Silverstone DS380 / ASRock C2550D4I Build

Here's how I have mine set up too.

I have my parity drive on the intel sata III first port, then 2nd port empty.  I have a 2TB Seagate on intel sata II  and a 500 GB 2.5" on intel sata II.  I then have 2 WD 2TB sata3 on the first 2 marvel ports then 120 GB sata3 SSD, 60 GB sata3 SSD and the last port is where I moved the finicky WD 2TB sata II drive.

For unraid I run 6b4 with xen and 2GB memory and 14 GB left for VMs.  I have 2 corsair 4GB 1600 and 2 samsung 4GB 1600 all non ecc

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started a parity check, I have 3 VMs going also and tv running off the  mythbuntu vm in a couple rooms. I don't get any freezing when refresh or switching between tabs.  Or any more errors since I bought the latest cables. . My last reboot was April 3.  Are you just getting the frozen errors from log3 now or still those nasty looking ones from log2.  The frozen errors I believe can be remedied by move those 2 drives to different controllers or maybe different cables. Also I know you said you were going to turn off the aggressive link but did you turn it off on all controllers. I think it is in two different locations in the bios and hotswap too.  I would even try turning off s.m.a.r.t.  I don't have any cables really running on top of each other either.

Four drives on one controller shouldn't be causing link resets. It's also happening regardless of SATA cables.

I think it has something to do with the intense writing/reading during the sync, rather than just a check. It's a weird one.

I'll let this sync complete and see if it happens during a parity check. I'm narrowing it down!

Ok I thought check instead of seeing sync. It shouldn't be that sensitive though. I haven't done a parity sync but have moved hundreds of GB between drives, with sabnzbd downloading and decoding and the livetv buffer for multiple channels + recording.  Alot of times several of these going on at once. I worry when my Silverstone power supply (hopefully) arrives tomorrow that I will jinx my no frozen zone and get errors again. Like I said too I have one drive that will absolutly always give frozen errors on the intel sata ii controller. 

When I had it in the Lian Li I was able to get to a no error state by swapping out cables of the affected drives until I found one the worked.  At least in this case I can easily just swap it to another spot.

Ditto.  I was planning on building a DS380/AsRock C2550D4I system with 8 5TB WD Reds as soon as they're released ... but will likely hold off on that a bit until this board has matured somewhat.  I suspect the issues will be resolved via BIOS updates within a few months (hopefully sooner).

I like the pictures but not their take on cable management and the fact they jam it full of a humongous cpu cooler. I think they kinda short changed it by running the fans so slow and blocking alot of the air flow. There is plenty of room to hide cables to keep them out of the air flow. Sata cables can go directly behind the backplane, behind the power supply and above and below the rear fan. Extra power cables can be tucked above the drive cages. I wrapped the intake fan cables around the fans once and routed all front cables around the edges of those fans not wrapped in a big ball on the atx power cable.

thats the first close up of the cage's side ive seen.  restrictive doesnt even begin to cover it.  i dont like those drive temps one bit.  one drive didnt even change temps at any fan speed.  and i didnt realize they made a cut out for a long video card... what the heck???  so for sure add a fam controller, and possibly new fans, to the price.  and an (expensive?) modular small power supply.  has me considering passing on the case until version 2, or another mfg tries to compete with it :(

personally i'd run the rear fan faster to remove the air brought in from the two side fans.  and i hate cases that dont allow the ps fan to face the inside to help remove heat.  seems pointless.

i do like that the scythe heatsink fits; its one of my favorites and, coincidentally, what im using now in my current tower.

definitely looking forward to more build posts and reviews before i buy one.

To those following this train wreck, here is what I posted in my support thread:

To add some more datapoints: It happens during a parity check as well. Pretty much any parity operation with reads or writes combined with menu activity causes sata resets. I tried Dynamix and it freezes sata links on every page load versus the more intermittent limetech webgui.

Is it something with the SMART queries during high use operations?

These are the controllers giving me issues:

Marvell SE9172: 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s - Marvell SE9230: 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s

I'll try menu presses during a protected write next to see if a less intense I/O operation causes the sata resets.

I had some problems with drives dropping off the first couple days but bios settings fixed that.  The other problem was sata errors but new cables fixed that. I would not  recommend the board given those issues.

