Hyper-V Unraid Networking Support

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It does work, but only for the free version. Need to clone the Storage device (Hyper-V doesn't let you boot from USB).

The new licencing for the free version means it's not really worth while :(

After the unRAID OS is booted from a virtual-disk, is there no way to pass-through the USB flash device to meet unRAID license requirements? This is how most ESXI unRAID users are doing it, so wouldn't it be possible to do so with Hyper-V?

MS added some USB Passthrough support in Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V , here's a walkthrough on what steps are needed to do, but I'm not sure if this would work for unRAID or not (uncertain if it passes the device GUID to the guest VM) -- http://www.msserverpro.com/support-for-usb-access-in-windows-server-2012-r2-hyper-v-through-microsofts-new-virtual-machine-enhanced-session-mode/

Unfortunately that passthrough doesn't work with unRAID.  All that does is "share" the USB device, it will not let you boot from it.  There is also a way to "passthrough" USB hard drives in Hyper-V right now by taking it offline in the disk manager and then passing it through as a disk in the guest settings.  However you can't do this with flash devices which makes the whole thing moot for our purposes.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here for this as well. I have a use case where the docker management from UNRAID (I already own and is amazing) would do wonders to have as a Hyper-v VM. Problem is that flash still isn't supported to take "off-line" and therefore cant meet the license requirements. Hoping this gets resurrected!