unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta4-x86_64 Available

A couple of observations.

• I had a bluray drive plugged into my test box and 6.0b4 wouldn't load in plain or Xen.

• I have only added a cache drive to my array of the test box so far to have a play with VM's but cannot start the array as no other disks added.

Care to elaborate?  Maybe a syslog?

I'll plug the Bluray DVD drive back in to try to get some more detail but it stalled while loading, same place for both standard and Xen.

If I go to Extensions - Xen domains it states "array must be started to view domains" but in Main - I have no option to start the array because only a cache drive is added.

Image added of screen shot.

What is the point of running Unraid with just a cache drive?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I had a bluray drive plugged into my test box and 6.0b4 wouldn't load in plain or Xen.

I'll plug the Bluray DVD drive back in to try to get some more detail but it stalled while loading, same place for both standard and Xen.

I have never seen so many SATA error flags raised, not even close!  I'm not sure there are any left that that drive did not raise.  First, try checking the cable connections to it, then try it in another machine, and find out if it is working at all.

I have never seen so many SATA error flags raised, not even close!  I'm not sure there are any left that that drive did not raise.  First, try checking the cable connections to it, then try it in another machine, and find out if it is working at all.

It works fine in another machine.

It works fine in another machine.

The CDROM/BDROM support in the linux kernel was just added in -beta4 per customer request and I haven't tested it at all (obviously) - looks like it needs more attention.

I currently use AFP for Time Machine with a Cache disk. When either of my macs do a backup it causes my parity drive and a data drive to spin up. I can see the backup spindle created on the cache disk. My Time Machine  share settings are set to Cache - Yes

If i disable AFP the  my Parity only spins up with mover is running.

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?

The CDROM/BDROM support in the linux kernel was just added in -beta4 per customer request and I haven't tested it at all (obviously) - looks like it needs more attention.

Should have known this before and I was not the only one looking for a solution:

Does the DVD drive show up under /dev at the Linux level?    If so I would have thought you could pass it through using type phy: instead of file: in the configuration file and using the /dev name?

Now, what is best practice to pass the drive through? Whenever I'm passing through the whole (separate) controller (where only the BDROM is attached), the Windows VM isn't starting anymore. See here:

Reply #7: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32344.0

With Beta4 (and not having xen-pciback.hide=(03:00.0) included in syslinux.cfg) I do see /dev/sr0 but by using

phy:/dev/sr0,hdc:cdrom,w

in my windows.cfg the BDROM is showing up but is not even showing the content of a DVD.

Hi Tom, ive been playing with xenman to register my arch vm in unraid v6b4, ive noticed that once a vm is registered its generating copies of the xen cfg files and of the newly generated README.md in the folder where the xen config file resides. the copies have a "-" appended to the end of the filename, any reason for this?.

once a vm is registered its generating copies of the xen cfg files and of the newly generated README.md in the folder where the xen config file resides. the copies have a "-" appended to the end of the filename, any reason for this?.

Aren't they the pre-edit copies made by the editor?

once a vm is registered its generating copies of the xen cfg files and of the newly generated README.md in the folder where the xen config file resides. the copies have a "-" appended to the end of the filename, any reason for this?.

Aren't they the pre-edit copies made by the editor?

well i guess they might be saved "original" copies, but what about the README.md file, why is it creating a duplicate version of a file its just created (README.md did not exist previously to running xenman).

just a short question. i seem to remember a while back a discussion about the option of a second parity disk and quite some interest in this option.

will this be actually become reality in v6?

i know it's not one of the most pressing issues, but i have to admit i wouldn't mind if it becomes an available option rather sooner than later.

cheers, L

Another quick question. Is btrfs/mirrored cache on the roadmap? As this feature would be particularly relevant in combination with Xen - since files are living on the cache disk.

No pressure, just interested to hear how it fits into the big jigsaw puzzle :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Having a problem booting with Xen.  On one of my machines 5.0.5 has been running fine.  I decided to upgrade to this release.  Whenever I boot with the Xen/unraid OS option, the boot hangs on Loading /bzroot (after 3 dots if that matters).  The hardware in use is one of the TAMS solution boxes with an upgraded AMD 2423 HE chip, H8DME-2 motherboard, and 8 GB of RAM.  I can boot to Unraid 6 fine as long as I don't select the Xen option.  I also tried pinning one CPU to dom0 since that was required on one of my other machines, but that didn't seem to help.

