afpd errors in logs - Anything to worry about?

Not sure what this is all about, but I noticed a lot of errors in the logs for afpd.  This is how the block looks and it repeats every so often:

Mar 22 06:05:16 Tower afpd[11047]: acl = acl_get_file(path, ACL_TYPE_ACCESS) failed: No such file or directory

Mar 22 06:05:16 Tower afpd[11047]: posix_acls_to_uaperms(path, st, ma) failed: No such file or directory

Mar 22 06:05:16 Tower afpd[11047]: acl = acl_get_file(path, ACL_TYPE_ACCESS) failed: No such file or directory

Mar 22 06:05:16 Tower afpd[11047]: posix_acls_to_uaperms(path, st, ma) failed: No such file or directory

Absolutely no idea what it's looking for though.  I see this block of errors after the mover finishes, after drive spin down, and after cache dirs does it's thing.  Ideas?

1. This is NOT TimeMachine correct? You have copied or written "regular" files (movies, tunes, datafiles) to the unRAID box and they're going to your cache drive?

2. Run the Permissions fix script on the unRAID array. Its in the GUI.

3. Run Disk Utility on your Mac and do the permissions fix on the drive that has the original files.

4. If the problem persists, have you done something inadvertent to your Mac's 'users'? For example, have you changed your username on the Mac when upgrading to Mavericks? Do you have some other user's files?

You're on unRAID 5.0.5, right?

1. This is NOT TimeMachine correct? You have copied or written "regular" files (movies, tunes, datafiles) to the unRAID box and they're going to your cache drive?

2. Run the Permissions fix script on the unRAID array. Its in the GUI.

3. Run Disk Utility on your Mac and do the permissions fix on the drive that has the original files.

4. If the problem persists, have you done something inadvertent to your Mac's 'users'? For example, have you changed your username on the Mac when upgrading to Mavericks? Do you have some other user's files?

You're on unRAID 5.0.5, right?

1. No, not time machine. Yes and yes.

2. My wife is currently watching a movie from he server. Can I run it while a file is streaming?

3. Can't do this currently. I'm rebuilding that drive array for more space which was the reason to build this server for backup.

4. It's totally possible I screwed something up. At first I thought I should set my shares secure and did that, but than I thought at was stupid.  No need to secure anything so I made them public. I think my Mini is still connecting with a user I setup, but it's connecting ok. No Mavericks for me just yet.

Yes, version 5.0.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ran the permissions script.  Not sure it corrected the issue just yet, but now this has me thinking.  It looks like all the files/folders should be owned by nobody/users.  Well, how the heck do you prevent files/folders getting created with whatever the local user of the Mac is?  Cause if the share is public the Mac connects up as "guest", but I don't know if that translates down to nobody/users on the network.

I may likely start using SMB for most things anyway, except for Time Machine which I haven't setup/tested yet.  I'm just so used to everything being AFP I automatically gravitate to it.  Even with that, I don't know how to prevent weird permissions issues from occurring if files end up getting created by a different user.

Yeah...as Apple started moving from 10.6->.7->8 and laying the groundwork for SMB, they also made a bunch of changes to the Security Model. If I recall, users (even with permission) can't change GROUP permissions (or something like that. I'll see if I can find the discussion again). As a consequence, if you have files created by different 'mac users', the permission flags seem very hard to fix. ( The situation for me arose because I changed my login name, or setup a new account in Mavericks as a new install, then and tried to move my old files over from my Lion disk.)

I use SMB for EVERYTHING Mac, EXCEPT TimeMachine...there are threads suggesting that the iTUNES music library prefers AFP, but I can't confirm that.

Unfortunately the errors persist and show up when the drives spin down and cache_dirs runs. Makes no sense, but it doesn't seem to be causing issues that I can see.

I'll switch it over to SMB today. What do I need to do to keep permissions straight using SMB? Anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had mixed success on fixing unRAID permissions for files whose permissions were originally screwed up on the source Mac.

I wish I could tell you what was successful, but I've not done it enough to be sure I have a repeatable fix.

I'd suggest continuing to run the unRAID Permissions script when the problem recurs, and the Disk Utility Fix Permissions. (unfortunately the latter seems to only fix OS file permissions, and not user document permissions. The latter must be found and fixed 'by hand'. Seems like if you find the folder the files are in, there's a way in GET INFO to force permission changes to propagate down to all the contained files and folders...maybe an option key setting used on the info window's permission settings?)

I also use a Mac tool called 'file buddy' to try to fix all the broken permissions on my Mac, (they tend to be in the 'documents' that I've moved over from other userids...and there's an advance file info setting capability in FileBuddy that seems to work.)