Connection refused when accessing Transmission

Just some ideas:

Is the desktop a Windows machine? Is it on the same local network as tower?

Can you connect to the Transmission web interface at http://tower:9091 ?

Which version of Transmission Remote GUI are you using?

Have you looked in the Transmission Remote GUI menu -Torrent - Connect to Transmission - Manage Connections ?

Have you tried temporarily turning off the firewall on the desktop? Maybe even temporarily turning off any virus software to see if something is blocking.

Do you have another machine you can try to connect from?

I'm about out of ideas. The settings page says it is running. If you click on RUNNING it is supposed to take you to the transmission web interface. I guess you could try that and see if it thinks it is somewhere other than tower:9091

What about

ps aux | grep transmission

clicking running does not take me to the page. can i re install it without losing whats been downloaded partially?

If you add your torrents to a new install as long as the destination folder is the same it should pick up where it left off. It will verify the parts you already have and then resume. I have done this when I wanted to reseed as well. It verifies that I have the same files as the torrent then it starts seeding.

Look in the file you downloaded. If it starts with

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>

you have downloaded the web page that displays the contents of the plg file, not the plg file itself.

The plg starts with

<?xml version='1.0' standalone='yes'?>
<PLUGIN>

Go to Influencer's GitHub and scroll all the way to the bottom to the section labeled Downloads: and Right click and save link as

I just finished moving to a virtual machine to do my torrents. Once I got transmission installed and configured I just launched my .torrent files, which opened Transmission Remote GUI. Transmission found the downloaded files, verified them, and resumed my downloads/seeds. You just have to make sure to set the download folder correctly.