myMain Support and Information Thread

myMain is a part of the unmenu package that can be installed HERE

Sample screenshot with basic instructions. See below for additional instructions and links to solve common questions and issues:

Please use this thread to ask questions. I will use this initial message to include helpful links to forum messages that will help with common issues.

mymain1.jpg

Please use this thread to ask questions. I will use this initial message to include helpful links to forum messages that will help with common issues.

myMain Documentation

Additional myMain Documentation - Gives more details on monitoring the syslog, generating smart reports, and using the smart view

Monitoring preclears with myMain - Automatic feature - shows what it looks like.

Diagnosing an HPA warning

Suppressing an HPA warning

Custom myServer and mySlot images

Why does myMain speed show a slower speed that the running preclear script

Simple example of adding a column to a view (need to click on the Detail view to follow this example)

• Upvote 1

A slight update to myMain has been made. It includes 2 changes, one important and one minor.

1 - The important one is that I have added several newer smart attributes (most notably "Runtime_Bad_Block") to the list of items that show up in the "Add'l Issues / Failures" column of the smart screen.

2 - I have added the "speed" column to the list of configurable columns that can be shown in the views. The speed (e.g., 5400, 5900, 7200) is something that you need to enter on the drive's configuration screen.

A slight update to myMain has been made. It includes 2 changes, one important and one minor.

How do you install the update?    If I do a "Check for UnMenu updates on the User Scripts page in UnMenu, it doesn't list any recent MyMain changes.    Will this be updated soon?

... or does the update need to be installed independently?  [And if so, how?]

How do you install the update?    If I do a "Check for UnMenu updates on the User Scripts page in UnMenu, it doesn't list any recent MyMain changes.    Will this be updated soon?

... or does the update need to be installed independently?  [And if so, how?]

Your update process should have updated the file. Can't look now, but if you do an ...

ls -la /boot/unmenu/drive*.awk

You should see a file (I think it is called "drivedb.library.awk" or something similar). Post the output of the command above and I can confirm that it is the latest.

Is there a liklihood MyMain will becoime an independant plugin that can work with the standard WebGUI and not rely on unMENU ?

Asked in another thread -- but probably best answered here.

No current plans. If there is a significant demand to see this happen, please let me know and I will consider it.

There have been cases where unRAID's web gui has become unresponsive yet unmenu is still alive and kicking. Just a couple weeks ago unRAID wouldn't stop the array (probably because I had an open files somewhere). I was able to use unmenu to see the array, and then use the powerdown script to reboot the server, without having to use the command line.

ls -la /boot/unmenu/drive*.awk

You should see a file (I think it is called "drivedb.library.awk" or something similar). Post the output of the command above and I can confirm that it is the latest.

The output of that command is:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 73745 2014-04-14 06:22 /boot/unmenu/drivedb.lib.awk*

I have a question about the Smart View of myMain.

As you will see in the screenshot each of my drives shows a warning about load cycle count, even though the description from Wikipedia (which is also captured in the screenshot) indicates that WD Green drives should be good for 300,000, whereas my "warnings" range from 1000-60000.

I am confused why these are popping up as warnings given the low values. Is there something I am missing?

Load_Cycle_Count.jpg.1fdc90e62450979d58110615e72ace21.jpg

Your values aren't "low" => they're well below the thresholds for the drives, but that's quite a few load cycles for drives with such a relatively low number of power-on hours.

You have a couple of choices ...

(a)  Don't worry about it.  You can set MyMain to ignore the values & it won't show you the warnings anymore.  bjp has outlined how to do this already.

(b)  Change the behavior of the drives so the won't unload the heads so frequently.  How to do that is outlined here:

http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_stop_excessive_load_cycles_on_the_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_with_wdidle3

I have a question about the Smart View of myMain.

As you will see in the screenshot each of my drives shows a warning about load cycle count, even though the description from Wikipedia (which is also captured in the screenshot) indicates that WD Green drives should be good for 300,000, whereas my "warnings" range from 1000-60000.

I am confused why these are popping up as warnings given the low values. Is there something I am missing?

Load cycle counts (LCCs) are sort of an odd attribute. The logic that myMain uses, is that if the LCCs are larger than the powered on hours, or if they are larger than some fixed number (5000 I think), then the warning will show up.

When I programmed myMain, there was (and still is) debate on whether the LCCs are really a problem or not. It was my goal to let people know that the LCCs are piling up early. because as you probably know, there is a way to make the drives not do them nearly as often. Giving the warning early gives user a reason to research the issue and slow them down sooner rather than later. If you haven't already, suggest you look into ways to slow down the LCCs.

So no doubt you now know about LCCs. :) What you might not know is it is easy to set your own limit of when to be reminded again.

All you have to do is click on one of the yellow warning message (e.g., click on the "load_cycle_count=2933"). It will open the disk configuraiton screen and set an optional attribute called "load_cycle_count_ok" to the current value (e.g., 2933). With this setting an LCC of 2933 or lower on this drive would be ignored. The problem is the LCCs will continue to increase, and you don't want the message to reappear when it goes up to 2934, which is exactly what would happen. What you need to do is set the value to something higher. 10000, 100000, 250000. Whatever you want. Make sure to hit the save button after setting the value. The LCCs will silently increase and there will be no warning on the screen until it hits that level UNLESS you use the "RAW" refresh (see the 2nd two refresh buttons).