@Jomp if your stuck with the board anyway and can't get the frozen errors to stop with the cables you have. For you a few more $ you could try the ones that worked for me from microcenter. I know it's silly to have to go through all the trouble but that was the only way I could ever get rid of the errors even before these cables was to swap out the offending drive's cable till it worked.  But I still have one drive that doesn't like the Intel sata2 controller but likes marvell.

Even more telling is Google Marvell sata errors vs Intel.

No I couldn't. But I also am very happy with it too.  Jomp hasn't been able to fix his issues yet. If your waiting for a bios fix it could be a long wait.  But if you want to take a chance it might work for you. In past I would rarely check my server logs but now I check them constantly.

Really wish these boards will get fixed shortly / as BIOS matures as I would eventually like to replace my chosen MB, CPU, Heatsink, SAS card, and RAM for the 8 core version and adding an ATI GPU so that my setup would be as I originally envisioned virtualizing both the Plex Server and Plex Home Theater client. 

Edit: Just read no Vt-d on Avoton. What a shame. Would have been perfect.

Edit2: Think I found my next attempt: ASRock E3C224D4I-14S

Edit3: And the ports are on the extended portion / longer side of the motherboard which wouldn't fit in the case. I give up.

Edit2: Think I found my next attempt: ASRock E3C224D4I-14S

Edit3: And the ports are on the extended portion / longer side of the motherboard which wouldn't fit in the case. I give up.

The DS380 specifications indicates it will work with DTX boards.  The E3C224D4I-14S is well within the 9.6" max width spec for DTX (it's 8.4" wide).    In addition, it looks like the mini-SAS connectors are just ahead of the 2 SATA connectors ... NOT on the extended portion of the board.

Why don't you think this board would work ??

Gary: "the" should have been "my"; had all the connectors (Ethernet ports, VGA...) been on the 6.7 inch side of the extended mITX board, it would have worked beautifully in my U-NAS case. Really wanted the ability to passthrough graphics and keep the extremely compact form factor of the U-NAS.

Updates!  ;)

So today I'm moving the drives over to the Intel chipset which doesn't appear to have the SMART bug. Since it's an 8 bay case and only 6 SATA ports are on the Intel chipset, I'll still have 2 drives on the problematic Marvell chipset. I've found that if I delete smartctl on boot up, I have no SATA reset problems, since the drives aren't being polled for SMART data by the GUI. I'm going to put smartctl on my flash drive and run it from the console only when the drives have no I/O activity. Not ideal, but a workaround none the less! I submitted a tech support request detailing my findings to ASRock, but since they don't use a ticket system, I don't know if they got it/are working on it, and I also can't add my information about it occurring on other operating systems as well.

Overall, a really frustrating problem. The board itself has great performance, ECC, IPMI, 12 SATA ports, but the silly SMART problem prevents me from fully recommending it for Unraid use until (hopefully) a BIOS update comes along to fix the problem. Thankfully all my files are MD5 hashed, so I'll be keeping a close eye over everything in the coming months. I'll get some power readings after I get all 8 drives installed over the next week, since that was requested. 

Was s.m.a.r.t. on in the bios? Also did you try reflashing the bios ever. You never know.  I skimmed back through the thread but which drives do you have.  I'm gonna get a new 4TB parity today and worried a little.

I tried SMART enabled/disabled. It made no difference.

Here we go folks, solved!

All these tests were done with all 4 drives doing extensive disk I/O and then SMART polling the 4 drives.

I plugged 4 drives into the Intel C2550 controller, no SATA link resets/SMART read failures, works perfectly.

I plugged 3 drives into Intel C2550 and 1 into Marvell SE9230, no SATA link resets/SMART read failures, works perfectly.

I plugged 3 drives into Intel C2550 and 1 into Marvell SE9172, no SATA link resets/SMART read failures, works perfectly.

I plugged 4 drives into Marvel SE9230, SATA link resets/SMART read failures, errors. Weird edge case, I guess.

I heard back from ASRock, they didn't get back to me since they were trying to bench test the problem to replicate it. They have been responsive and awesome since then, trying to replicate it. I'm really pleased with their response, I was too quick to jump on them.

This board is now a recommend from me, just don't plug your drives only into the Marvell SE9230 controller! :D

*One caveat being I don't know what happens when all 6 Intel C2550 and all 4 Marvel SE9230 SATA ports are filled up.