I looked in the BIOS and don't see anything about virtualization (I belivee it's a case of the chips supporting AMD-V, but the motherboard doesn't, which doesn't matter to me since I don't need hard ware pass through).  The only thing I see is something about a Secure Virtual Machine, which is either enabled or disabled (I've tried both and no change in behavior). 

Any suggestions or things to look for to get this working?

Having a problem booting with Xen.  On one of my machines 5.0.5 has been running fine.  I decided to upgrade to this release.  Whenever I boot with the Xen/unraid OS option, the boot hangs on Loading /bzroot (after 3 dots if that matters).  The hardware in use is one of the TAMS solution boxes with an upgraded AMD 2423 HE chip, H8DME-2 motherboard, and 8 GB of RAM.  I can boot to Unraid 6 fine as long as I don't select the Xen option.  I also tried pinning one CPU to dom0 since that was required on one of my other machines, but that didn't seem to help.

I looked in the BIOS and don't see anything about virtualization (I belivee it's a case of the chips supporting AMD-V, but the motherboard doesn't, which doesn't matter to me since I don't need hard ware pass through).  The only thing I see is something about a Secure Virtual Machine, which is either enabled or disabled (I've tried both and no change in behavior). 

Any suggestions or things to look for to get this working?

Have you upgraded the bios on that mobo? I'm running the same H8DME-2 and Xen is working like a champ for me. I just put in two 2419EE chips and 16GB more ram but before all that I upgraded the bios. Also might try resetting to defaults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, I updated the chip to a single 2423 (6 core GHz) which required the update, what version did you update the bios to, and did you have to make any bios config changes?  My bios shows as revision 8.14 in the system info/ more info window.  Perhaps you could pm me your bios settings so I can compare?

I did, I updated the chip to a single 2423 (6 core GHz) which required the update, what version did you update the bios to, and did you have to make any bios config changes?  My bios shows as revision 8.14 in the system info/ more info window.  Perhaps you could pm me your bios settings so I can compare?

I had to go broke through all the bios settings since they all reset but I don't remember setting anything special. Although I did have to mark the USB as the first hard drive for me to be able to set it to bootable. Which was weird. But if you're getting the unraid selection screen then you're good there. Did you say you are starting grime a fresh install on USB? I started with a brand new USB format and only copied my license over.

I'm not near my server right now :/

EDIT: I would also try a new USB stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reset settings (I did optimal, then set boot order for unraid) got it booting.  The only things I see that were changed were the OS listed was changed from Linux to other, and it reset the fans from te workstation setup to server.  I wouldn't expect either to make a difference, although the is setting could have some impact since it mentions in iommu that it is used for Linux systems.

Ok I am at a loss,

is the new web GUI preinstalled or do we have to run a command or press a button???

Been looking at the github but truly don't understand what to do and if I run the command in that thread it fails.

Thank you

Here's how it works.  When a "release" is generated it will include versions of the "built-in" plugins that exist at the time of the release.  For example, release 6.0-beta4 includes:

webGui - version 2014.03.28

indexer - version 2014.03.28

vendor - version 2014.03.28

sysinfo - version 2014.03.28

plgMan - version 2014.03.28

xenMan - version 2014.03.28

A release is the large zip file that includes bzimage, bzroot, etc. - everything to install to a USB flash device.

After a release has been generated, we may make changes to the built-in plugins.  For example, before releasing 6.0-beta5, we might release a fix that goes into the 'plgMan' plugin.  Let say this fix went in today - in that case we would push a version 2014.04.03 version of "plgMan" to github.  Now anyone running -beta4 could go to the Extensions/Plugin page, click "check", or "check all" and notice there is a new version of plgMan available.  Subsequently there would be an "update" link that would download and install the new version.

Eventually we will generate a new "release", say 6.0-beta5.  When we generate the release we will include the latest version of all the plugins.  When you download and install the new release, the plugin system will see that the "current" version of plgMan (in our example) is newer than the what you downloaded earlier, hence it will not re-install the downloaded plugin.

This system lets us issue fixes to plugins independent of full releases.  Make sense?

Makes sense. Could we handle more than one release of the same plugin in one day with that scheme i.e. oh sh*t thats not right better fix that :)

One might assume [if the logic of the version checker works this way]:

version 2014.03.28 < version 2014.04.03 < version 2014.04.03.xx

but then that might make an '*ss' out of 'u' and 'me'. I don't like to make too many assumptions.

cheers,

gwl

Hello All...

I hope this is not an out of line question.  Is anyone running this 6.0.4beta in their production servers or just on the test servers.

I was thinking of putting together another server box and starting from scratch with this beta. 

Best Regards,

Jim