Unofficial Faster Preclear

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 0:44 PM, RobJ said:

There's one more change to make.  Use the expanded sed command in this post.

I haven't tried using this script since upgrading to v6.3

Whatever was contained in the above referenced post is now gone.  I see this happen in a lot of the older threads around here. 

If anyone could detail the necessary steps to take to make the script contained in the 2014-10-15 FastPreclear_FIX.zip in post 1 of this thread work in unRAID v6.3.x I'd be much obliged.

Else can/should I simply use the one referenced in post 1 of the Preclear plugin thread?

Just to be 'clear' I do NOT want to use the preclear plugin itself.  Last time I tried that it wasted 3 days of my time and still seems hopelessly broken.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by dabl
15 minutes ago, dlandon said:

The preclear plugin is working better now.  Give it a try.

So, I see your post in the plugin thread indicating that when you stop the array messages occur every second in your log, presumably due to problems with the plugin?

32 minutes ago, dabl said:

So, I see your post in the plugin thread indicating that when you stop the array messages occur every second in your log, presumably due to problems with the plugin?

Normally you don't stop the array.  It doesn't happen unless the array is stopped.

• 6 months later...

I want to use the fast preclear with the preclear plugin in unraid 6.4 but I am not sure where in the flash drive do I move the file contents in the zip.  Also, what do I name the file?

I follwed the insructions in the readme.txt but it still doesn't show up in the dropdown box as an option in the preclear plugin.

Edited by fonzie
16 hours ago, fonzie said:

I want to use the fast preclear with the preclear plugin in unraid 6.4 but I am not sure where in the flash drive do I move the file contents in the zip.  Also, what do I name the file?

I follwed the insructions in the readme.txt but it still doesn't show up in the dropdown box as an option in the preclear plugin.

@gfjardim has more or less taken over support for the plugin and script. He would be best to answer this question.

• 3 months later...

Heads up guys, this script (faster preclear by bjp666) also now needs patching due to 'scripts' command not included in unraid 6.5.1 (yes this is getting ugly), ive patched my own copy with a replacement of 'strings' (2 occurrences) with 'cat -v' which is actually a lot faster.

i have a copy of the fast preclear script, patched for sfdisk, dd and strings, so it SHOULD (not tested) be compatible with unraid 6.5.1 now, if anybody wants to give it a whirl feel free, but as i mentioned it is currently untested (plan to do some testing in the next few days).

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/scripts/master/shell/unraid/system/preclear_bjp.sh

Please keep in mind this is probably not as refined as gfjardim's preclear plugin and script (see here) so i would advise people to use his script over this - having said that any results using this patched version (good or bad) are welcome.

Edited by binhex
  • Like 1
On 4/30/2018 at 6:14 PM, binhex said:

Heads up guys, this script (faster preclear by bjp666) also now needs patching due to 'scripts' command not included in unraid 6.5.1 (yes this is getting ugly), ive patched my own copy with a replacement of 'strings' (2 occurrences) with 'cat -v' which is actually a lot faster.

i have a copy of the fast preclear script, patched for sfdisk, dd and strings, so it SHOULD (not tested) be compatible with unraid 6.5.1 now, if anybody wants to give it a whirl feel free, but as i mentioned it is currently untested (plan to do some testing in the next few days).

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/scripts/master/shell/unraid/system/preclear_bjp.sh

Please keep in mind this is probably not as refined as gfjardim's preclear plugin and script (see here) so i would advise people to use his script over this - having said that any results using this patched version (good or bad) are welcome.

Preclear succesful!

• Like 1
On 4/30/2018 at 7:14 PM, binhex said:

BTW, I tried to start preclearing a second disk and noticed that I do not get the option for faster post-read (as this post mentions):

image.thumb.png.af650ff5b9c3f760fc09f5c20f8d20b1.png

Edited by papnikol

3 minutes ago, papnikol said:

BTW, I tried to start preclearing a second disk and noticed that I do not get the option for faster post-read:

So the script has been fixed to work with unraid 6.5.1, however this does not mean its compatible with the unraid preclear plugin, thus you may get issues with the plugin, thats why i recommend switching to gfjardim's plugin and script once he has fixed it up.

2 minutes ago, binhex said:

So the script has been fixed to work with unraid 6.5.1, however this does not mean its compatible with the unraid preclear plugin, thus you may get issues with the plugin, thats why i recommend switching to gfjardim's plugin and script once he has fixed it up.

got it, I will try it from shell. Just FYI, I noticed that the option is not available with the unpatched faster preclear script too.

On 4/30/2018 at 6:28 PM, binhex said:

Edit2 - Decided not to muddy the water any more, if anybody wants to try the older bjp999 faster preclear script patched for unraid v6.5.1 (not tested at present) then please go here, any responses please keep them in that thread not this one.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/30921-unofficial-faster-preclear/?do=findComment&comment=654712

I know that gfjardim posted a fixed preclear version, but just FYI, preclear of an 8tb Seagate archive finshed succesfully with your patched preclear script (thanks). It took some time...:

Preclear Successful
... Total time 79:25:21
... Pre-Read time 20:32:06 (108 MB/s)
... Zeroing time 16:59:41 (130 MB/s)
... Post-Read time 41:51:29 (53 MB/s) 

... but that's partly due to the fact the particular array is slow (also, I used the script with the GUI plugin and I think the faster post-read option was not used).

I am preclearing an 8TB WD red NAS in another (faster) array, using the faster post-read option, and it is going faster (37hrs in, it is at 36% post-read).

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 4/30/2018 at 9:14 AM, binhex said:

Thanks for this! Just a small tweak, I believe line 75 (starting with 'patch') should be commented out, as the line below that is.  Currently it attempts to call the patch command, which gives an error.  The script continues to execute correctly, so this is definitely a minor issue.

13 hours ago, abirkill said:

Thanks for this! Just a small tweak, I believe line 75 (starting with 'patch') should be commented out, as the line below that is.  Currently it attempts to call the patch command, which gives an error.  The script continues to execute correctly, so this is definitely a minor issue.

Thanks for this, not sure how those rogue lines got in there but they ae in the history already, removed and bumped version to 1.17, this is the ONLY change. 

Note to all users -  i am NOT enhancing this script other than trying to ensure its compatible with the latest version of unraid, stability is the name of the game here, i just want it to work, i am not concerned with speed or efficiency.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I upgraded the preclear plugin recently and I'm currently running the plugin on an 8TB Seagate drive pulled from a Back-Up Plus external enclosure.  The pre-read process took about 14 hours, which is about normal for the size drive in my setup.  The zeroing process was at about 10.5 MB/s when it started the process and then slowed to about 9 MB/s.  Right now the process is at 91% and it's been running for over 218 hours.  I saw another thread on how to replace the current script with the 2018.05.03 version which is supposed to run much faster.  I've precleared the exact same drives before and never had a problem until upgrading to the latest plugin.  I'm going to let the current preclear run to completion.  I figure it should finish the zeroing process in another 23 hours, give or take, and then run the post-read process.  If I don't have any luck using that older plugin on another drive I have waiting then I'll probably give this one a try.

Edited by captain_video