Missing files in SMB shares in Nautilus *and elsewhere

Many (most) of my files do not appear in my shares over Samba when browsing the network using Nautilus in Ubuntu. I can see all the files over SMB if I manually mount it using:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=username,password=password //Tower/Videos MountPoint

But when I try to browse the share in Ubuntu's file browser Natilus (using the "Browse Network" sidebar) most of the files don't appear. I believe this feature uses gvfs, but I'm not exactly sure how that works. I have enabled "Show Hidden Files" in Nautilus to no avail. If I open up a terminal session to the gvfs mount point (/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=tower.local,share=videos/Movies) and execute ls -al, the files are not there.

I am aware that Samba maps certain file attributes to others. However, the permissions on all my videos appear to be the same, yet some are visible in Nautilus while others are not.

Here is some sample output of ls -alh when executed on the Unraid machine directly:

-r--r--r-- 1 nobody users  5.0G Sep 20  2013 Video1.mkv
-r--r--r-- 1 nobody users   16G May 13  2013 Video2.mkv

Video1.mkv is visible, while Video2.mkv is not.

It's just a minor inconvenience to have to manually mount the shares, and I could just put it in /etc/fstab, but it would be nice if I were able to browse the shares directly in Nautilus. It seems like the problem might have to with the way Ubuntu is mounting the share, but I haven't had this problem in the past viewing other SMB shares in Nautilus.

I'm running Unraid 6.0 beta 5. Any suggestions are appreciated.

It gets stranger.

I am running an Ubuntu Server virtual machine on my unRAID box using Xen. On that virtual machine, I manually mounted an SMB share containing my movie collection at /media/Movies. Executing "ls -al /media/Movies" gives me a listing of all of my movies.

Here's where it gets very strange. I am running an instance of Plex Media Server on that same Ubuntu Server VM. When I add /media/Movies to my Plex movie collection, Plex Media Server only finds SOME of the movies -- in fact, the movies that it finds are the SAME few files that appear when I browse the Samba fileshare in Nautilus (described in post #1)!

This must be more than coincidence. There must be something different about these two sets of files - those which can be seen in Nautilus/Plex and those which can't. At this point, I'm not certain if this is an issue with unRAID, the files, or the Samba clients.