[Solved ] Do I have a bad hard drive that needs replacement? (Yes I did)

Is my disk5 bad? Do I need to replace the hard drive? I can transfer files over but it has inconsistent speeds.

Also, I'm running unRaid 4.5.3, what's the benefit of upgrading to the newest version? It's been a long time since I've looked at the forums, but thanks for any help.

Mediatower.jpg

Is my disk5 bad? Do I need to replace the hard drive? I can transfer files over but it has inconsistent speeds.

As always, please obtain a copy of your syslog (see Capturing your syslog), preferably the one that covers the session with all the errors.  Then obtain a SMART report for Disk 5 (see Obtain a SMART report).  Zip them and attach the zip file here.

We cannot say if the drive is bad or not, without seeing these reports.  It's almost as likely to be an interface problem to the drive as it is to be a bad drive.

Also, I'm running unRaid 4.5.3, what's the benefit of upgrading to the newest version? It's been a long time since I've looked at the forums, but thanks for any help.

See the Release Notes.  There are numerous bug fixes, new features, and performance improvements since your version.  I strongly recommend upgrading ASAP.  You will need to upgrade first to v4.7, then make sure it's working fine with no HPA's on any drives, then upgrade to the current one, v5.0.5 at this time.

First, thanks for fixing the DHCP lease time (30 seconds)!  That was flooding the syslog, so only the latest part is available.

Syslog shows a number of bad sectors in multiple almost equal size regions, so yes the drive may be failing.  My guess is a head has failed.  The SMART report should show numerous Pending sectors, but I suspect will also show something mechanical is seriously wrong.

I'm not exactly sure how to obtain a smart report. I tried following the wiki but it doesn't seem like I'm doing it right.

So I figured out my harddrive name is sdc and I'm guessing I have one of the newer sata controllers (I built this server in 2010)?

Do I type in the console:

1. smartctl -a -A /dev/sdc

2. smartctl -a -A /dev/sdc | todos >/boot/smart.txt

OR do I type in the console:

1. smartctl -t short /dev/sdc

2. smartctl -a -A /dev/sdc

3. smartctl -a -A /dev/sdc | todos >/boot/smart.txt

Afterwards, I will shut down my server, pull out my flash drive and upload the smart report?

It's been awhile since I bought a hard drive for this server. What 2tb harddrive do you guys recommend?

Does this WD Desktop Mainstream 2TB look decent:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415197/Desktop_Mainstream_2TB_Intellipower_SATA_60Gb-s_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_WDBH2D0020HNC-NRSN

Or should I spend a little more to get a WD red?:

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395876321&sr=1-2&keywords=WD+red

I remember back in the day that seagates were having quality control issues, is that the same case? Are hitachi HD good drives? Thanks for all the help.

From your SMART report:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   041   041   140    Pre-fail  Always   FAILING_NOW 1265
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       829
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   191   191   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1833

the above lines are of great concern.  It's actually rather rare that we get to see a report with the "FAILING_NOW" state set, usually we see them with far fewer errors and rarely see them with more probably because by the time the a drive gets to this point it rapidly fails...

Given that Current_Pending_Sector is zero I think your drive has successfully remapped all the bad sectors it has found (though I'm not certain that none of your data has been corrupted).  But as the Reallocated_Sector_Ct is so high there might not be many spare sectors left in case further bad spots develop.

Certainly WD will RMA this drive (if it is still in warranty), I've done RMAs with them on drives with far less badness.

One further note of caution, the one WD drive I have had that showed a significant value for Multi_Zone_Error_Rate failed completely after another 50 hours of heavy use.

Copy your data of this drive as soon as you can and then replace it.

Regards,

Stephen