Arch as an HVM domu

I assume this is possible, and maybe I am just missing something or going about it all wrong, but this is what I want.  Essentially I want to install xbmc with a soundcard pass-through for the purpose of being an audio player only.  With Yatse, it seems I have enough control to be happy with what i need/want.  OpenELEC does not appear possible because of the kernel limitations, so this leaves fewer choices.  In this case, I was trying with Arch, but every time I get through the install I cant seem to get grub to function so the system wont boot.

The config is basic, pulled from the arch wiki:

name = 'ArchU_XBMC'
builder = 'hvm'
memory = 512
vcpus = 1
bootloader = "pygrub"
#disk = ['file:/home/arch.iso,hdc:cdrom,r','phy:/dev/mapper/vg_xen-lv_archxbmc,xvda,w']
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mapper/vg_xen-lv_archxbmc,xvda,w', 'file:/home/archlinux-2014.04.01-dual.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:05,bridge=xenbr0' ]

boot='d'

vnc = 1
vnclisten = '0.0.0.0'
vncdisplay = 3

usb = '1'
usbdevice = 'tablet'

pci = [ '04:00.0' ]

The one thing I hate is the lack of mouse support and copy/paste, so any edits are long hand and I cannot even try the generic PV grub.conf they provide because I can't type it all.  I mean I can, but that may not work either.

I would copy the error, but again, i am not able to copy from VNC as I have no mouse.

So yeah, I am trying to figure out is hvm Arch domu possible and if so, what am I missing.  And second, is this my best solution or an I wasting time and instead should go with xbmcubuntu and be done?  I know I managed a windows HVM and a pfsense one as well, so what am I missing with Arch that is causing me such pains?

I assume this is possible, and maybe I am just missing something or going about it all wrong, but this is what I want.  Essentially I want to install xbmc with a soundcard pass-through for the purpose of being an audio player only.  With Yatse, it seems I have enough control to be happy with what i need/want.  OpenELEC does not appear possible because of the kernel limitations, so this leaves fewer choices.  In this case, I was trying with Arch, but every time I get through the install I cant seem to get grub to function so the system wont boot.

The config is basic, pulled from the arch wiki:

name = 'ArchU_XBMC'
builder = 'hvm'
memory = 512
vcpus = 1
bootloader = "pygrub"
#disk = ['file:/home/arch.iso,hdc:cdrom,r','phy:/dev/mapper/vg_xen-lv_archxbmc,xvda,w']
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/mapper/vg_xen-lv_archxbmc,xvda,w', 'file:/home/archlinux-2014.04.01-dual.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:05,bridge=xenbr0' ]

boot='d'

vnc = 1
vnclisten = '0.0.0.0'
vncdisplay = 3

usb = '1'
usbdevice = 'tablet'

pci = [ '04:00.0' ]

The one thing I hate is the lack of mouse support and copy/paste, so any edits are long hand and I cannot even try the generic PV grub.conf they provide because I can't type it all.  I mean I can, but that may not work either.

I would copy the error, but again, i am not able to copy from VNC as I have no mouse.

So yeah, I am trying to figure out is hvm Arch domu possible and if so, what am I missing.  And second, is this my best solution or an I wasting time and instead should go with xbmcubuntu and be done?  I know I managed a windows HVM and a pfsense one as well, so what am I missing with Arch that is causing me such pains?

As usual with Arch, there's an excellent Wiki post. :) I couldn't anything it doesn't say...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xen#Configuring_a_hardware_virtualized_.28HVM.29_Arch_domU

Why not SSH into VM for system management?

I found PUTTY has a (default?) line limitation. I workstation is Linux (Ubuntu/Mint) and I found it's better to SSH in directly from the built-in Terminal. Window resizing works well and copy/paste is not a problem. If you are on a Windows remote client maybe there's a better terminal or PUTTY can be configured for longer lines.

I don't have any experience with HW pass-through in this architecture to see exactly what you're up against. Good luck with the project!

You install it as a PV then convert after I believe...

Or you could try enabling VNC in the cfg and connecting to the console that way. Yes that's probably more likely.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, vnc is what I was doing, the issue was simply that you have no mouse or copy and paste ability...

Regardless, I found my solution.

I needed to add --force to my command:

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --force /dev/xvda

I noted it in a bit more detail here.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=179744