SMART paramater tracking database

Version 0.0.4 of smarthistory is now posted.

Link is in OP.

New in this version:

- added option to wake up drives  (I set a cron job with this option once a week)

- added more tokens in the token config file

- fixed bug in Google chart parameters when y-value = 0

I'm very interested in feedback, and in suggestions for improvements, as well as default thresholds to use for each SMART parameter.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I have everything configured properly to create HTML reports with graphs.  See my attached smarthistory.program.conf.  Data files are being created, but they are flat text.  Am I missing a step, doing something wrong, or being impatient?  Am I supposed to execute some other script to create reports from the data files?

Is there a way to get more info about this?

There will be soon.... in the next version.

Or you can run smarthistory from telnet with the -debug ON option, or the -report ALL command line option.

cd /boot/smarthistory
php smarthistory.php -output ALL
php smarthistory.php -debug ON

OK.  Running it via cron will save the data, but you won't see output.

Oh.  I didn't realize that.

To see the output, run it from the command line.

This worked.  I see that the HTML is sent to STDOUT

Also, it appears that you only have data from Jan 24 for all but one of your drives.  Possibly they are all spun down today?

Yes.  That was the case.

I wrote a User Script file for unmenu to spin up my drives and show a report.  It works, except that the switch to spin up the drives doesn't appear to have any affect:

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL SMART History Report
#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR Run SMART paramater tracking database Report
echo "<pre>"
cd /boot/smarthistory
php smarthistory.php -wake ON

Am I using the wrong syntax to override conf file settings with a command line switch?

Actually, I just tried enabling the wake=ON parameter in the conf file and that didn't wake my drives up either.

Very nice.

Here is an unmenu User-Script to get the output to the screen with all the graphs.  It is all of 4 lines long!!  (my smarthistory.php is in /boot/smarthistory)

cat  50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL SMART History Report

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR Run SMART parameter tracking database Report

cd /boot/smarthistory

php smarthistory.php -wake ON -output HTML -graph IMAGE -report ALL

The output looks really nice, it even shows one of my drives has had another sector re-allocated since the last time it was run.

The only critique I have is that the graph might be made a little wider to take advantage of the available screen space.  This is especially noticeable on those graphs with long legend names.  To fix was easy, I just changed the smaryhistory.program.conf file to make the image wider (I increased it from 150 pixels to 300 pixels wide).

; igs is the graph size (in pixels) of in-line IMG graphs (HTML output only)
;igs=150x85
igs=300x85

The button in unmenu under User-Scripts looks like this:

2hn2ec2.jpg

Pressing it results in graphs like this (you can see the change in the reallocated sector count from 3 to 4):

2q9yrgo.jpg

And, it appears as if my two oldest drives are showing up as "warnings" in yellow... They have racked up some hours spinning away for the past three years.

iylh0y.jpg

All in all, a VERY nice addition to the tools we have on our servers to monitor their health...  and VERY easy to integrate in unMENU...  Nice Job bubbaQ!!

Joe L.

Is there a way to get more info about this?

There will be soon.... in the next version.

Or you can run smarthistory from telnet with the -debug ON option, or the -report ALL command line option.

cd /boot/smarthistory
php smarthistory.php -output ALL
php smarthistory.php -debug ON

...hmmmm plot is getting thicker, probably the one that doesn't report SMART data is "sdg"... the interesting part is that I DO NOT have a drive sdg!

I have sda to sdh and I have hda to hdc!

In fact I couldn't have sdg even if I wanted as the mobo has six SATA ports (and 2 ATA - having 3 devices).

This morning I ran the smarthistory.php by using the User-Script button I created.  It reported that one of my disks had failed.

I investigated and found the serial number matched my parity drive, BUT I found the parity drive had not failed at all.

All the drives were sleeping when I ran the report.  Perhaps you did not wait long enough after spinning it up before reading the SMART attributes?

Joe L.

Looking at the output on the screen, from the smarthistory report, it showed:

*** DRIVE 9QJ0JPJS: FAILED S.M.A.R.T. HEALTH TEST!!!!  9QJ0JPJS: OK - ATA_Error_Count is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Raw_Read_Error_Rate is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Spin_Up_Time is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Start_Stop_Count is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Spin_Retry_Count is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Calibration_Retry_Count is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Power_Cycle_Count is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Reallocated_Sector_Ct is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Seek_Error_Rate is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Temperature_Celsius is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Reallocated_Event_Count is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Current_Pending_Sector is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Power_On_Hours is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Offline_Uncorrectable is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - UDMA_CRC_Error_Count is
9QJ0JPJS: OK - Multi_Zone_Error_Rate is 

The actual SMART output looks like this:

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdg (parity)

smartctl version 5.38 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
Device Model:     ST31000340AS
Serial Number:    9QJ0JPJS
Firmware Version: SX15
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4
Local Time is:    Mon Jan 26 07:42:13 2009 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
See vendor-specific Attribute list for marginal Attributes.

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82)	Offline data collection activity
				was completed without error.
				Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
				without error or no self-test has ever 
				been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		 ( 625) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
				Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
				Suspend Offline collection upon new
				command.
				Offline surface scan supported.
				Self-test supported.
				Conveyance Self-test supported.
				Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
				power-saving mode.
				Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
				General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 ( 219) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x103b)	SCT Status supported.
				SCT Feature Control supported.
				SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   117   099   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       155933054
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   091   084   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       427
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   070   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       11582645
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       4044
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       11
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       93
184 Unknown_Attribute       0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
188 Unknown_Attribute       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   074   043   045    Old_age   Always   In_the_past 26 (0 4 27 19)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   026   057   000    Old_age   Always       -       26 (0 16 0 0)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   036   024   000    Old_age   Always       -       155933054
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Aborted by host               50%      1233         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      1232         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Joe L.

I had the same thing happen last night...  I believe you are correct that it did not give the drive time to spin up.

I am not spinning up the drives manually, but allowing smarthistory to do it....  It looks like I'll need to do it manually before calling smarthistory.

New version will be posted today.

I had an idea.

Smartctl is called from a number of different user tools to get drive temperature and report drive health.  If you created an alternate smartctl that called the real one behind the scenes, you could read the output and use the opportunity to record the smart attributres for the drive.  That might be a good way to get more data points and not "waste" any smart output.  It would require no updates to any existing scripts or user instructions.  This would be an alternative / adjunct to the cron based method.

I could make a command line option "--passthrough" that would override everything, ignore the smarthistory configuration, update history data, and just return the smartctl results back.

The parameter after --passthrough would have to be the command line to pass to smartctl, like this

php smarthistory --passthrough "/dev/hda -a --nocheck=standby"

It would have to be a "fake" smartctl script that would take the command line to the script (which is the command line the user thinks is going to smartctl), package all the parameters into a quoted string, then call smarthistory as above.

Need to make it safe, and ensure that smarthistory is present and working, and if not, run smartctl directly.