AMD Motherboard

Good call JK!

I pulled a mirrored disk off my main machine (knocking on wood) and threw it in the unRaid server...

57,000 - 65,000Kbs

w00t~

now...i just need to put the IDE drives back in and see if they give me the same problems as before...

-james

Add: Well it looks  like the IDE drivers are not there....adding the two IDE drives drops the parity speed back to 1,300-1,500Kbs

looks like it wants to be a SATA only machine...

Just to leave a trail of (hopefully) useful information to those brave souls who wander in here...

Bummed from not being able to use those IDE drives laying around...i wandered over to newegg and bought this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822998008

attaching to the SATA connection and my old IDE drive...

unRAID booted up and is currently doing it's parity synch @ > 60,000kbs

-james

• 1 month later...

@jknight

I got the Gigabyte GA-M51gm-S2G as well. It works well with SATA drives. But I've some serious trouble to get my IDE drives to clear in a decent time. Clearing takes forever (1% in an hour.....)  :(

Do you have any IDE drives connected to your Gigabyte Board?

I tried three different drives so far:

Seagate Barracuda 320 GB

Seagate Barracuda 250 GB

Samsung 160 GB

All work well in my other PCs.

I tried different cables, different settings (Master, cable select, slave) no difference.....

It seems that there is a problem with the IDE channels for this board as well....

BTW: I'm using 3.1 Beta2 in pro version

Hi from Switzerland, Thorsten

Thanks for your reply jknight!

If Tom doesn't get it to work, I'll probably use the Promise IDE Controller (Promise Ultra100/133 TX2 [PDC20268]) which is already supported by UnRAID.

But still I hope for a direct solution for the Gigabyte board. It seems to be ideal with the possibility to connect 4 IDE drives and 4 SATA drives right away.....

Thorsten

• 3 weeks later...

Hi owners of AMD mobos

Since I didn't get any response from Tom, I added a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 PCI IDE controller card.

I got it cheap in switzerland. It works fine so far. ;D No more waiting and trying to solve the nforce4 issue.

My advise ist so far:

If you need to add PATA drives to your array and you have the nforce4 chipset on your mobo, don't hesitate to get a Promise controller.

Greets from switzerland,

Thorsten