[SOLVED] - Orange Disk Ball - reiserfs

Orange or Red, does it really matter here? Both drives are "unformatted".

It does. Unformatted is not the current issue. The array first needs to have all good/green disks. Then the lack of formatting can be addressed.

The color indicating that data is on the cache drive only makes sense in the context of the shares page and we agree that an orange/yellow indicator on the shares page means that data is on the cache drive. On unRAID main the wiki is correct in that the color on unRAID main indicates a partially rebuilt disk. A disk share cannot use the cache drive.

Since disk 5 went red during the rebuild of disk2 we now have 2 disks that are not green. Do you have the original disk2? Is the disk OK? Otherwise, follow the instructions in Reply 22.

Modified. The array starts and the good disk are usable. disk2 and disk 5 do not share. They are all the original disk that were in the array. Disk 2 and 5 pass SMART and Self test. Tried multiple power and SATA connectors and 2 SATA ports with no luck of getting disk 5 to not red ball. 

I am going look at post 20 now. is this the next step you guys recommend. If I do this, will my current good disk be OK? In theory as long as nothing else happens.

I want to thank all of you for your help and any future help. I think I've lost what little hair I had left after last night. i had to take a break for a couple hours.

Disk 5 appears to be responding correctly. You'll need to set a new config and then rebuild disk2. See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32491.msg298738#msg298738

If I follow this I replace 10 with 2.

I just wanna be sure I get this right.

<quote>

> 1. Execute Utilities/New Config.

>

> 2. on Main, assign all your drives, being very careful to assign Parity and your new disk (disk10) correctly.

>

> 3. From a console or a telnet session type this command:

>

> mdcmd  set  invalidslot  10

>

> (the 10 corresponds to disk10)

>

> 4. Click 'Start' on the webGui.

>

> What should happen now is array gets started with disk10 reconstruct in process.

>

> IMPORTANT: between steps 3 and 4 do NOT refresh your browser or navigate to any other pages in the webGui - just click the Start button which is already being displayed there (if you navigate to a different page or even refresh the browser after step 3 it will "cancel" the effect of that 'mdcmd' and result in your parity disk getting written - not good).

</quote>

Well guys, I did it. I posted a screen shot from right after hitting start.

I turned on Caffeine. I am not gonna refresh the browser for as long as I can even though I think I can at this point.

I will post the results after it finishes. I can see disk 2 says 449GB used so thats a good sign.

Again, Thanks for all of your help. Some of you are pure genius. I love unRaid and this community. I leaned a lot in the past years setting up and maintaining this array.

I hope I don't need any more help. Will post the results, good or bad, whatever they may be.

P.S. = I am going order locking SATA cables and two hard drives right now.

Screen_Shot.jpg.1d7ae9b2cc9cd2cecfef544d598eb416.jpg

STOP!

Orange Ball icon means you have data on the cache drive that has not been moved to the data drive, via the Mover script. That is all. This is NOT an issue.

Red Ball means that drive has at least 1 failed write. That is an issue.

This is incorrect. See here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Un-Official_UnRAID_Manual#Colored_status_indicator

That list of "colors/status"  in the wiki is out-of-date and incomplete. 

As already described, Orange=data on cache drive, not yet moved to data drive by "mover" process.

Edit: as I've learned by reading more of this thread, orange also has other meanings, depending on the disk involved.

Joe L.

I am currently doing one. Had a few important files I wanted to get off before anything else happened.

Would you recommend a correcting check?

I did a non-correcting first to see if there would be any conflicts. And then I'll do a correcting one.

Is that a waste of time or a safe thing to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk