New server spec-out -- 'Megamind'

OK so in honor of the upcoming 6.0 release and Xen integration (and the fact that I've been noodling with this idea for years) I started shopping around for new hardware for a server I shall now dub Megamind.

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DR3-F-O

Processors: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2609

Memory: 4x Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600

Case: NORCO RPC-3216

Sata Controller (Optional): SASLP-MV8

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300

Approx Cost: $2700

Rationale: My purpose behind this server is to build a 'House Computer'. Obviously the starting point is unRAID, but I have several virtual servers running on a separate server for various extra services. I want to expand this to include virtualized XBMC/SteamOS machines as well.

I selected a dual socket motherboard because of the extra PCI-E lanes (3 x16 + 3 x8). This means I can install 3 or 4 video cards plus a saslp card.  (Spacing would get tight if I needed to go that far, so liquid cooling might be required)

The CPUs were selected as a tradeoff between performance and cost. This starts me at 8 2.5 GHz cores, and later when processors come down a bit in price I could get faster clocks or more cores. The memory is a starting point, there's room for plenty more.

I limited the case to 16 drives for 2 reasons. (This setup could easily exceed 20 drives) First my usage pattern doesn't absolutely require 20 drives, In 3 years I have only used 50% of my 12TB. Drives are growing faster than I can fill them. Second, using only the SAS connectors onboard and on my saslp card I use 16 ports.

The power supply is the challenge. I selected a PSU that could support 3 decent video cards and have power leftover for 16 drives and 2 CPUs

...More to come...

• 2 weeks later...

I would avoid EVGA power supplies, they've had less than great reviews at HardOCP and jonnyguru.  Enermax is probably your best bet for >1000W, they also have an AC cord retention clip that I'm sorely missing on my Seasonic unit.  I've accidentally unplugged my ESX setup a couple of times while wheeling my new case around.

http://www.enermaxusa.com/psu_emr1350ewt.php

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=349

That evga 1300w has great reviews from johnnyguru. I'd put it in my rig before an enermax.