on unraid

Correct me if I'm wrong, but If some file(s) is corrupted on those 23 disks it cannot be repaired when new parity is calculated.

With 2 disks already failed nothing can be repaired from parity.

Parity only allows one disk to be rebuilt. To do so it must have the parity plus all of the other disks. If parity or any of the other data disks cannot be read then rebuild of the one failed disk is not possible.

New config will just rebuild parity on the existing disks in the array and if any of them have bad data then that bad data will just become part of the new parity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but If some file(s) is corrupted on those 23 disks it cannot be repaired when new parity is calculated.

Unraid does not do ANY file level correction, EVER. It does not calculate parity on files. There is no protection against file corruption. Parity in unraid only works with a drive as a whole, it does not care or check individual files.

Please read this for a more in depth explanation.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Parity

Unraid does not do ANY file level correction, EVER. It does not calculate parity on files. There is no protection against file corruption. Parity in unraid only works with a drive as a whole, it does not care or check individual files.

Please read this for a more in depth explanation.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Parity

That is when checksums (made when the data IS known to be good) come in handy. These could then be checked for consistency BEFORE remaking reduced parity with any errors being able to be corrected from backup.

What i ment is if u loose 2 drives. Can u insert new disks and

Make new parity of the new array. So you loose just the data on the 2 broken drives. Or do u need to copy all data off. Then make a new array and copy the data back since you cant add a disk with data on

What i ment is if u loose 2 drives. Can u insert new disks and

Make new parity of the new array. So you loose just the data on the 2 broken drives. Or do u need to copy all data off. Then make a new array and copy the data back since you cant add a disk with data on

Sorry we got sidetracked on the details.

You don't need to copy all of the data from your good disks.

The way I would probably proceed in this situation is just new config with the existing data drives and let parity rebuild, then add each new (precleared) data drive, then copy the data back. There are probably other ways to get there but in the end you are going to have to rebuild parity at some point. In any case, you shouldn't copy the data back until you have rebuilt parity.

You asked this as purely hypothetical. If you are really in this situation then ask further so we can guide you through each step.

... make a new array and copy the data back since you cant add a disk with data on

... This quote explains your confusion.

As already noted, you do NOT need to copy any data off -- you simply create a new config and all will be well.    Your comment "... you can't add a disk with data on ..." only applies to adding a disk to a parity-protected array.    When you are first creating the array, that's not a restriction -- ALL of the disks can have data on them.

The clearing of disk before you can add it is only required so fault-tolerance can be preserved when you add the disk.    Since the new disk is cleared (all zeroes), there is no change to the parity, so everything is still protected.    But when you do a "New Config", the array isn't protected until parity is computed, so it doesn't matter what the contents of all of the data disks are.

The reason that i asked is because i have a highpoint 24 port raid card,  but if u loose 2 drives in a raid 5 you loose everything.  I have a license on flexraid that i have used long time on my windows computer.  But i wanna find a good solution for my archive box. And i have read much positive about unraid, and i like the fact that you dont loose everything.

So if i understand correct.  That you can just rebuild after a 2 or 3 drives crash.  I have backup of everything on usb drives so i'm not afraid to loose a drive or two, lol,   

Lets say u loose 2 drives,  Make a new parity of the existing drives, then add new drives and copy data back from my usb drives.

Did i understand correct.

If so i think this is the safest way to go without loosing everything.

yes that is correct with new system for parity.

I have done this (because 2 disks had Reiserfsck --rebuild-tree errors),

I ended up pulling those 2 out to rebuild a good parity.

this was mainly because I could not find much info about Reiserfsck --rebuild-tree at the time.

then on a basic system rebuilt the Reiserfsck --rebuild-tree to see what I could get back.

I think I would had been better to rebuild them in the 14 drive system,

but if another drive went faulty then 3 disk of data could had been lost.