[SOLVED] Please help: Odd "empty" folder's in shares, breaking Plex Scanner

I've been using unraid for about 4 months now and have gone through a lot of roadblocks with the help of this awesome community as my linux skills are fairly rudimentary.

The issue I'm having is one that I don't really know how to explain and therefore haven't been able to find any information online anywhere on how to fix it. Please bear with me.

So I have separate shares for Movies and TV Shows setup. I used to have everything on my Windows box but have since copied everything into the unraid array. I then tried to get Plex to scan the folders and Movies wouldn't find anything and TV Shows would only find 2 shows but not all of them.

I noticed via smb shares on Windows that some files in TV Shows didn't have filenames and it appeared to be an episode from that season that had special characters in the name and that wasn't translating properly. I renamed all of those via console and now TV Shows is working great.

Movies however is still not working, and here's the odd part. At the top of the Movies share I see two folders without file names. (See attached "01 odd folders.png") When I double click to open the folder it returns to the same folder but an extra folder chevron (See attached "02 odd folder.png", and "03 odd folder.png").

I can't delete them because it tries to delete the whole movies folder. After adding Movies to Plex I show the folders filter and it has one empty folder that returns to itself just like in windows explorer (See "04 odd folders in Plex.png"). I'm almost certain that this is the issue I'm having.

I can't see these folders under linux or mac.

Does anyone know what that is and how to get rid of it?

01_odd_folders.PNG.10c86d4a334908daeb8592f3757f307c.PNG

02_odd_folders.PNG.cec451a64526f864f2e35c1eb7c4206c.PNG

03_odd_folders.PNG.bd552e48c938a429cb774cc9b79d85ae.PNG

04_odd_folders_in_Plex.PNG.1cdc93090e84c3fdcf15b7891dd5a924.PNG

At the moment I'm using v6 b4. But I've tried 5.05 and 6 b3 and there's no difference.

I've also tried running plex on Windows, Mac, Linux under vm on unraid and on Windows vm. Same result.

Another thing I just noticed is that when I mount the Movies share on a Mac, I can only see 350 of 800 movies.

I've attached how the odd folders appear when navigating in the unraid webgui.

I read up a little about symlink as I thought that might be what this is but I'm not sure.

folders_in_unraid.png.998d5bc24bee35282d2da8a897724090.png

• 1 year later...

I am also having this exact problem and cannot find any other information on this. This worked fine before migrating to UnRaid (From FreeNAS), but now I have the same issues described.

How do I find out what folders have "special characters" in them? Everything is pretty standard in this folder (Just movie names).

Please help! I am running UnRAID v6.1.2

I am also having this exact problem and cannot find any other information on this. This worked fine before migrating to UnRaid (From FreeNAS), but now I have the same issues described.

How do I find out what folders have "special characters" in them? Everything is pretty standard in this folder (Just movie names).

Please help! I am running UnRAID v6.1.2

Make a note of which ever folder that you went into that has the problem (which ever one starts windows in an infinite loop of empty folders)

The log into the server using either the local console, or putty.

Enter the following

mc

Navigate to /mnt/user/whatever share and folder have the problems

Look for a file that has a rectangle in its name.  Rename it to something normal.  Its probably a messed up file from one of your downloads that didn't get renamed correctly.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately I'm not seeing any rectangles. There are about 600 items in this folder so I may have overlooked it. Any way to dump the directory listing and search through it for these problem characters? And why can't unraid handle or ignore them?

Since the timestamp is "unset" you might try sorting on the timestamp. In mc you can do this by clicking on the header of the timestamp column.

I sometimes get files with invalid characters in the name, and they will show up in Windows without a name, but with a timestamp, and I find them in mc by sorting on the timestamp.