6 TB drives on the horizon

Fireball3

This is the newest enterprise-class drive ... I'm sure the price will reflect that (haven't seen the pricing yet).

However ... they're also now shipping a 6TB desktop drive as well !!  :)    A bit pricey - but not really all that bad.  At $50/TB it's only $5/TB more than typical pricing for 4TB units ($45/TB = $180 for 4TB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178520

Unfortunately it's only warranted for one year ... not a good sign.    Hopefully a NAS version will follow in the not-too-distant future.

As soon as the other manufacturers join the market with their products, prices will drop as usual.

The development on the warranty area is indeed not very pleasant for soho.

Since there are just 3 players left on the market the philosophy has dramatically changed.

Not so long ago, almost all drives came with 5y warranty...

To take this into account I decided to take the "RAID" literally:

„Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks“

With a fully redundant server as backup I should be safe enough even when I operate used disks.

I'm acquiring used disks only for my arrays and I'm able to get the 3 and 4 TB drives for about 20€/TB on the market.

If a drive dies I don't care, if it serves me one year or more (and probably most of them will do) I'm already satisfied.

This may change when I'm running out of expansion slots&&memory but at the moment the sky is very high.

I don't disagree with the philosophy of buying inexpensive drive and simply disposing of them.  EXCEPT that with the density of modern drives, the likelihood of a 2nd failure during a rebuild is actually relatively high => clearly a STRONG reason for LimeTech to come out with a dual parity version !!

If you're using relatively low-quality drives, I'd keep the array size moderately small (max 10 drives) to minimize the likelihood of dual-failure-related issues.    Clearly that's also an issue with all drives, but it seems less likely with NAS-quality or enterprise grade drives.

Interestingly, the 4TB version of that model line "STBD" has a 2yr warranty vs the 6TB's 1 and vs. the ST lines 2yr as well.  So it seems like the know, or are hedging their bets that the 6TB might not be as reliable.  I wonder if that will bump up as they get more return data [shrug]