SAB/Sick services

I am not really sure where this should fall, but I am having an issue with these 2 applications when they update themselves and I assume the fix is easy, but I dont know what it is.

I am not actually running the provided appliance and instead just have SAB/Sick installed in my own Arch vm running on my own xen installation.  The final destination is still unraid, but the issue starts before i get there.  I am not running the 2 applications under their default user accounts, instead, I have changed it to be something static for me.  When the service starts as that user life is good.  However, when I do an update, the service is laid back down with the default settings again to essentially they are losing the ability to modify files on my server, so things stop moving around.  SAB will download a file, set the owner as itself and then sick is not able to move the files.  It can read them (I believe), but then nothing gets cleaned up.  I have noticed this now like 2-3 times and finally realized what was happening and traced it back to when I do an update, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any thought about what I might be doing wrong or what needs to be done in order to prevent this behavior.

Heck, last night I saw things go as far as the entire Sab folder /opt/sabnzbd had the wrong permissions so the service could not even start itself until it was modified to 777...

Otherwise, things function great, just a minor PIA whenever things update