problem/question with CM Stacker case

bdee1

ok so i just got all my parts this afternoon.  i got the mobo mounted int he stacker case and just started sliding in the drives.  the first thing that i noticed that could be a problem is that all the new stacker cases (at least the ones available on newegg) have the top drive bay taken up by a bunch of usb ports and the power and reset buttons.  if i take this out of the top slot then how will i turn the system on and off?  and if i don't take it out, how do i fit 12 drives in it?

and also if you look at the following link you can see that in bays 2-4 is a cage containing a fan.  i was able to remove that but it seems like an odd spot for it.

thoughts?

You do remove both the 2-4 cage and the power panel at the top.  Tom's shipped systems use the power switches on the Power supplies to turn the systems off and on.  I disassembled the control panel and took out just the power and reset button board and then ran the cable out the back.  That way I still have real power button and don't have to get to the bottom of the case to turn the 2nd PS off.  Then I added a little tape to keep it in place.

100_0614.jpg

Larger Picture - http://picasaweb.google.com/hypyke/Misc/photo#4995516435328729106

wow - really good thinking.  I just gave it a try (jumper on the power sw pins, and removed the stuff from the top bay), but when i turn on the power supply, the ligtsh go on, the fans spin up just like normal and i get a single normal soundign beep from the system speaker and then it shuts completely down.  all the while no output at all to the screen ... any thoughts?

I just thre a jumper on the Mobo wher that switch connects to and I use the power supply switch to turn it off/on.

It reall cleans up the look of the from, IMO.

i really would like to do it this way but when i put a jumper on the power switch pins i get the problem i described above (starts to boot then shuts off) but if i attach the awitch, and use that it seems to work fine.  is there a bios settign or somethgin i need to change to allow me to just put a jumper on the power switch pins and have it work?  btw i have the asus P5PE-VM mobo.

You need to use the front panel switch once to initially power up the motherboard and get into its bios settings.

Once in the bios, there is a setting to automatically power on and boot up when power is restored.  Once that option is set, you no longer need the switch.  That is how Tom set up my server.

Joe L.

You need to use the front panel switch once to initially power up the motherboard and get into its bios settings.

Once in the bios, there is a setting to automatically power on and boot up when power is restored.  Once that option is set, you no longer need the switch.  That is how Tom set up my server.

Joe L.

thanks for the suggestion... i just tried it though and it still didnt work.  after changing the bios setting andthen shutting down and putting the jumper on the power switch pins, i had the same result.  i turn on the power supply, everythgin spins up and i get a beep andthen it shits down.

any other suggestions?  it seems like i ought to be able to do this

After  setting the "auto power on" option in the bios you need to remove the jumper you added to the motherboard.

Right now, the server is powering itself on, then seeing the jumper you put on the motherboard, and thinking it represents someone pressing the power button to power off.... so it powers down.

ok now it seems to be working.  i put the normal power button back on, powered up and then shut down using the power supply switch.  then i removed the power switch and now it turns on using the power supply switch.  but one thing i thought of is that when i am powered up and looking at the console, if i press the regular power button, it unmounts the drives and what not and properly shuts down.  when i turn it off using the power supply switch it obviously just kills power without proper shutdown.  is that going to hurt anything?

ok now it seems to be working.  i put the normal power button back on, powered up and then shut down using the power supply switch.  then i removed the power switch and now it turns on using the power supply switch.  but one thing i thought of is that when i am powered up and looking at the console, if i press the regular power button, it unmounts the drives and what not and properly shuts down.  when i turn it off using the power supply switch it obviously just kills power without proper shutdown.  is that going to hurt anything?

You can telnet to "tower" (or whatever you named your server) and then log in as "root"

Once logged in, you can type "powerdown"

The drives will be unmounted, and then you can turn the power switch off on the power supplies.

According to Tom, once he gets true power management working, the powerdown command will turn off the power supply as well and you will not need to physically switch them off. That should happen in the 3.1  release if he has the UPS monitoring feature implemented.

Joe L.

i have thought about getting the momentary switch as suggested by Kevin.  but i was hoping to no have to use the wires from the original power switch (in case i want to use it with another pc.  where can i get new wires nd the 2 pin connector?

Not sure of a source.  I just salvaged it from the Stacker wiring harness.

Kevin