Help with split level setting on shares.

I've had my system setup for a few months and it's been running strong, very happy with it. Only issue I've had so far was dealing with some plugin setup problems.

Any way, quick question I'm hoping someone can help with pertaining to split level setup on my shares. When I initially set up my shares I misread how it works and set all my shares to '0'. A few weeks ago I noticed that all of my movies and tv shows were only being saved to drive1. Did some reading and my roommate clued me in on the fact that I should have set the split level to 2 for what I originally wanted. Went into each share after finding this out and modified each one so that they were all set to split level 2 except for my AppData share on the cache drive. Now, even after a few weeks, unRAID is still only saving my files to drive1 and not spreading my files over the rest of my drives. My question is, did I not do something right when I reconfigured the shares and if not any idea what I may have missed, or do I just need to recreate all my shares then copy my files from the originals to the new one so that the system starts moving them between different drives. Right now all my stuff is located on one drive and if something happens I have a feeling I would loose everything. I'd like to get this rectified as soon as possible to aliviate that possability and also because I have files I still need to move to my server and don't want to mess with that until the system starts spreading things around. :)

I appreciate any help that can be given.

It appears you believe we all are clairvoyant or something like that.

No one can help you unless you tell us what you want to do with your file structure.

Sorry, though I was clear when I said I didn't want all my files to be stored on one disk and that I wanted the files distributed among all of the disks in my array. Looks like I didn't describe the issue enough.

Currently my setup is like so:

Anime (Share) - Show Title Folder - Show Title Files

Audio (Share) - Audio Books\iTunes\Music Folders - Audio files

Backup (Share)

Movies (Share) - Movie Title Folder - Movie Files

TV (Share) - Show Title Folder - Season # Folder - Show files

So, here we go. All my files are currently being stored on one drive (disk1) . I do not want that, I want files to be stored across all drives on my array, which is what I though split level did. I had the initial setting as 0, went back later a set it to 2, but the system still is only saves the files to disk1 and not across the whole array like what I read is supposed to happen. Looking at my roommate's setup, his array has Anime, Audio, Movies, and TV directories on all six of his drives as well as files populating all of said disks, not all of his files populating just one disk. This is what I'm looking for. Any clue as to my next step, if there is one?

Ya, high water says to fill the first disk until it's free space is under 1/2 of the size of the largest disk. ie, fill disk 1 until it has under 1.5T free space left. Use most free if you want to fill more evenly.

Sorry, though I was clear when I said I didn't want all my files to be stored on one disk and that I wanted the files distributed among all of the disks in my array. Looks like I didn't describe the issue enough.

Backup (Share)

No, you were not clear. The split level depends on how many directories in your structure and which directories you want to split across multiple disks. If split level was a 1 setting works for all then it wouldn't be a user setting.

Anime - level 1 to keep each show on a single disk. Might need level 2 if a show is huge. Could also use level 0 and create the top level share on each disk manually. Then, a show would stay on a single disk unless you created it's top level directory on multiple disks.

Audio - level 1 to keep each directory for an artist/author etc together on a single disk.

Movies - level 1 to keep the files for each movie on a single disk.

TV - level 1 to keep each show on a single disk or level 2 to keep each season on a single disk.

Ya, high water says to fill the first disk until it's free space is under 1/2 of the size of the largest disk. ie, fill disk 1 until it has under 1.5T free space left. Use most free if you want to fill more evenly.

Backup (Share)

No, you were not clear. The split level depends on how many directories in your structure and which directories you want to split across multiple disks. If split level was a 1 setting works for all then it wouldn't be a user setting.

Anime - level 1 to keep each show on a single disk. Might need level 2 if a show is huge. Could also use level 0 and create the top level share on each disk manually. Then, a show would stay on a single disk unless you created it's top level directory on multiple disks.

Audio - level 1 to keep each directory for an artist/author etc together on a single disk.

Movies - level 1 to keep the files for each movie on a single disk.

TV - level 1 to keep each show on a single disk or level 2 to keep each season on a single disk.

Got that, but as you can see from the screen shots I provided, I have my TV share set to split-level 2 and unRAID currently is not splitting seasons across multiple disks. It currently has everything saved to disk1 and I have multiple series with multiple seasons. This is where my question lies? How do I fix it so that it uses the split-level I set up for the shares. It's like the OS doesn't even recognize that I chose a split-level setting. Thanks.

Got that, but as you can see from the screen shots I provided, I have my TV share set to split-level 2 and unRAID currently is not splitting seasons across multiple disks. It currently has everything saved to disk1 and I have multiple series with multiple seasons. This is where my question lies? How do I fix it so that it uses the split-level I set up for the shares. It's like the OS doesn't even recognize that I chose a split-level setting. Thanks.

Your screen shots showed that there was 1.79GB free on disk 1.  Since you have the High Water allocation method, nothing will go to the next disk until the free space on disk1 drops below 1.5GB.  If you want a more equal spread change the allocation method to 'Most Free'.