Need Help with Plex Icons for Movies/TV Shows Etc

Hi All,

I came to this forum because you all specialize in Unix/Linux Code for Unraid. I've been trying to figure out where I'm going wrong with this. I would like to change the Icon in the plex web and outside of the house IE Phone or roku at another location. I've researched and found instruction on changing the icons using SQLite Manager in Firefox. I use that per the instructions I've found on the web. The instructions have me editing the "com.plexapp.plugins.library.db" file.

Here is the location of the instructions

http://raspberrypihtpc.wordpress.com/how-to/how-to-plex-media-server-change-the-section-icons/

or

http://linuxpluse.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/custom-icon-for-plex-media-server/

Where I think I'm running into the problem is the correct location that the files (icons) are located and how to have the correct format for their location. I would like to use them locally on the same unraid server either on a share or cache drive.

Lets say I want to place them in the plex folder on my cache drive where the library and tmp folder are located. Would i type this?

file://name of my server/mnt/cache/plex/Plex Icons/New Releases.png

but if say I wanted to place the icons on a drive share in the unraid server would i type this?

file://name of my server/mnt/disk10/My Files Backup/Plex Icons/New Releases.png

I'm lost in this as even if I use the copy text from address bar from say a website sharing the icon in doesn't work. If anyone else has succeeded in doing this please let me know if you can't just shut off the plex server and edit the file save it and restart the plex server or do I need to do a complete Unraid reboot each time i want to test a new icon.

Thank you for any help you can offer,

I edited my icons following those directions. I had to put the icon files in a Dropbox share folder and use the URL for that as the link. I couldn't get it to work from a local share location.

I never had to reboot the server. Just make sure to Stop Plex while you make the database changes or you will corrupt the database. Start Plex again after you make the changes and the new icons should show up. Note that the icons on the iPhone app don't change but everywhere else they do. 

If you are trying to use the local Folder locations, you cannot us file:// to your location, you have to use the actual location ie. /mnt/cache/Apps/plex/plexicon.png...one for each section you want to change.... I struggled with the instructions for a while as well, I'm not sure where the file:// came into play, but I have done this on pms for Mac / Windows / and Linux and file:/ does not work on any of them!!.... If that doesn't work for you, I can probably upload a sample of my plex.db for you to look at with the editor

If you are trying to use the local Folder locations, you cannot us file:// to your location, you have to use the actual location ie. /mnt/cache/Apps/plex/plexicon.png...one for each section you want to change.... I struggled with the instructions for a while as well, I'm not sure where the file:// came into play, but I have done this on pms for Mac / Windows / and Linux and file:/ does not work on any of them!!.... If that doesn't work for you, I can probably upload a sample of my plex.db for you to look at with the editor

Jevanso4 thank you for the answer. I'll check out drop box sometime further for other projects and ideas.

Clowrym thank you that did the trick. It worked for me local and remote. I thought I tried this yesterday as well but I must have typed something wrong in the link. Thus why I came here today.

Thank you both for your answers. 

• 8 years later...