[SOLVED] USB SSD and a DL380

Hi,

Ok, I'm new here so apologies if I have chosen the wrong forum. Moderators: please advise and / or move if appropriate! I have been searching the forums and the Wiki, but can't find the answer to

I currently have my home media server (Plex / SabNZB / Couch Potato / Sick Beard) running on an HP DL380- G5 (16Gb RAM, 2  x 3GHz Xeon processors) under Windows2008 R2. I have a hardware RAID array internally (8 x 300Gb) and 2 x 3Tb external drives connected via USB (thse are not reported by Windows as "external" or "removable"). I also have a 250Gb SSD available, but not currently connected.

I have been having some stability and performance issues and am looking to move to UnRAID. As this is still proof-of-concept (and I have to keep initial costs down) I am looking to use the free version initially.

My plan is to set it up as follows...

Re-configure the internal array as a single 2.4Gb "disk".

Create an UnRAID array with the internal and the two 3Tb disks (one as parity).

Install the SSD not as part of the array and use it for scratch / temporary workspace for the Media apps. (I don't believe the free version supports cache? Once I upgrade, I would also use this drive for that purpose.

So, questions....

[*]Can these USB drives be used as part of an UnRAID array?

[*]Will the SSD count against my "3 drive" limit if it is not part of the array?

[*]The DL380 has two NICs. My Switch supports teaming (link aggregation), does UnRAID?

[*]Can I mount the USB drives (currently NTFS) onto the UnRAID server in order to copy the data before re-formatting and adding them to the array?

All feedback gratefully appreciated!

I may have other questions as I progress.

• Can these USB drives be used as part of an UnRAID array?
  • Will the SSD count against my "3 drive" limit if it is not part of the array?
  • The DL380 has two NICs. My Switch supports teaming (link aggregation), does UnRAID?
  • Can I mount the USB drives (currently NTFS) onto the UnRAID server in order to copy the data before re-formatting and adding them to the array?

1.  No, usb drives cannot be part of the 'protected' array, However they can be mounted on /mnt outside of the protected array manually or via the SNAP plugin

2.  No. If it is mounted outside the array it is not counted as part of the array drive count.

3.  unRAID supports link aggregation.  I'm unfamiliar with it's use. There are threads about it on the forum.

4. Yes, you can mount the NTFS USB drive outside of the array and copy files to the protected drives.

Thanks for the response!

1. is a real bummer. I guess I was confused due to the number of people flagging up "good deals" on large USB drives. Why would you install them if not as part of the array?

If I were to use the full Slackware version (I read on the Wiki that "pretty much anything is then possible") could I then make the USB drives part of the array?

for unRAID or the slackware version, There might be a way to hack the naming definition in /dev/disk/by-id, however I would not recommend it.

There might be another way to do it via XEN also. I have no knowledge on that.

Perhaps you should send an inquiry to Tom.

My understanding is that the USB interface is not as controllable as a SATA/eSATA interface.

In addition USB 2.0 maxes out around 25MB/s. This would severely hamper parity generate or check speeds.

If your server can accept other SATA cards and/or do eSATA from internal ports with brackets, that will work fine.

I've done that for years with good results. Also unRAID supports Port Multipliers so the right controller and external chassis can provide some decent expansion.

1. is a real bummer. I guess I was confused due to the number of people flagging up "good deals" on large USB drives. Why would you install them if not as part of the array?
They are flagged because you can remove the SATA drive from the case and then use the bare drive in your array.  The externals have been lower in price then their bare versions.  Problem with doing that is that you might not be able to RMA the drive if you remove it from the case.  But I've seen more posts from those actually ABLE to return them then those that were refused - so that may be a NON issue.

Thanks, both of you! That certainly makes some sense now!

For me, it isn't so much about performance (especially as I was planning on using the SSD as cache eventually) as it is about capacity and ease of expansion. My DL380 doesn't have any spare room inside, nor does it have any SATA slots, so I will need to get a SATA card and then figure out a way to hook up the drives as eSATA.

I reckon an old PC case full of drives hooked up to a SATA port multiplier connected to my server may well do the trick :-)