So if you work yourself down the list and update the number on each drive to something considerably higher than the current value, then all of the warnings will be cleared for some time to come.

BTW, this technique works with any reported SMART attribute. Unless it is something bad and I intend to replace the drive, I will do this whenever I see a warning. That way I know when I come back that an attribute has gotten worse.

Thanks Gary & BJP.

As usual it's going to be a bit of a pain to fix each drive since they suggest you do it with only one drive at a time, but it's worth it to try and prolong the drives.

As usual I appreciate you both jumping in with comments and clarifications.

Changing the warning level is very quick! Hope my instructions were clear enough to change them.

Learning the technique to slow down the LCCs may take a little time. I have never done it but after you do the first one, expect the rest will go quickly.

Thanks Gary & BJP.

As usual it's going to be a bit of a pain to fix each drive since they suggest you do it with only one drive at a time, but it's worth it to try and prolong the drives.

As usual I appreciate you both jumping in with comments and clarifications.

Changing the warning level is very quick! Hope my instructions were clear enough to change them.

Learning the technique to slow down the LCCs may take a little time. I have never done it but after you do the first one, expect the rest will go quickly.

I think I would like to fix the disks rather than just hide the warning as I would rather extend the life of the disks, but I have them all in a Norco 4224 case, so plugging in one at a time is a challenge. I may need to setup another system and just take each disk out, fix it, and reinstall.

Your instructions did make sense though. Just after reading the article Gary posted it seems like something I don't necessarily want to bandaid over.

You need to do both. The procedure won't decrease the LCCs, just make them not grow as fast. You'll still want to hide the yellow warnings. You can just set them up to remind you when they reach a certain level (maybe 2000 higher than the current value). That should keep you a while after you do the procedure.

Not too much of a pain, since you have hot-swap bays in your Norco.  Just set up a 2nd PC with convenient access to a SATA port (put a long cable on one and a power cable so you can just set the drive externally);  then power down UnRAID, and just start pulling a drive; connecting it to the SATA port; booting (since you have to boot to a DOS environment, this will be VERY quick); running WDIdle (a few seconds); turn off the PC; unplug the drive and pop it back in the Norco ... and repeat until done  :)

I'd guess that once you have the boot CD (or floppy if your PC supports it) set up, and the WDIdle command line memorized, you'll be able to do this whole process in less than 2 minutes/drive.

You need to do both.

Good point.  Changing the behavior with WDIdle clearly doesn't change the number of load cycles that have already occurred, so you definitely need to adjust the warning levels in MyMain, assuming you don't want to see them all the time  :)

Yup, good point. I guess the WD tool is handy, but can't go back in time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will do it.

Have you tried looking in the "About" tab on unMENU.  Each plugin module has a revision number and most have a version number too.

It looks a lot like this:

unmenu.awk: Version 1.6 Revision: 270  Joe L.... with modifications as suggested by bjp999, mvdzwaan, and many others

Plug-in-modules
07-unmenu-mymain.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - preclear support - Revision: 262 
08-unmenu-array_mgmt.awk: 1.2.4 - fixed path to md.c to detect NOCORRECT mode - Revision: 250 
09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk: 1.7 - fixed "mount" command to get file system type even if disk is apparently not spinning (where temp = "*" or "") - Revision: 232 
10-unmenu-links.awk: 1.2 Fixed increment of link counter - Revision: 7  
15-unmenu-disk_perf.cgi: 1 - improved css by zoggy - Revision: 7  
15-unmenu-network_perf.cgi: 1 - improved formatting by zoggy - Revision: 190 
16-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: 1.0  - modified by bjp999, Use common routines to generate enhanced syslog viewer - Revision: 178 
17-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .9  - added css class to fieldset - mvdzwaan - Revision: 7  
18-unmenu-lsof.awk: Version: .1  - Joe L. - Revision: 7  
20-unmenu-usage.awk: 1.0 - Revision: 7  
200-unmenu-smarthistory.cgi: 1.1 - added tests for directory, file, and php - Revision: 7  
25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk: 1.2 deal with appostraphe in file name - Revision: 7  
29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk: 1.6 - Added -l option to free to show "low" memory. Joe L. - Revision: 271 
30-unmenu-file_browser.awk: 1.1.6 update allowd disk array to have members greater than disk15. - Revision: 234 
40-unmenu-iso_share.awk: 1.2 Added formatting of "ls" date/time string to allow consistent parse of file path - Joe L.   - Revision: 236 
50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi: .5 - Added css for submit button - mvzdwaan - Revision: 171 
600-unmenu-file_edit.awk: .2.1 Fixed error out of "ls" when directory does not exist.  Joe L. - Revision: 119 
99-unmenu-myMain-Config.awk: 1.0 - Part of myMain 12-1-10 release, contributed by bjp999 - Revision: 246 
99-unmenu-utility.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - smartctl support - Revision: 246 
990-unmenu-wget.awk: 3.0   Added 64bit compatible flag to packages. - Revision: 246 
999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk: 1.2 Joe L. -- Added code to detect presence of /etc/unraid-version and change main URL accordingly - Revision: 244