30 Drive PC-232 Build

I'm about to embark on my first unRAID build to replace a bunch of Synology, QNAP and Drobo NAS I have lying about.

This is for my city apartment so severe space restrictions mean I can't go rackmount (I only have 35 sq m!). I'll be looking at a rackmount setup for my mirror unit at my place in the country later in the year.

I'm leaning towards the Lian-Li PC-232 as it's the only pedestal case I can find that could feasibly fit 30 drives in hot-swap bays. I'm open to other suggestions if they exist.

I'm also looking at the AOC-SASLP-MV8 as I've used it before as a controller on a couple of non unRAID builds.

Have to following hardware lying about:

21 x 4TB HDDs

~15 assorted HDDs from 500GB to 3TB

Seasonic X-1250 1250W PSU - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00607JLWU/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Intel Core i7 4771

Corsair H80i CPU cooler

64GB of DDR3 RAM (8x8GB)

Lots of SSDs (Including some caching optimized ones)

Lots of server grade NICs

Lots of good fans etc...

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions, in particular for the motherboard and for 5 in 3 SATA hot-swap bays.

I'm going to be using this mainly for bulk storage with sickbeard/chouchpotato/headphones and a fairly popular (among my friends) Plex Server.

I'll probably be splitting the drives between this box and the backup unit (probably going to be a cheap rackmount with a Pentium G3220).

I'd also like IPMI if possible.

Who has 21 4tb drives just laying around?  ;)

Well they are mostly in the existing NAS so I'll have to switch them to the unRAID box as I empty the NAS.

At the moment I have all the high capacity drives in the city apartment. I'm probably going to buy one more 4TB to even out the numbers and then split them between the two locations.

I'm looking at a Pentium G3220 for the country location as it only needs to run at max one Plex 1080p transcode at a time.

actually you can go with rack mounts if you have an IKEA close by :-)

"http://makezine.com/2010/01/22/lackrack-ikea-server-racks-for-livi/"

you can fit 2 4U chassis in there + a switch.

with a little crafty meddling you  can close up the sides with some mesh to hide the wires.

on top of all else you get a very nice journal table

I already have a couple of lackracks (with wheels!). I'm just not sure I can fit the lackrack..... though it is worth some thought.... would make things easier and cheaper.

I'll need to at least get rid of a coffee table to physically fit it in the apartment.

In my country place I have a full APC 48U rack so rackmount isn't a problem there.

Anyone know where I can get Norco cases in Europe?

Thanks prostuff1.

OK, So here's my new plan:

Primary:

Case: X-CASE RM 424 PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7 4771

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10SAT-O

Controllers: 3 x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

PSU: Seasonic X-1250 1250W PSU

NIC: Intel X520-T2 Dual 10-Gigabit Server Adapter

OS Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB

Cache Drive: OCZ IBIS HDSL SSD 240GB

Storage Drives: 11 x 4TB Seagate Hybrid, 3 x 3TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Assorted, 4 x 500GB Hitachi

Backup (And Sat>IP Server):

Case: X-CASE RM 424 PRO

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220

Motherboard: ?

Controllers: 3 x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1000W

NIC: Intel T2 Dual Gigabit Server Adapter

OS Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB

Cache Drive: OCZ Synapse Cache SSD 128GB

Storage Drives: 11 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 3TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Assorted, 4 x 500GB Hitachi

Tuner: TBS 6985 Quad DVB-S2 - http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6985-dvb-s2-quad-tuner-pcie-card.html

Is it possible to use more than one drive for cache (e.g. ZFS ZLOG and L2ARC)?