XBMC 13 Gotham hits beta

Been looking forward to as well as dreading this new version as my skin I've been using for 3 or 4 years (Aeon MQ 2 and now Aeon MQ 3 which was very similar) is EOL and the newer versions the developer has put out are ridiculously over complex and convoluted. Almost makes me think he works for Microsoft how he took something that well done and totally screwed it up. So now comes the pain in the ass process of testing out new skins that suit my tastes.

Been looking forward to as well as dreading this new version as my skin I've been using for 3 or 4 years (Aeon MQ 2 and now Aeon MQ 3 which was very similar) is EOL and the newer versions the developer has put out are ridiculously over complex and convoluted. Almost makes me think he works for Microsoft how he took something that well done and totally screwed it up. So now comes the pain in the ass process of testing out new skins that suit my tastes.

If you want a great skin, check oput Artic Mk II.  It's in the WIP skins forum.  It's been my #1 skin for some time now.

Also Aeon Nox is fantastic. I moved from Aeon MQ3 to Nox and haven't looked back.

Aeon Nox is great. One of my favorite features is the customizable home screen. I have a tag set on all the kids movies, so I was able to create a main menu entry that only pulls those movies which makes it far easier to go through with my daughter.

Likely some other skins have this, but it's a great Nox feature (plus the skin looks great).

Likely some other skins have this, but it's a great Nox feature (plus the skin looks great).

Maybe I arrived late on the XBMC scene (started on Frodo), but every skin I've played (not that many I guess, a handful) with allows this.

Really? I don't think the default confluence does. I tried a couple of the other lightweight skins and they didn't have them either. To be honest, other than the few lightweight skins I tried for the Pi, Nox is the only other one I've used. I didn't realize this was common to many.

If you've played with several skins maybe you can answer a question for me. I had XBMC installed on a Win7 PC before I wiped it and replaced with OpenELEC. There was a great picture of a little cardboard character looking at a dandelion growing out of a rock. I am trying to find what skin this was out of as it was a great image for my daughter's movies, but I haven't had any luck.

If anyone knows what I am talking about and can help it would be appreciated. :)

Looks like Aeon Nox is the closest I'm going to get to MQ3. Not as good, nor as good looking, in my opinion but I guess there's nothing I can do and I'll have to live with it. Maybe I'll see if there's a way to hack MQ3 to get it to work with Gotham. The skinning engine doesn't appear to have any changes compared to Frodo so maybe there's a file in the skin where you can edit the version that's required so it'll run.

Does Gotham use a diffrent mysql version? Wondering if my mysql setup will transfer over for syncing my openelec boxes.

Looks like the DB version has changed, how would one update there existing mysql setup to the new version?

I don't think you do.  I believe you just make a backup of your existing database just in case and then when you upgrade xbmc it will automatically update your database.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm excited to see Gotham in action.

That's good news on the DB upgrade! That was my biggest concern with the new version. It took me awhile to get the mySQL db working properly between devices, so if the upgrade doesn't require a rebuild of the DB... Hurrah! :)

Hopefully it will finally fix the last 2 'bugs' that I experience.

1. DTS-HD Master audio drops out a few times a movie. Apparently this bug in AE is fixed in Gotham....

2. Retain GUI resolution settings on sleep. I've managed to get this working through custom advancedsettings etc., but it would be nice if the GUI res I set in the GUI stays the same on wake-up :). I haven't seem any mention of this being fixed (I believe it is much less common then the AE issue), but I'm hoping!

3D support looks cool too!... Though I suppose that means I will have to upgrade my projector to support it.... I guess my hands are tied! ;)

That's good news on the DB upgrade! That was my biggest concern with the new version. It took me awhile to get the mySQL db working properly between devices, so if the upgrade doesn't require a rebuild of the DB... Hurrah! :)

No no......I believe when you update xbmc, xbmc will update the database itself. So you do not need to update the database since xbmc is already doing it.

No no......I believe when you update xbmc, xbmc will update the database itself. So you do not need to update the database since xbmc is already doing it.

Excellent! :)

While I am trying not to turn Tom's forum into a remote branch of the XBMC and OpenELEC forums, those watching may like to know that OpenELEC have just provided their beta for download (OpenELEC 3.95.1).  I guess the technical discussion should take place over there.  ;)

Looks like Aeon Nox is the closest I'm going to get to MQ3. Not as good, nor as good looking, in my opinion but I guess there's nothing I can do and I'll have to live with it. Maybe I'll see if there's a way to hack MQ3 to get it to work with Gotham. The skinning engine doesn't appear to have any changes compared to Frodo so maybe there's a file in the skin where you can edit the version that's required so it'll run.

For anyone interested I figured out simply editing the xbmc.gui version requirement in the skin's addon.xml file from "4.0.0" (Frodo) to "5.0.1" (Gotham) allows the skin to continue working. Tested it by installing the skin under 12.3 on a test system, then upgrading to 13b1 and making that edit before the first time XBMC is run after the upgrade. Then I ran XBMC and the skin was still enabled and working.